Finally happened, police showed up.

I don't mean to steer from the subject but, assuming that the cops take all of your personal information before the warning, aren't you folks who go to the place at different times when there's low traffic nervous, do you feel relaxed and not worry that the cops could come again, and you would lose your gear and get a citation and possibly a ride to the station?

I've been through an experience where all of my personal info was taken down with a scolding to not do it again or else.

I don't believe that I'd ever have any relaxed fun in the same city public place again, even at odd low, parker times. It only takes one nosy person, who maybe lives by the place, or just happens to network with neighbors, to get a call at almost any time of day.

Once you get the info made legal record and the speech given to you...aren't you tense if you go back?

to be perfectly straight with you,IF you worried about this all the time, then you should take up "knitting" or (don't say it!..golf!),because you will have no business metal detecting in public places.all your concerns are valid,HOWEVER,if you get told to leave by authority, then just leave, and go somewhere else.you don't require a ''degree" in common sense to figure this out! always have a "contingency" plan before you go out the door. go to area number 2,and forget about it .after,say a couple of weeks have passed, go back to area 1 and hunt again.chances are, you will catch a "break" and they'll leave ya alone!..been doin' this for over 35 years, and (yes) it works! ..next question!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

to be perfectly straight with you,IF you worried about this all the time, then you should take up "knitting" or (don't say it!..golf!),because you will have no business metal detecting in public places.all your concerns are valid,HOWEVER,if you get told to leave by authority, then just leave, and go somewhere else.you don't require a ''degree" in common sense to figure this out! always have a "contingency" plan before you go out the door. go to area number 2,and forget about it .after,say a couple of weeks have passed, go back to area 1 and hunt again.chances are, you will catch a "break" and they'll leave ya alone!..been doin' this for over 35 years, and (yes) it works! ..next question!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

"to be perfectly straight with you,IF you worried about this all the time, then you should take up "knitting"

And I probably would, if I felt that way in all of my other public property, all of the time.

We've discussed this before but I've found it to be the most effective way of not getting approached by the average park-goer, and makes it look like you are "working" not "playing". I never identify myself as a city worker but if that's what people think when they see me, I can't control their thoughts :laughing:

1108219.jpg

If I am approached, I always give a sob story about a neighbor who lost her wedding ring while watching her grandson play soccer (or baseball, or just playing in the open field, depending on where I am), she has been married for 50 years! Can you believe it! The nosy nellie now sees me as a great guy who is trying to help granny by finding her symbol of love and devotion. As far as why I'm wearing a yellow vest? SAFETY FIRST!

Last edited:

(h.h.!)
j.t.

He wasn't talking about any public place. He was talking about returning to public places where there might not be any laws/rules specifically against metal detecting, but the cops have shown up AND taken his information.

It's a valid concern. I think Tom gave a good response. You don't go back the next day. Also, did the cop just write your name down on a paper pad, or did you get issued a non-criminal citation? Some police departments do actually keep track of "contacts". You'd also be surprised by how well cops remember a brief interaction from a year ago. (Maybe not every traffic stop, but they'll remember the weirdo metal detecting that got an attitude about being a taxpayer and having a right to dig up coins anywhere he or she wants.) Was it some debatable offense indirectly related to detecting, or did you not know about a law specific to detecting? Are you being warned about breaking a park rule or a law? In some places, you might be breaking a park rule but not a law. There might not even be any fines, but it could still get you booted from the park and possibly even a trespassing charge if keep pushing it.

Ehh. Hate when that happens. Too many "detectorists" create a bad name for the rest of us by destroying property rather than covering up their holes.

A friend of mine recently called the city about a guy detecting at the local soccer pitch. He said that he wasn't concerned when he was digging off pitch but has a real issue with digging on the pitch. His reasoning is that even if we replace the sod and make it look like it never happened, the integrity of the area has been compromised and a person running over it or putting their foot there maybe to turn while playing is going to have a problem. This friend of mine when much younger had a promising career as a soccer player ended when he wrecked his knee because of a hole in the pitch. It wasn't dug by a detectorist (as far as he knows) but I think he makes a valid point that I hadn't considered. Around the pitch is no issue and he conceded that using a picker tool would probably be fine and surface finds of course. Something to consider.

Have you ever seen what a cleat does to the Pitch of a soccer field? For darn sure they tear up the pitch more than a flap cut would. Plus, if you heel it back, properly, there's no "hole" or anything else to catch on.

I've had soccer players come approach me about this, and I show them the damage they do to the field. They don't have grounds to argue at that point. Those cleats on a turn will create a divot and lift the sod to the point it'll catch feet. Ain't my fault if they twist their ankle, that's for dang sure.

Skippy

gotta differ with ya here skip man! sounds like !!!!!!!!! you are assuming that the average authority figure "believes" that a "neat flap" is NOT the same as cutting the soil!.perhaps this 'approach" if you will, has worked for you in the past, but it assumes the people you explained this too are "stupid" and dumb as rocks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Maybe you missed the picture I put into the thread. I pointed out it was an ordinance. And frankly, the average "authority" isn't stupid. Quite the contrary. If you can start the conversation nicely, logically explain the difference, and do it in a FRIENDLY way, they're not likely to give you trouble.
If you buck up with an attitude and treat people like they're stupid, or start it with, "it's not a hole, it's a flap," then yeah, you deserve to be thrown out.

I start every conversation with a smile, and assume they're smart enough to understand the difference between a hole in the ground and a neat flap. I listen to their concern FIRST... Then explain it, like it's just a little misunderstanding, and minimize the aggression. Then I explain it smartly, and kindly show them, if necessary. Never had a problem. If you do, then maybe your approach is wrong, or maybe people in your area are just meaner than the authorities I've met everywhere I go! I genuinely believe the majority of poor interactions could have better outcomes with a friendlier and smarter conversation.

Talked with a Sheriff's Deputy last night, who challenged me on the digging in the elementary school. I even showed her the gold ring.. explained to her that I knew the laws around what to do with it, and she was not only satisfied with the answers, she became genuinely intrigued by the hobby. Half the time, people just don't know the ordinances (or lack of prohibitions) around the hobby... the law enforcement often are thrilled when you can calmly explain you know the law. I've diffused MANY a potential bad interaction with law enforcement with a SMART conversation. Never talking down to any of them. A HAPPY conversation and willingness to be open diffuse a lot of potentially bad outcomes.

Cheers,

Skippy

"to be perfectly straight with you,IF you worried about this all the time, then you should take up "knitting"

And I probably would, if I felt that way in all of my other public property, all of the time.

i understand and hear your concern! not trying to be a "smart ass" just making point! i need to constantly "tell myself" all the time when hunting public places, and as mentioned, been doin' this for a long time! IF i thought about all the
!!!!" that you can be confronted with, i would not be hunting any more either,
so i just go and make the "most" of it, and 'try" not to worry!.. i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

He wasn't talking about any public place. He was talking about returning to public places where there might not be any laws/rules specifically against metal detecting, but the cops have shown up AND taken his information.

It's a valid concern. I think Tom gave a good response. You don't go back the next day. Also, did the cop just write your name down on a paper pad, or did you get issued a non-criminal citation? Some police departments do actually keep track of "contacts". You'd also be surprised by how well cops remember a brief interaction from a year ago. (Maybe not every traffic stop, but they'll remember the weirdo metal detecting that got an attitude about being a taxpayer and having a right to dig up coins anywhere he or she wants.) Was it some debatable offense indirectly related to detecting, or did you not know about a law specific to detecting? Are you being warned about breaking a park rule or a law? In some places, you might be breaking a park rule but not a law. There might not even be any fines, but it could still get you booted from the park and possibly even a trespassing charge if keep pushing it.

as mentioned,if one is 'confronted"! who cares!..you are leaving and written the place off!..show up again in a couple of months and try again! more than likely if ya get approached,it will be by a different cop, and maybe ya get lucky and he leaves ya be! point is, don't take it too seriously just show up again and hunt it!
never have any issues hunting this way! no lip!..no !!!!!..let some time pass,and hunt ya brains out! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I'm letting the area I was confronted in settle down for now. I've been detecting in a bigger city with no problems from people in the parks or law enforcement. Also have a few really small towns within a 1/2 hour drive that I have not detected in. I've been finding so much clad that I don't think there are many detector people in my area.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Maybe you missed the picture I put into the thread. I pointed out it was an ordinance. And frankly, the average "authority" isn't stupid. Quite the contrary. If you can start the conversation nicely, logically explain the difference, and do it in a FRIENDLY way, they're not likely to give you trouble.
If you buck up with an attitude and treat people like they're stupid, or start it with, "it's not a hole, it's a flap," then yeah, you deserve to be thrown out.

I start every conversation with a smile, and assume they're smart enough to understand the difference between a hole in the ground and a neat flap. I listen to their concern FIRST... Then explain it, like it's just a little misunderstanding, and minimize the aggression. Then I explain it smartly, and kindly show them, if necessary. Never had a problem. If you do, then maybe your approach is wrong, or maybe people in your area are just meaner than the authorities I've met everywhere I go! I genuinely believe the majority of poor interactions could have better outcomes with a friendlier and smarter conversation.

Talked with a Sheriff's Deputy last night, who challenged me on the digging in the elementary school. I even showed her the gold ring.. explained to her that I knew the laws around what to do with it, and she was not only satisfied with the answers, she became genuinely intrigued by the hobby. Half the time, people just don't know the ordinances (or lack of prohibitions) around the hobby... the law enforcement often are thrilled when you can calmly explain you know the law. I've diffused MANY a potential bad interaction with law enforcement with a SMART conversation. Never talking down to any of them. A HAPPY conversation and willingness to be open diffuse a lot of potentially bad outcomes.

Cheers,

Skippy

obviously! no kidding! always explain your position in a diplomatic way! never said you were NOT doing this.regardless of all the "fluff" you mentioned, it DOESN'T follow that a "flap" is different from a hole dug! "flap,or plug" you are "still" digging!..i don't believe i am missing this! that's all i am gonna say on it!
IF you can get people to buy off on that, then thats swell, whether you do it diplomatically, or not! if ya can't get that done, then ya gotta leave simple!..find someplace else to go! and try the "!!!!!!!!" again! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Ehh. Hate when that happens. Too many "detectorists" create a bad name for the rest of us by destroying property rather than covering up their holes.

yes! this is at the "heart" of the issue! remember!..it's a hobby, and "some" people are NOT going to do the right thing.why?,because they could care two sh**ts less what you think! unfortunately, as hobbyists, there is a certain ''element" that will not conform, and they endanger the hobby as a result of their
inconsiderate actions. when people are apathetic, and stupid, and refuse to properly 'cover" their holes, it reflects on all of us.you can mentor, but if they are "obtuse" then you must accept the inevitable...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Finally had my first experience with the police. While my wife and I were hunting a school play ground the officer showed up asked if we were ok told him we were fine asked if we were having any luck told him yes doing well told us good luck and have a nice day and left so there are good ones out there

there certainly are! as most cops do NOT see us as "problems "IF you are doing the 'right" thing by digging properly, and covering your holes, and "not" using a shovel ,then you "generally' will not be bothered.again,"generally" it's been MY experience that if a cop approaches you, it's because they have had a 'complaint" and "need' to investigate. IF you talk honestly with the man,and
DON'T try to !!!!!!!! him,or get tough with him, he will leave ya alone and go about his business.they HAVE to investigate when a complaint comes in, because they are "public servants",and have to do their job...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom