What’s the best hand digger out there?

spenglure

Elite Member
Looking for suggestions on the best hand digger out there. I’ve seen some nice hand diggers with serrated edges. How about those? I’ve used a Garret hand digger in the past and it bent out on me all the time. Looking for something high grade steel that doesn’t bend when digging.

I use a lesche, Thing will not bend no matter how hard I pry on it.
If im not mistaken it is made by predator tools, (from the link above) Thats why everyone copies it.

The regular Lesche can be ordered with serrated edges on your choice of side and is near indestructible.
Still I have broken two because I pry and abuse them so much.
Lifetime warranty, they got replaced in a week.

In really good soil where you need to scoop out and go deep I think the Predator Raptor is perfect for that.

I use a lesche too (the one with the red handle). Works great, had it for a little over a year now and it's still going strong.

Before that I used a cheap foldable camping shovel which I got for $5. Also used that for a year and it's still fine. But most cheap shovels you get out there break in no time (that $5 shovel was an exception), so don't be afraid to spend money on something that's guaranteed to last.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will go with lesche. I have a Lesche shovel and it’s phenomenal. Makes sense for me to continue supporting them.

Well the "Lesche" name is associated with at least two companies. Both claim they're the real Lesche. The two I know of are Predator and W.W. Manufacturing.

I'm pretty sure the Predator "Lesche" diggers are only sold by Predator.

W.W. Manufacturing "Lesche" diggers are sold at various detector shops, Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc.

I have no idea of the differences between the two companies. I personally use the Predator, but I have no experience with the W.W. Manufacturing products.

-Joe

Well the "Lesche" name is associated with at least two companies. Both claim they're the real Lesche. The two I know of are Predator and W.W. Manufacturing.

I'm pretty sure the Predator "Lesche" diggers are only sold by Predator.

W.W. Manufacturing "Lesche" diggers are sold at various detector shops, Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc.

I have no idea of the differences between the two companies. I personally use the Predator, but I have no experience with the W.W. Manufacturing products.

-Joe

The W. W. is the one that makes
My Lesche shovel. Never knew two companies made Lesche.

The W. W. is the one that makes
My Lesche shovel. Never knew two companies made Lesche.

Yes, it's confusing and I'm not sure which to believe.

Predator Tools makes the following statements on their web site:

"Predatortools® is a Registered Trademark and cannot be used without expressed written permission of George Lesche"

"All of our digging tools and shovels are proudly Made in the USA. Each tool is individually made with Chrome Molly 4130, heat treated, and tempered to ensure the highest quality product. George Lesche Sr. set the standard in tools used for metal detecting and gardening. Also in use with the United States military. All tools carry a 5 year warranty. If it does not carry the eagle symbol stamped into the blade it is not a Predatortools® tool."

They have several videos with George Lesche and he signs his name to the Customer Support page.

W.W. Manufacturing makes the following statements on their web site:

"For almost 50 years now, W.W. Manufacturing Co. has been creating custom made quality products for the nursery and landscaping industry. Known to most as the King of Spades or Lesche Products, W.W. Mfg. has set the industry standard in design and quality for spades and rakes nation wide."

"W. W. Manufacturing Co., Inc.'s founder, Walter Lesche, immigrated from Germany to the United States of America in 1952 where he worked in the welding and machine shop of the world's first frozen food processing plant."

"W. W. Manufacturing Co., Inc. is the sole manufacturer of products with the registered trademark “Lesche” and “King of Spades.”

"Since Walter's death in 2002, his family has taken up the mantle to continue the standards of excellence he established during his lifetime."

So will the REAL Lesch manufacturer please stand up? I have no idea!

-Joe

I spoke with George on the phone about a year ago and asked him what was the deal. He didn’t go into too much detail but basically said he and previous partners (assuming family members) parted ways and he lost rights to the website and even the trademark Lesche name. He and his wife then formed Predator Tools. Same great quality and now a bigger selection of tools.

George is a super nice guy and a pleasure to deal with. The tools I’ve gotten from Predator have been top notch. Will definitely continue to buy from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the White's Digmaster, with the serrated edge on both sides. Tough tool! I'm a believer in double serrated. Roots show up on either side quite frequently, and a quick rip usually does it.
Never used a Lesche, so I can't compare them.

I can cut plugs and remove them the fastest with the Predator Tools Raptor, and as of right now it's my favorite digging tool. I also concur the Whites Digmaster is a great digging tool. For the money it's hard to beat, and very tough. Actually I have been carrying both lately.

I'm lucky to have a brick and mortar store close. After holding the Leshe and the white's digmaster in hand, I thought the digmaster was better built. The only thing I don't like about the Digmaster is the "Made in Taiwain" sticker.
"

The White's Digmaster is a really good digging tool....strong and it has serrated edges on both sides. Tip is still sharp after a lot of use. You can't go wrong with this one.

I spoke with George on the phone about a year ago and asked him what was the deal. He didn’t go into too much detail but basically said he and previous partners (assuming family members) parted ways and he lost rights to the website and even the trademark Lesche name. He and his wife then formed Predator Tools. Same great quality and now a bigger selection of tools.

George is a super nice guy and a pleasure to deal with. The tools I’ve gotten from Predator have been top notch. Will definitely continue to buy from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow very interesting. Definitely sounds like a family business falling out. I will check out the predator rapture mentioned below. That and the white’s are what I am looking for.

George Lesche and his wife Pam have been a guest on the "All Metal Mode Podcast" once or twice. Go listen and you'll get the scoop. Once I listened and heard how passionate they are, I decided to support them and buy their tools.

He and Predator Tools seems to go the extra mile to make sure quality is top notch and that parts are sourced locally in the US. There is a premium price, but you get premium quality. I think Predator Tools basically tries to make tools that are unbreakable under anything but the MOST extreme circumstances.

I decided to support him by getting two diggers so far. I have the Raptor and the Model 58s (Little Eagle)

I also have a Whites Digmaster and it is great. I really like the fat handle on it.

-D

George Lesche and his wife Pam have been a guest on the "All Metal Mode Podcast" once or twice. Go listen and you'll get the scoop. Once I listened and heard how passionate they are, I decided to support them and buy their tools.

He and Predator Tools seems to go the extra mile to make sure quality is top notch and that parts are sourced locally in the US. There is a premium price, but you get premium quality. I think Predator Tools basically tries to make tools that are unbreakable under anything but the MOST extreme circumstances.

I decided to support him by getting two diggers so far. I have the Raptor and the Model 58s (Little Eagle)

I also have a Whites Digmaster and it is great. I really like the fat handle on it.

-D

What is better in your opinion, the Raptor or the serrated edge one like a Lesche or Digmaster? I'm looking for a hand tool that is the best for digging plugs that are easier on nice lawns, yet something that dig fairly easy to the target.

Back
Top Bottom