How Many Clad Hunters Are There Here?

John-Edmonton

Elite Member
Clad hunters don't usually get recognition, as their finds aren't old or special. Yet, a lot of people who detect just don't live in an area which has a nice three hundred year history. The nice thing about clad hunting, is depth isn't a high priority. Most clad coins are in the top 3 inches. Quality of discrimination is paramount, as is the ability to know your machine to the point where you can guess what is under the coil with good accuracy. Some folks find an astonishing amount of clad, > $1,000.00. Good, regular clad hunters also tend to find a higher then normal amount of rings.

Years ago, a dealer once told me that over 90% of detectors sold will at one time or another be used to look for clad. Also, the majority of people buying detectors don't even look for old coins or relics. They just putz around occasionally, digging everything. And, he also said that most of the metal detectors sold will be sitting in a closet collecting dust within a year. It appears people think we all get rich and live a life of plenty.

My greatest benefits are exercise and friends. Of course I do make some decent finds occasionally too. I have observed in my past 20+ years that the most successful metal detectorists are not the ones with the most expensive equipment, but the ones who hunt most often. They know their machine inside out, know where to hunt, and also know where not to hunt for good returns.

What do you think? What kind of a hunter are you..................

Attachments

• Moving-picture-jumping-dropping-bag-full-of-cash-gif-animation.gif
    Moving-picture-jumping-dropping-bag-full-of-cash-gif-animation.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 504
  • 200 (4).gif
    200 (4).gif
    99.5 KB · Views: 530
mostly clad finds , but always hope to hit some nice older stuff. As long as not finding all pull tabs and bottle caps i am happy to be out there.

And, he also said that most of the metal detectors sold will be sitting in a closet collecting dust within a year. It appears people think we all get rich and live a life of plenty.

This is what I see the most within our Hobby, too many Flash- in- the- pan detectorists.. This is work and nothing comes easy..

PS good post!

..........What kind of a hunter are you..................

I guess one title could be......

"I need the exercise so it might as well be fun exercise" :laughing:

Metal detecting is a lot more fun than walking on a treadmill or even just plain walking :laughing:

Would I like to find valuable finds and really old coins ?

Sure, who wouldn't ?

But the key to sticking with this hobby is the frame of mind you approach it with, in the public areas around here I have discovered there is not a lot to find but I still enjoy trying and I get the exercise I need, any really good finds would be a bonus to my having fun ! (like my 1st Merc I found last year !)

The public areas around here I am happy to find anything in addition to a few pennies, even if it is just an occasional nickel or a dime I feel like I did good for the public areas around here.

Now I still hope to find some really old coins but I realize I need to get some more private property permissions to have a better chance at that, in the meantime I still have fun just detecting and getting exercise.

I guess one title could be......

"I need the exercise so it might as well be fun exercise" :laughing:

Metal detecting is a lot more fun than walking on a treadmill or even just plain walking :laughing:

Would I like to find valuable finds and really old coins ?

Sure, who wouldn't ?

But the key to sticking with this hobby is the frame of mind you approach it with, in the public areas around here I have discovered there is not a lot to find but I still enjoy trying and I get the exercise I need, any really good finds would be a bonus to my having fun ! (like my 1st Merc I found last year !)

The public areas around here I am happy to find anything in addition to a few pennies, even if it is just an occasional nickel or a dime I feel like I did good for the public areas around here.

Now I still hope to find some really old coins but I realize I need to get some more private property permissions to have a better chance at that, in the meantime I still have fun just detecting and getting exercise.

At the end of the day, it is nice to climb into a bed and get into a nice deep sleep. Getting silver and gold is nice. So is finding a bunch of clad too! At the end of the year, you often have save a nice bunch of clad which can be recycled into meals, coffee, new equipment, gold coin.......whatever you like!

Attachments

• Counting-money-animation.gif
    Counting-money-animation.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 480
I'm relatively new to the party and just started detecting about a year ago after retirement. Have an AT Pro and a Deus. Each one the clad quarter has a distinctive VDI and I dig all of those I come across. You can buy old coins with that. So I do. Its rare that I go to a site or park to exclusively dig quarters though. I'm firstly hunting for the old silver if any is there. My clad total for a year is about $200.

Great post indeed - this is an underappreciated aspect of the hobby. I agree that it's a way to turn lemons into lemonade if you live in a younger metro area.

And like many have said on the forum - they use their clad to buy silvers at the end of the year! It still spends! :gettinmoney:

I think I'm a combo hunter, it's more about the hunt then the finds. Sometimes I like going out looking for old silver or relics, other days I just want to get some swing time in and hit the totter or parks for a quick clad stab and maybe some junk jewelry unless I get lucky and hit some silver or gold but it's rare that comes out. Really it's more about getting out for some piece and quiet then anything else. I don't sell anything so it's not like I'm profiting off it.

I like this thread,thanks for sharing John. What a lot of people don’t realize either is that 5 clad quarters is worth more than a merc dime,worth a heck of a lot more than a beat up old wheat penny or buffalo nickel.
I usto use a Teknetics eurotek pro and just kill on clad,$200 machine that just filled a pouch in no time. And it would go deep too,but I was after fast fresh drops within a few inches with that machine,and it worked great. Often wonder why I spend so much and hours of my time searching for elusive deep silvers that dont ad Upto much even when I’m lucky enough to get a few. Kudos to the clad hunters,smart group of hunters.

I’m on my fourth year since taking up metal detecting as a hobby. The first year and a half to two years I was mainly a clad hunter and got really excited digging quarters. :lol: However, me and my buddy Worm had the fortune of hitting a closed down city golf course that dated back to the 20s. After hitting silver there on the first hunt the silver bug bit me and clad has become blasé. :laughing: There are times when I’m in an area that I know the chance of hitting silver is small that I will concentrate on clad and jewelry. But for me there’s nothing like seeing shiny in the hole!

I'm looking mainly for deep signals, I will dig shallow clad quarters, but not many other shallow signals. I'm hunting in junky parks which have been hunted for many years. If you concentrate on deep signals, there are still silver coins to be found, also a surprising number of Indian head cents. Over the last ten years, I've also found two areas in heavily hunted parks which had apparently never been hunted. One was an area which was allowed to become overgrown in the 60s. The other was an obvious area that I can't figure why so many good coins were still there.

Hello my name is Dennis and I am a Clad hunter. I am 73 and long deep digging hunts are not for me. Just being on the hunt is all I look for. If I need the exercise I might as well get paid for it. Don't get me wrong I like the silver in the hole as much as anyone. That's why I got the 540. I have had hunts where I may have only have found a couple of dimes and a few pennies and it was still a great hunt. Being out there swinging and not knowing what is going to come out of the hole is a feeling of excitement I hope to never get over. That and most of the people in this hobby make it worth while.

I have been a clad hunter ever since I started MDing in the 70's. I have payed for a few detectors that way. I have been on many hunts with friends where the focus is on older coins and have found my share but it has never been a big priority to me. I enjoy hunting parks and home sites and I have really taken a liking to river hunting since I live near several rivers. Most of my silver last year came from jewelry and even managed a couple of gold pieces. The fun for me these days is just getting out in the sunshine and moving around a little.

Back
Top Bottom