??????? Help!!

Chipk

Elite Member
Found these today. Believe they may be coins.

They came from an area that dates to the 1700s. The small one rang 72-73 on the ATP ( penny) and the big one rang in at 82 (quarter). Strong magnets do not hold them. It appears the small one has EN stamped on it.

What's the best way to clean them without causing any damage? I've applied a soft bristle toothbrush and water and also a toothpick. But I'm scared of damaging them so I stopped.

HELP!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_2445.jpg
    IMG_2445.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 400
I have use Hydrogen Peroxided and tooth picks on Indian head pennies so you may want to give this a try. You have to heat the peroxided first so do a search on how to do it.

Ray

Found these today. Believe they may be coins.

They came from an area that dates to the 1700s. The small one rang 72-73 on the ATP ( penny) and the big one rang in at 82 (quarter). Strong magnets do not hold them. It appears the small one has EN stamped on it.

What's the best way to clean them without causing any damage? I've applied a soft bristle toothbrush and water and also a toothpick. But I'm scared of damaging them so I stopped.

HELP!!!

Definitely a wheat cent on the left. Given the condition, that soils is rough on metal. Either really acidic or lots of fertilizer. The one on the right would appear to be a large cent or colonial, but with how the soils are, it may not be salvageable. I recommend using only a toothbrush or brass bristle brush when the coin is bone dry. Light fast brushing. Don't push too hard. You want to remove dirt while leaving the verdigris (green crusty stuff). The verdigris usually has some detail left of what was on the coin, so you don't want to take that off or it will just leave a pitted copper disk. Trying to brush it while wet, using electrolysis, and olive oil soaking all tend to remove verdigris. My recommendation is let it dry completely and light and fast brushing with soft bristles. A toothpick can be used carefully to pull some fine detail as well, but don't push or scrape too hard or again, verdigris pops off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These ground coppers are sometimes a real tough one.

Do the brushing and then maybe shine a flashlight on it from the side.

This way you'll see more detail.

Measure the outside diameter with caliper too.

Non-damaged coins often hold their size pretty good.

Keep us posted!

Like Digger-Dave said, turn off the lights and shine a flashlight from the side to take photo of the big coin. It will really help with details.

It may have a left facing bust but I'm not sure.

It may also be an old trade token. I have a couple about that size.

Nice work. Looks like some lettering at the bottom of your pic on the larger coin. I would start there for an ID. Kinda looks like a raised rim and possibly stars on the bottom left quarter (7 ish oclock position)

IMG_2443.jpg

Everybody that has taken a stab at your item ID's is wrong so far. Not sure why it is so difficult.

The one on the left is a USA "dime". Circa 2016. Value .10c. The one on the right is commonly known as a USA "quarter". Each are sub-species of a genre known as "clad".

How deep were they ? And ... no offense .... but most of us are bored finding coins that new. :friends:

Everybody that has taken a stab at your item ID's is wrong so far. Not sure why it is so difficult.

The one on the left is a USA "dime". Circa 2016. Value .10c. The one on the right is commonly known as a USA "quarter". Each are sub-species of a genre known as "clad".

How deep were they ? And ... no offense .... but most of us are bored finding coins that new. :friends:

Friends don't let friends detect drunk! Be a designated detector! :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom