My Initial Thoughts on the Equinox 800. BEWARE

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Especially if you are an underground sleeping aluminum twist top. I don't care if you are sleeping peacefully, the Equinox 800 is going to find you.

I know where they ring up on the E-Trac. They are 12-38 - 12-41 and the cursor is against the left side of the open area. On the Equinox they ring up 20 - 24.

I didn't get my coil over a single coin, EXCEPT once. Kevin got a 12-41 on his E-trac and called me over. I got a jumpy signal at 10, 12 and as high as 17. I told him trash. He dug it and it was a 1963 Canadian penny. I was disappointed in that, but I can't judge with just one coin.

Anyway, I knew that park has been hammered for years but we still coax coins out of it.

My observation. I was in park 1 mode. I couldn't believe how chatty it was. Chatty is an understatement. The machine is falsing constantly. I played with the settings a little but not a lot. I had read some comments on it and I did NOT have my cell phone with me nor did I take the headphones.

20 - 24 are aluminum bottle tops, 17 - 18 are pull tabs and 4 - 6 are rusted bottle tops.

This is my observation in this park. The oldest coin I ever pulled out of it was a 1825 large cent.

I do like how light the machine is. I am hoping I can quiet it down after I read more on it.

I am really hoping that wheat cents also do not fall into the 20 - 24 range.

I was out there for 4 hours and had enough. 33° out and cold.

Curious, did you air test some samples?

I'm trying to learn what I can for when I step up to a better machine.

Actually no. I decided I was going to take it out blindly and see what happens. This way I am not bias or expectant of anything and I don't mind learning in the field. A tad cold but it was ok. I don't believe in air tests or test gardens. I like my finds wild.

Thanks for your honesty !!! I am sure you will do better with the Nox as you learn it. I didn't jump on the pre-order and will not purchase one until I have seen more proof that it's not just a one trick pony. I think that so far we have learned that it is really fast and good in iron but I am extremely concerned about it's ability to correctly ID targets especially at depth. All the videos that I have seen show a really jumpy TID. The jury is still out in my opinion.

good deal thats a very optimistic attitude. Keep it up. some advice about detecting some quarters give off junk signals. when you get tot a new site grid off an area that you pick. and dig everything to get an idea what targets sound like then carry on from there...i tell you what I get signals one way swinging but move over the same target swing it another way I havent a signal at all.

I had similar results when I turned on the machine and tried it out in my yard for the first time. After some testing I found that Park 2 in 5 tone with iron bias bumped up to 3 works pretty well for picking out coins.

As for the TID, it’s not going to be as stable or accurate as FBS machines. I consider it to be somewhere in between single frequency detectors and FBS. One very big strength is that iron and other trash don’t seem to drag down the tone and ID nearly as much as some other detectors, which makes it really easy to pick out good targets mixed with iron. The ID may fluctuate a little but it’ll hit in the proper zone for the most part. There are some exceptions.

Try not to think of the Nox as being anything like a CTX or Etrac. It’s a completely different animal and may take some time to get used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your honesty !!! I am sure you will do better with the Nox as you learn it. I didn't jump on the pre-order and will not purchase one until I have seen more proof that it's not just a one trick pony. I think that so far we have learned that it is really fast and good in iron but I am extremely concerned about it's ability to correctly ID targets especially at depth. All the videos that I have seen show a really jumpy TID. The jury is still out in my opinion.

I do see some problems. Maybe it will find small gold chains. However, it is going to find a lot of trash in order to find those chains. I hope I can quiet it down. That is my main concern. When folks say it is chatty it really is. I like my peace when detecting and that is a huge concern. Now I will read the manual and find out how to have a steady threshold and peace if at all possible.

The Canadian penny not only gave jumpy numbers, the tones stunk. However as I said THAT was the only coin I got my coil over. I can't judge just one coin.

I had similar results when I turned on the machine and tried it out in my yard for the first time. After some testing I found that Park 2 in 5 tone with iron bias bumped up to 3 works pretty well for picking out coins.

As for the TID, it’s not going to be as stable or accurate as FBS machines. I consider it to be somewhere in between single frequency detectors and FBS. One very big strength is that iron and other trash don’t seem to drag down the tone and ID nearly as much as some other detectors, which makes it really easy to pick out good targets mixed with iron. The ID may fluctuate a little but it’ll hit in the proper zone for the most part. There are some exceptions.

Try not to think of the Nox as being anything like a CTX or Etrac. It’s a completely different animal and may take some time to get used to.

I agree totally. This was my first hunt and my first impression after 4 hours. I wanted folks to know EXACTLY what I felt and my honest observations period.

I think most want it to work/excel. I am glad that there’s some good testing going on which will help those of us on the fence.

Especially if you are an underground sleeping aluminum twist top. I don't care if you are sleeping peacefully, the Equinox 800 is going to find you.

I know where they ring up on the E-Trac. They are 12-38 - 12-41 and the cursor is against the left side of the open area. On the Equinox they ring up 20 - 24.

I didn't get my coil over a single coin, EXCEPT once. Kevin got a 12-41 on his E-trac and called me over. I got a jumpy signal at 10, 12 and as high as 17. I told him trash. He dug it and it was a 1963 Canadian penny. I was disappointed in that, but I can't judge with just one coin.

Anyway, I knew that park has been hammered for years but we still coax coins out of it.

My observation. I was in park 1 mode. I couldn't believe how chatty it was. Chatty is an understatement. The machine is falsing constantly. I played with the settings a little but not a lot. I had read some comments on it and I did NOT have my cell phone with me nor did I take the headphones.

20 - 24 are aluminum bottle tops, 17 - 18 are pull tabs and 4 - 6 are rusted bottle tops.

This is my observation in this park. The oldest coin I ever pulled out of it was a 1825 large cent.

I do like how light the machine is. I am hoping I can quiet it down after I read more on it.

I am really hoping that wheat cents also do not fall into the 20 - 24 range.

I was out there for 4 hours and had enough. 33° out and cold.
I had similar experience my first time out with the Nox. You can read my first 2 threads on it and see that. I was not blown away at first. I have since started to get better with this machine and have cut down the trash I dig significantly. In fact my last trip to same trashy park I dug 1 bottle cap and no screw caps and dug 7 wheats and 3 silver dimes and lots of clad. You can separate trash from coins with the Nox I know that it just takes time to learn the machine. That being said I don't think it will ever quite give you as much info as the FBS units. It will separate coins from iron better than any detector I have used though. Iron very near coins on my etrac made the numbers undiggable and usually masked any good sound.

Also all my wheats have been around 25 or slightly higher. Dimes around 26-27 and quarters 30.

Edit:
Settings: sensitivity 23-25 speed 7 tones 5 park 2 mode. Auto ground balance/tracking. Noise cancel everytime I move to new area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I see a NuGrape in your bottle cap collection there,...man I used to burn those up at the country stores around me as a kid,....and some Nehi Peach :drink:

Probably

Didn't noise cancel, or ground balance :roll: , more time under your belt you will know when a coin is under your coil , great machine with more experience .

I had similar experience my first time out with the Nox. You can read my first 2 threads on it and see that. I was not blown away at first. I have since started to get better with this machine and have cut down the trash I dig significantly. In fact my last trip to same trashy park I dug 1 bottle cap and no screw caps and dug 7 wheats and 3 silver dimes and lots of clad. You can separate trash from coins with the Nox I know that it just takes time to learn the machine. That being said I don't think it will ever quite give you as much info as the FBS units. It will separate coins from iron better than any detector I have used though. Iron very near coins on my etrac made the numbers undiggable and usually masked any good sound.

Also all my wheats have been around 25 or slightly higher. Dimes around 26-27 and quarters 30.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wish I would have got my coil over a target that was over 24. Not the case in this park today. I am hoping that indian cents and wheats are above twist tops.

Iron around my CZ-21 was easy to figure out underwater. I haven't found any coin near iron yet on the Equinox. I know it will take time to learn. I am just posting my first 4 hours with my results honestly. The Canadian penny was a huge disappointment though. I expected that Kevin would have dug trash.

When you say chatty.
What are you saying exactly?

With coil sweeping just above ground?

Or with coil held in the air away from ground?

How deep was the Canadian penny dug?
And did you sweep from all directions?

Did you adujst sensitivity or noise cancel at all?

Sensitivity no. I did do a noise cancel and that didn't seem to help. It gave me a 6 after I did it.

AGAIN folks. I read enough of the quick start guide to get me in trouble and started detecting. This is only my very first observation and not a slam of the machine. I hope that is understood.

When you say chatty.
What are you saying exactly?

With coil sweeping just above ground?

Or with coil held in the air away from ground?

It was with the coil sweeping just above the ground. HOWEVER this park is all trees and bushes. It is an overgrown unused part of a state park. You hit twigs, branches, and small trees on every swing. It is not grass at all. And by chatty I mean constantly falsing. Enough to frustrate me but I kept going. In order to find things in this park you have to get right against trees, twigs and bushes. All the open areas are void of anything good.

Back
Top Bottom