The lesche and the law

sandgroper

Elite Member
For a while now I've wanted to upgrade my digging tool to a lesche. However, as the lesche can be considered a knife, I started to wonder if our Australian laws say anything about carrying these type of knives in public (the laws only say that you have to have a legitimate reason for carrying a legal knife with you). I mean, they're sold in non-knife shops so obviously they're not illegal, and many of you overseas use them in public on a regular basis. And obviously I'm not going to walk into a school or a busy playground with one of them on me (duh)! :lol:

I'm just curious, has any of you had any troubles with the police about lesches? (And yes, if I get one, I will definitely sharpen it!)

I'm not sure about the laws in Australia but the lesche is designed and intended to be a digging tool, basicly a small handheld shovel/ gardening tool. Could you take it an plunge it into some idiot thats bothering you? I'm sure you could, you could also beat them with a shovel, bat, run them over with a car or stuff a rock down their throat to cause them to choke to death. If all the latter are not considered illegal weapons then it would be a stretch to concider the lesche as one. Just my opinion which probably doesn't amount to much in a different country anyway.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 409
I'm not sure about the laws in Australia but the lesche is designed and intended to be a digging tool, basicly a small handheld shovel/ gardening tool. Could you take it an plunge it into some idiot thats bothering you? I'm sure you could, you could also beat them with a shovel, bat, run them over with a car or stuff a rock down their throat to cause them to choke to death. If all the latter are not considered illegal weapons then it would be a stretch to concider the lesche as one. Just my opinion which probably doesn't amount to much in a different country anyway.

Good point! :)

Crocodile Dundee is a bloody good movie IMO!

I believe it is called a Trowel and it does have printed on it that it is a digging tool. The bend between the handle and the blade should bear this out.

Absent of being in violation of some local regulation, I find that law enforcement views us detectorists as completely harmless. When they cruise by me at local parks, I wave at them and they wave back and continue on. Not once in almost a quarter century have I been question about a digger. If they are on foot, they give me the usual "any luck?"

i was unloading my gear at a local park when a police officer drove by. Seeing my Hori-Hori knife he stopped and backed up. He said "I thought that was a pretty big knife but I see what you are doing." He waved and went on his way.

I try not to wave it that's for sure, but it's not like the super dangerous cell phone and other electronic gizmo's used in cars that distracted owners kill ...though have killed a few grub worms.

....I started to wonder if our Australian laws say anything about carrying these type of knives in public ....

You will have no way to know unless you show up at city Hall or the police station and ask "can I carry this dangerous knife around and destroy public property with it? " After all: You want to be law-abiding. You don't want to "get a ticket ", etc.....

Just kidding ;) I like T-man's answer.

Do you get hassled about carrying screwdrivers and masonry trowels? What about hammers? Cricket bat? Golf club? The items that one can use as a weapon are practically endless. Don't you lay awake at night worrying about all those school children with sharp pencils in school? My, the carnage that could occur, and the schools are enabling it with the pencil sharpeners that they have mounted on the walls! :shock:

;)

Do you get hassled about carrying screwdrivers and masonry trowels? What about hammers? Cricket bat? Golf club? The items that one can use as a weapon are practically endless....

Good analogy. I know forums for md'rs is just "small talk" . To throw "what if's" out there for discussion. So I know that x-terra was probably half-way tongue-in-cheek.

But on the other hand, it does seems that some md'rs have some strange connect-the-dots law/legal things they worry about. When the same caliber of worry doesn't seem to affect any other users of public land. Like ... as if our hobby is somehow dangerous, hated, illegal, etc... till we are given a blessing to the contrary ? :laughing:

Not to add much but the lesche does look more like a big knife then a digger.....continue:p

Do you get hassled about carrying screwdrivers and masonry trowels? What about hammers? Cricket bat? Golf club? The items that one can use as a weapon are practically endless. Don't you lay awake at night worrying about all those school children with sharp pencils in school? My, the carnage that could occur, and the schools are enabling it with the pencil sharpeners that they have mounted on the walls! :shock:

;)

I see what you’re trying to say, and I do agree that almost anything can be used as a weapon, but I think you’re more likely to be stopped by a police officer if you’re carrying a lesche, which could look like a large knife from a distance, than if you’re carrying a bat, golf club or even a weeder! :grin:

... I think you’re more likely to be stopped by a police officer if you’re carrying a lesche, which could look like a large knife from a distance,

For many years I used a military bayonet for digging. Never once did anyone ever say anything to me.

It's not as if you're going to be "waving it around in a menacing fashion". And ... heck, even if some cop DID see someone "in a park with a knife", it will be as silversmith45 said: It will be immediately evident that you're not a crook or a killer, etc....

Don't over-think it. Just go detecting :cool:

;)

Mr. Cracker you could even hit one of them with your purse.:p

Back
Top Bottom