finally hit pay dirt.

stick

i went to an old playground one evening when there was a light rain. wrapped the controls in plastic wrap and started looking around. i just knew that this place had been worked over but it hadn't. the play ground equipment is so old that no one goes there. started finding lots of junk and it seems that there might have been an old house there that burned. found lots of melted pieces of things about 4-6 inches down. dug up a few coins and came home. after cleaning i dicovered i had an indian head penny. wow. went back the next evening, still raining, and found another. figuring third time would be the charm, went back the next evening and found another one! they were all in different places and each time i did not discover what i had until i got home and was able to clean them. one is an 1896 and the other two are 1903.

Attachments

• 1896.jpg
    1896.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,440
Congrats & Great finds!! At your next local club meet, borrow an XLT or DFX to make sure the area is cleaned out.

i was using my 250 and i'm not really sure how deep they were because it was dark and didn't discover what i had until i got home each time. i do remember digging some pennies up at 6 to 7 inches. thats one thing about using the vibraprobe. you don't need a light. you can keep on going even in the dark. had one bad experience in the dark though. i was digging and probing and all of a sudden i was being stung by what felt like hundreds of fire ants. seems i dug right into a nest of them. almost had to shuck my clothes off to get all of them off of me. :lol: i'll be taking a light with me from now on.

Excellent finds. Definitely worth many return trips. I too have many run in's whit those pesky fire ants and I'm always amazed at thier ability to wait for a signal until they have massed to start stinging. :lol:

sweet finds , keep working that place.. when i had my ace i would find a lot of Indians in my yard then i started finding the silver coins, barbers and mercs and even my first V nickel so work it from all directions and work it slow your sure to hit some great finds maybe even a few old toy cars from the 40's and 50's work around the big trees kids loved to play near them and any small slopes when they may have played . remember think like a kid and you can find some cool things hh

Excellent finds, yep, I'd keep diggin there until I'd covered every foot,twice.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom