Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > War Relic Hunting

Old 09-19-2017, 09:46 PM

Default Need some help Identifying, revolutionary war?

This was a beach find in Massachusetts. All these items were found in a 60' area. I found loads of musket balls lead buttons, a few brass buckles and several king gorge 1/2 pennies being in rough shape from the salt water but one has a visible date of 1749. My feeling is someone dropped some kind of bag our pouch possibly revolutionary war? does anyone recognize the buttons? Are they typical of any period? Please weigh in on it.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2017, 10:25 PM

I honestly don't know, but what a great find!! I hope you get some good info about these items.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:50 AM
Elite Member

I think you may be right. Your "lead buttons" are probably pewter. All your finds definitely look period. Usually the pewter buttons will have a design, insignia or letters on their face. Hard to tell from the pics but some of your balls look like .750 brown bess balls. You have some research to do I'm afraid. Button back marks and the type of shank attachment will help date them. Probably have to clean them up a little. Your buckles look period and with the age of your coins could very well be rev. When I get home I'll see if I can post a couple reference guides for such items.
It's very unusual to find all those items in one area. Many of us that have collected rev artifacts don't have that many buttons after literally years of searching. Especially pewter buttons.
Fantastic bunch of relics. As I said, the only way to know is serious research. Not only on the items themselves but what could have occurred there at the time. A camp, a landing, a skirmish etc.
Anyone that collects the elusive rev artifacts would kill for a stash like that. Shame about the condition of the coins but that's pretty typical. As I said, I'll see if I can post some reference info when I can. Unbelievable!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the input, I honestly didn't know where to start with the dating until I was able to make out a date on the coin. I had no idea if the buttons were even a related time period. But I will still do more research on the buttons, thanks for the I'ding of the musket balls, I have also found a number of smaller and larger balls in near the area as well and will need help I'ding those as well.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 AM
Elite Member

https://www.daacs.org/about-the-data...loging-manual/

This site will help you date both your buttons and your buckles.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Elite Member

Here's another good site.

https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/onli...y/14/chap4.htm

Lots of nic nacs and do dads.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Supporter

WOW!!! You have some amazing sites!

Old 09-20-2017, 03:39 PM

Thanks that site helped me ID the smaller size balls as buck shot. I also see more of my buckles shown there too. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Elite Member

All of what you have would fall in the term"Colonial" which is just a span of Dates in time. All these items were around durning the revolutionary and 1812 wars. Unless you can get detail off the buttons, gonna be to hard to pinpoint it to military or civilian relics. Either way you have some great colonial relics and if you need a hunting partner let me know lol

2017 Favorite Finds: KG II, 1865 2 Cent Piece, 1876 Seated Quarter, 1880 Shield Nickel

Old 10-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Elite Member

Wow great finds buddy. HH

Old 10-07-2017, 09:07 PM

Thanks guys, I just found out the buckles are colonial era shoe buckles. Thanks for your help and intrest!