• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Great Button Day!! C-S-A

gtoast99

Forum Supporter
Hey all!

Went to a new spot, a house in a stand of woods in the middle of a field. Turned out to be very overgrown, and VERY trashy. Car doors, TV's, I mean a literal dump. Didn't stay long. Not to be deterred, I went to a different field I have permission at - but the crops were still in. Grr.

Third time's the charm. I went back to the field behind an 1855 house that I told you is "always good for a flat button". And again, it didn't disappoint. Two new flat buttons, piece of a curry comb, spoon bowl, some other unknown brass stuff.

But the winner of the day is a first for me, and one of my best buttons yet. When it came out of the ground I thought I had another "BS" Bingham School button. Wiping off the dirt showed a block "S", and I thought sure that's what I had. But it wasn't BS, it was CSA!

:shock:

I couldn't believe my eyes!! I still can't. Such a great piece of history. The house was home to a CSA soldier, and the owner showed me his surrender document from Appomattox with his name on it (added pic below). He lost 3 cousins who lived nearby to the war - one at Fredericksburg, one at Gettysburg, one in Georgia. Those three letters on this button held such significance for them. Breathtaking history.

Anyways, I know you want to see pics, so here you go. Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy!

updated - cleaned pic if you scroll down some :)

Attachments

• new stuff.jpg
    new stuff.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 292
  • flatbuttons.JPG
    flatbuttons.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 301
  • csa.jpg
    csa.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 290
  • surrender document small.jpg
    surrender document small.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 283
You're the button king!

Real nice button. I love buttons. There's got to be another there, so you better keep looking.
John

Very coolly button I found my second button today its got a p in middle made by I believe superior. Quality about 3/4 round any ideas?

Thanks, ya'll!

zeemang, not only persistent about finding a spot to go yesterday, but also with the field this came out of. I've put a lot of hours into that place, and got some nice relics to show for it. But the site does make you wait for them from time to time LOL

John, I got the okay to bring a friend as long as I introduce them to the owner. I'll take you sometime. This is the big old field with not a lot of hits I was telling you about, perfect for that coil.

nscrcr8z, thanks! dunno bout your button, try the ID section. Though from the description it sounds like a police uniform button.

One more pic, cleaned up a little with soap and water. This is probably as much as I'll do to it, I'm pretty happy with how it looks and I wouldn't want to overdo it.

Attachments

• csa2.JPG
    csa2.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 242
That is just awesome ! I love the fact that it is from N.C. My family is from there and my G-G-Grandfather surrendered at Appomattox as well.

Congrats on your wonder find !

wow-you could dig silver for ever, but to actually find a piece of history, now that is amazing. congrats.

I keep going back and looking at it.....

That sure is a nice looking button. I would have to display that one in a nice place. You know, the rest of the uniform buttons might be there. Maybe even the buckle.
John

Back
Top Bottom