Just got the Tesoro cortez

trouble hunter

I have read thru the info on how to's and haven't got to far yet
(first off is this a machine that is worth learning
(second is this machine one of the better machines
(third I have been doing bunches of reading on the forum and I haven't found much info on the Cortez if any at all should this tell me something I'll need to learn the ground balance and the disc also

Any assistance will be appreciated most of my detecting will be old homes and such
And maybe some beach hunting around lakes when the water goes down

I used one briefly and i liked it. There are some machines that separate a little better, but it with the small coil do pretty well. If i remember right in disc mode there is no GB and i think this limits the depth capabilities of the machine to something like 7 or 8 inches depending on soil conditions. But you should be able to find lots of goodies with it for sure.

thanks

I used one briefly and i liked it. There are some machines that separate a little better, but it with the small coil do pretty well. If i remember right in disc mode there is no GB and i think this limits the depth capabilities of the machine to something like 7 or 8 inches depending on soil conditions. But you should be able to find lots of goodies with it for sure.

I was just trying to figure out how to GB with it but I read to turn sensitivity down and volune up or vice versa anyway seems like not many people have heard of them since none else is answering

But I have a couple of different how tos so ill read them real good and then try and get something done with it might have to sell it and loss my but as always anyway thanks for all your assistance friend I didn't even know they had forums for detecting "stupid me "

Last edited:
I was just trying to figure out how to GB with it but I read to turn sensitivity down and volune up or vice versa anyway seems like not many people have heard of them since none else is answering

But I have a couple of different how tos so ill read them real good and then try and get something done with it might have to sell it and loss my but as always anyway thanks for all your assistance friend I didn't even know they had forums for detecting "stupid me "

My bounty hunter had no gb but so far it’s been my best finds. Haven’t been able to take the nox out much due to weather. Unless you can afford a better detector (even if) I’d recommend keeping it and learning it. It’s good to have a backup. I’ll only get rid of my bounty hunter if I absolutely have to , and it was 250$ new

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

It is a good detector , i would detect for awhile and see how you like it, before you take a loss. I found it was pretty capable.

Plenty of people have heard of them, they first came out in 2001 and lots have used them but overall I think the Tejon, Vaquero and others were more popular than the Cortes or Deleon, the only two models with screens.
Ask a crowd of Tesoroheads what they own or have owned and these two probably will be near the bottom of popularity.

Still, they are Tesoros and have their fans and if you swing, listen and learn it you will have a good knowledge base to utilize it you want to switch from this to another Tesoro or even another brand.
I have used Tesoros for hundreds of hours, learned the language and and then got into screen units like an F2, F70 and now a Nox, despite the screens it is the tones that matter more to me when I stand behind them...any of them.
I have always said learning to hunt by sound only will be an advantage to you no matter what brands or kinds of favorite detector you end up standing behind
In the future.

You got a screen on yours, honestly I don't know if I would ever look at the thing if I owned one.
Hunting with Tesoros is a Zen thing for me, me, the detector, my thumb and the disc knob...and those tones.
I walk, I swing, I listen, I thumb the disc over targets to figure them out and I dig certain targets that meet and stay within my strict rules for digging.
I used to dig a lot more trash, over the last few years I got tired of that but I found as I got better at understanding and using my detectors my ability to ID trash and avoid it got way better.
I now dig a whole lot less trash than before but I still find more than my share of treasure.
At first all Tesoro beeps to me all sounded the same, as time went on they changed and became much more expressive and information filled.
actually they didn't change, I did...I got better at all of this.

That GB...it only works on the all metal side, in disc it is preset and you can't affect or change it.
Here is the manual, reading it I think it is a pretty neat tool.
http://www.tesoro.com/info/manuals/current/cortes/

Maybe it wouldn't be my first choice if I was a shiney, brand new newbie but if this is all I had to work with there are way worse and less capable units out there for sure.

