curious coin!

englandexpects

Hello again everyone, I will one of these days, put camera and coin together; but for now can I have some advice?

I found a small coin dated 1830, with "To Hanover" on the obverse; it's queen Victoria, and dated 1830?

I researched it, and all I could find were references to her predecessor, william; her Uncle!

His excessive lifestyle, and the small matter of the si..something law, caused Victoria to lose the Hanoverian section of her estate......

Long story short, can you explain why it states 1830, when all other refs are 1837.....also, the legend reads quen?

I'm aware that some are called "Cumberland Jacks", but this one is a different date....it don't make sense matey's!!

England Expects!!!!!

englandexpects said:
Hello again everyone, I will one of these days, put camera and coin together; but for now can I have some advice?

I found a small coin dated 1830, with "To Hanover" on the obverse; it's queen Victoria, and dated 1830?

I researched it, and all I could find were references to her predecessor, william; her Uncle!

His excessive lifestyle, and the small matter of the si..something law, caused Victoria to lose the Hanoverian section of her estate......

Long story short, can you explain why it states 1830, when all other refs are 1837.....also, the legend reads quen?

I'm aware that some are called "Cumberland Jacks", but this one is a different date....it don't make sense matey's!!

England Expects!!!!!

Nope, unless we get to see it we are not going to tell you:) HaHa
Actually I don't have that info but I am sure someone does.

Hard to imagine Queen Victoria on a 1830 dated coin, who did not ascend to the throne until 1837.

Victoria came to the throne in a rather round-about way. Her uncle, George IV, a wife abusing cad and bounder, died without an heir in 1830. The throne then passed to his brother, who ruled as William IV for seven years. Although he had several children, none of them were born in holy wedlock. None of them could therefore inherit the crown.

In 1837, William died almost un-mourned and was succeeded by his late brother, the Duke of Kent?s daughter, Victoria. Victoria was something new. She embodied middle class virtue, which had been unknown to English rulers since the reign of her grandfather, George III. She was also the first woman to reign over England since Queen Anne?s death in 1714.

Wow, Brooklyn, you sure know your British history! I'm ever so impressed.

Trudy

This token? It is a gaming token, that is why the year is fictional. There does exist a "To Hanover" token issued 1837 whis is otherwise similar but the text is " Victoria Regina". The explanation I found on a German language numismatic site was that the design was so popular and they were issued as 'game money' for card games and such. It is considerably newer than 1830, if I understood correctly these were issued until 1920's, but as my German is kinda rusty I may be wrong.

Voriax

Back
Top Bottom