Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > War Relic Hunting

Old 10-19-2017, 09:13 AM

Default How old is this knife? Has anyone come across a similar one?.........1700's? folding camp or fishing knife.

Has anyone seen anything like this before or have any idea when or where it could have been made? The knife has an all brass handle with a steel blade and backing. The knife measures just under 7" when extended and 4" when closed. The blade is fairly warn down so its had a long life of use. They only knifes i could find that looked similar were folding blades from 1700's style of manufacturing using the single pin for pivoting the blade.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2017, 09:23 AM
Elite Member

Cool looking knife, couldn't guess the age but I imagine it couldn't of been in the ground too long. Every knife I've found with any age to it has been completely rusted out if made of steel.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:55 AM

Awesome knife.

9/14/17 start. BH Challenger, GP pin pointer, Lesche Sampson T handle, Leche style digger, and newly discovered flat tip screw driver, oldest 1942 Mercury dime, (1)1951 Wheatey, 1924 Wheatey but I ain't taking my winged Liberty off here yet Clad $81.97

Old 10-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Elite Member

Very nice and unusual.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:45 PM

It actually was not found detecting but passed down from my grandfather. The "Help me ID my finds" thread passed it off as a toy...I have come to understand the War relics thread has more knowledge in ID'ing finds, less spitballing.
The blade looks to have been used normally and for a long time so there is definitely age to this knife. I looked up knife manufacturing styles and it looks similar in construction to 18th century examples but I really need a knife guy who knows his stuff to know for sure.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Supporter

Was your grandfather a Pacific War veteran? In the top ring of the anchor, it looks like it could have had a military design. I can't tell from the pictures but it could have been a Japanese sailors knife. Sailors used to make all kind of things like this.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:20 PM

Hi, no he wasn't. I was told this came from my grate grandfather. It came along with another pen knife from Germany. So I don't know if it is German in origin but its anyones guess there are no markings.