Plus Tesoros are just so awesome and fun to use.
That is important.

very important!..if ya can't have fun with a tesoro,you should probably take up golf instead!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

My bounty hunter had no gb but so far it’s been my best finds. Haven’t been able to take the nox out much due to weather. Unless you can afford a better detector (even if) I’d recommend keeping it and learning it. It’s good to have a backup. I’ll only get rid of my bounty hunter if I absolutely have to , and it was 250$ new

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

I am kinda new to the metal deting deal but I have lived here in tx for long time and Oklahoma but the ground is so try you need a backhoe to dig things here due to the heat but I did dig up a silver dollar in an old drive way for model t'S and it was about 15 inches deep and on edge and in clay I popped out the fist sized ball of clay and you could see the edge with the ridges on it and if you needed to shave they was deep enough to do it there was an old man setting on his porch watching so I slid it in my pouch and detected slowly to the car and got in and my buddy that was with me saw me go to the car and walked slowly to the car got in and set down and shut the door and said "show me "I said show you what he said what you found I pulled out the clay ball he saw the edge and told me I have been hunting for 30 years and have never found a silver dollar he said can I see the year of it and it was like new and it was a 1889 date on it since then I got robbed by the neighbor and it was gone also but I have one under my belt found it with the "garret ground hog" I believe was the name of it .....
has anyone of you guys ever used a nautilus metal detector I had one that had broom holder clamp on the outside of the detector and it held 2 nine volt batteries but it went deep I dug up a seated dime that was 15 inches deep talk about a mickey mouse looking detector that was defiantly one

i think i did well i got the flag ship detector and extras

Plenty of people have heard of them, they first came out in 2001 and lots have used them but overall I think the Tejon, Vaquero and others were more popular than the Cortes or Deleon, the only two models with screens.
Ask a crowd of Tesoroheads what they own or have owned and these two probably will be near the bottom of popularity.

Still, they are Tesoros and have their fans and if you swing, listen and learn it you will have a good knowledge base to utilize it you want to switch from this to another Tesoro or even another brand.
I have used Tesoros for hundreds of hours, learned the language and and then got into screen units like an F2, F70 and now a Nox, despite the screens it is the tones that matter more to me when I stand behind them...any of them.
I have always said learning to hunt by sound only will be an advantage to you no matter what brands or kinds of favorite detector you end up standing behind
In the future.

You got a screen on yours, honestly I don't know if I would ever look at the thing if I owned one.
Hunting with Tesoros is a Zen thing for me, me, the detector, my thumb and the disc knob...and those tones.
I walk, I swing, I listen, I thumb the disc over targets to figure them out and I dig certain targets that meet and stay within my strict rules for digging.
I used to dig a lot more trash, over the last few years I got tired of that but I found as I got better at understanding and using my detectors my ability to ID trash and avoid it got way better.
I now dig a whole lot less trash than before but I still find more than my share of treasure.
At first all Tesoro beeps to me all sounded the same, as time went on they changed and became much more expressive and information filled.
actually they didn't change, I did...I got better at all of this.

That GB...it only works on the all metal side, in disc it is preset and you can't affect or change it.
Here is the manual, reading it I think it is a pretty neat tool.
http://www.tesoro.com/info/manuals/current/cortes/

Maybe it wouldn't be my first choice if I was a shiney, brand new newbie but if this is all I had to work with there are way worse and less capable units out there for sure.

Well I got it off of flea bay and gave 450 and got 4 different coils all the way to the 4 inch and got the d coil and also the round coil and covers for them and a clad dollar coin and the pouch a digger and a sifter for the sand thought for two days then bought this is going to be a learning curve I believe but I will figure it out with the help of you guys I need to write down the percentage amount for the coins and rings and gold and such think coins was high at about 91 to 95 and nickels was about 17 rings was so much

But since I have found this forum I will learn a lot of info we don't have anywhere to hunt water right now the lakes here are running over the dams and I get so tired of digging tabs and lead weights ....hehah

take up golf

very important!..if ya can't have fun with a tesoro,you should probably take up golf instead!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I tried the golf 2 times that isn't me for sure best friend was a golf pro I beat him on the second hole he had his own course so he said anyway I got good at drinking beer so I just started doing that instead I am not newbie at detecting I haven't did it for about 10 years now but I have 5 different detectors my brother and I used to hunt all the time I was a Garrett hunter and he was a whites hunter we was always trying to out do each other but he passed away and now I have to restart without him and not much fun finding stuff without someone to show it to I did watch about 10 years ago a boat pulled up to the beach at the lake and dropped something and tried to lean over and get it and his nice gold chain and 20 dollar gold coin and easel went in the water we bought a oxygen motor and all and he went down and tried it and never found it but said it was dang sure cold he almost died while down there because of the exhaust fumes but he came up in time to take the mask off but I bet it is still down there don't know for sure

i think you should stick to detecting! you will be better served! ..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom