Fob

you talking car keys? I have a hanging push button lock box like you see on house door knobs for rental houses, etc. I hang it on my trailer hitch but the fob is too big so I take the key out of it and lock the key in the box.

I put my fob and ID. In a waterproof container that will fit in my shirt pocket. The id is so they can identify the body should this old rascal expire.

I've had (3) waterproof containers and all of them opened. A screw on lid, a buckle lid, and a plano box. Last one cost me $350 and I said, no more. I leave my FOB in the car and use a valet key to open the door.

I tie the valet key to my swim shorts and double knot it. I also have a carabiner attached to the key and snap that on to my suit as a redundant way to secure the key to my person. Should the double knot come undone AND the carabiner break loose, I can call pop-a-lock to open my door and then use my master keys. Pop a lock is like $75 so its still better than the $350 key fob.

Much simpler and cost effective over the loss of a fob is having an inexpensive dummy key made. However, this will only open a keyed car door. I leave my set of keys inside the car and only take the dummy key on a stainless key ring and an old shoe lace that I wear around my neck.

Attachments

• Key.jpg
    Key.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 578
Much simpler and cost effective over the loss of a fob is having an inexpensive dummy key made. However, this will only open a keyed car door. I leave my set of keys inside the car and only take the dummy key on a stainless key ring and an old shoe lace that I wear around my neck.

xx 2

I bought a Ford that has a combo touch pad to unlock the door. If your Ford does not have the combo pad, one can be added for about $70. I now keep everything inside the car.

For the really paranoid you could have a fire safe bolted to the car's frame.

If you go with a zip-lock bag be sure to rid all air from the bag and keep it in a secured pocket so it will not float away. I have seen it happen! Key, ID and money in the bag and it was floating away fast as the wind pushed it out to sea.

I’ve used the Hitch-Safe for years with great success. If you have a hitch on your vehicle this is a great way to go. Amazon carries it.

Attachments

• BAD81A91-F98B-40B5-A32F-F4BCB3C88903.jpg
    BAD81A91-F98B-40B5-A32F-F4BCB3C88903.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 555
Do NOT use a non-electric key to open the door (ie put directly in the lock) if you are taking that key in salt water. Even if you dry the key. Unless you clean the salt off with fresh water, a little bit will get into the lock each time you use it. After a while the lock will be rusted from the inside and stop working.

I use a realtors lockbox similar to what everyone else here suggested. Simple, works on all vehicles, and inexpensive. If you have a vehicle with keyless entry, simply put on the back door (this is what the dealership do).

Why yes it does, never knew................another mystery solved, thank you

If you can find a way to lanyard that ejected key into a secured pocket (that's what I do) or a finds pouch you should be good to go. I leave the fob body "in" the car (special hiding spot). Can't start the car unless the key is in it anyway.

If you lose the key your facing a big replacement cost but if you can find a solid way to tether it to you while you hunt, win/win. I'm a minimalist, hate carrying around waterproof pouches/cases. There are electronic components in the body of the key fob that if exposed to water = dead! Nothing electronic about the key itself although you should clean & wipe if off before you snap it back into the fob body;)

I’ve used the Hitch-Safe for years with great success. If you have a hitch on your vehicle this is a great way to go. Amazon carries it.

That is fantastic!

My car has a waterproof "activity band" bracelet thingy that i can lock and unlock it with, keeping the FOB in the car. If i didn't have that feature - i would be all over that hitch solution.

That is fantastic!

My car has a waterproof "activity band" bracelet thingy that i can lock and unlock it with, keeping the FOB in the car. If i didn't have that feature - i would be all over that hitch solution.

With the hitch cover it makes it invisible. Once locked in with the HD metal pins it’s bulletproof. Good luck!

I just put mine in a ziplock baggie and bury it in the dry sand near a easily memorable post or something. Like a REAL metal detectorist would do. If you do anything else, you obviously dont have faith in your machine or your abilities.

I hate it when I don't check the thread date.
Forgive me

Rest easy Beachscanner

Last edited:
Make a Ghost Key

Get a key cut to open the doors, no chip inside. After that, I usually where a lanyard around my neck.
Your FOB will be safe and dry in the car.

Back
Top Bottom