How important is ground balance for my situation?

ozarktroutbum

I typically hunt for CW lead in my backyard. I probably have hundreds and hundreds of old nails and clad that I have to contend with.

I bought an AT Pro and I have used it for the last 6 months. However, I've decided that I am going to sell it and get something a little bit cheaper. I feel like it's too much bang for what I use it for. I am leaning heavily toward the simplex (but still a little bit intimidated at all of the features). However, I have looked at the F22 and would probably buy it due to how simple it is but I'm not sure about the preset ground balance.

I am located in south Alabama. I don't hunt in water or at the beach or saltwater.

How much am I going to miss out if I get something with a preset ground balance?

How much am I going to miss out if I get something with a preset ground balance?

If your soil is close to anything like mine in Birmingham probably a lot.
Too much bang for the buck?
Don't think I ever heard that before much on the forums.
The reason you get feature rich detectors is to have more ability to deal with mineralization, iron masking and other issues and better depth with better ID's at depth.
You don't have to use every feature but the more you have available to you the more arrows in your quiver to combat challenging sites and succeed.
If you are having a huge issue with those nails I might suggest get a small sniper coil for yours, they make hunting in iron, trash and garbage much easier.

I had an F2, old version of that F22 and used it for 3 years and found a ton but most of it was shallow both here and when I lived out west in much better dirt.
I hunted all kinds of sites including one in particular which was an old farmhouse with a gazillion nails.
Never could make a whole lot of headway with that F2 or anything else I used but then I upgraded to a Fisher F70, (now the Teknetics Patriot).
It took a little while to learn how to hunt in massive iron because it was confusing but soon enough I did learn and learned well and then you would not believe the treasure I found after.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.phpt=238214great

As much as I loved the F2 it couldn't touch what that F70 could do in any iron and junk infested sites and it continued to do that for many years after until today.
It wasn't just the GB that made the difference but add in the possible settings, more power and just much more abilities to do what I needed to do in difficult situations...like yours.

If you don't like the sounds yours makes, how it feels in your hands or have other personal issues with it and want to get rid of it for those reasons that's logical, to downgrade from an extremely capable tool to an entry level model because you think it is too much...AND if you think you would find as much as you do now or more or even if you think it would make things easier more with a lower end tool, you are going to be mistaken.
You don't downgrade from a full size Chevy truck to an S10 if pulling a decent size load is what you need to do.
They both are trucks, they both have 4 wheels and you can put a tow bar/ball on either one but the S10 won't cut it and it will eventually die.

You have what you need to get the job done, already, you just need to become one with it a little better.

There are a million guys around here with mucho hours on the Pro and I bet many that learned to deal with the same kind of challenging site you have...and got real successful at it, too.
I have two friends I hunt with in my crazy dirt around here and they both use the Pro...and are very successful.

If it were me I would ask a bunch of questions here about hunting in a carpet of nails from other owners and learn from them, plenty are willing to help you, I bet.
Once you get better at this stuff you will find more and it will become easier to do it....especially if you see the logic of using a smaller coil to help you sort things out better.
The bigger coil can do the job but snipers make everything much easier, as I mentioned.
Downgrading will not help you in the slightest....it will hurt you, instead.
Only my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Where I am in VA I require being able to ground balance often. I can walk a hundred yards and go from soft dirt to iron rich clay. I will always say though no matter where I am, or what kind of gear you're talking about, I'd rather be over prepared than under. I mean you already own it right? What says you might not go somewhere else in the future where you need it's functions?

I guess you saw the Simplex vs AT pro thread.

According to sales literature the Simplex isn't a preset ground balance, but has auto ground balancing. True preset ground is only found on low-end or old 80s/90s detectors that I know of. The results can vary on your location (or changed internally if you can find out how) - especially if you have different soils/areas. They are awful for say going from soil to a clay or sand area - they are preset for one location only.

With auto ground balancing however, the detector automatically adjusts the ground balance for optimal results. It should have no problem going to different locations (soil/clay/sand) and give the same result; however, if you are use to setting manual ground balance to a bit above the optimal for deeper results that is not possible with an auto balance.

However looking at the manual it claims to have manual ground balancing (page 12 of the manual, page 16 of the PDF). If this is true why do they not advertise this feature as well?! It says this...

NOTE: If the ground mineralization is too low, automatic ground balance may fail to work in other modes except for the Beach mode.

Manual Ground Balance

Allows you to manually modify the ground balance value. It is not preferred mostly because it takes time. However, it is the preferred option in cases where automatic ground balance cannot be performed or fine tuning is necessary for the automatic ground balance value.

SIMPLEX+ is designed to allow for automatic ground balancing conveniently on any type of ground.
However, the ground may not be suitable for automatic ground balancing in some cases and the device cannot ground balance on such grounds. For instance, wet beach sand, soils containing alkali or salty water, trashy sites, ploughed fields, highly mineralized grounds and grounds with very low mineralization are not suitable for automatic ground balance. In such terrains, you can auto ground balance in the Beach mode and then switch to other modes or try manual ground balancing. However, manual ground balance requires a skill which develops over time through practice.

To perform manual ground balance:

1) Find a clear spot without metals and select ground balance from settings.

2) You need to listen to the sounds coming from the ground in order to perform manual ground balance. Pump the search coil up and down from about 15-20 cm (~6''- 8'') above the ground down to 3 cm (~1'') off the ground with smooth movements and keeping it parallel to the ground. If the sound gets higher when lifting off the search coil above the ground, the ground balance value is too low, in other words, the effect from the ground is negative and the ground balance value needs to be increased by using the plus ( + ) button. On the other hand, if the sound gets higher when lowering
the search coil to the ground, the ground balance value is too high, in other words, the effect from the ground is positive and the ground balance value needs to decreased by using the minus ( - ) button.

3) The ground balance value will be shown on the display and remain there for a moment. You can return to the ground balance screen by selecting ground balance from the settings menu again if the screen switches. Manual ground balance functions within the range of 0-99.9. Press plus (+) or minus (-) buttons to increase or decrease the ground balance value, respectively. If the buttons are pressed once at a time, the values count one by one and if they are held down, the values will change quickly.

4) Repeat the above procedure until the sound heard from the ground is eliminated. The sound may not be eliminated completely in some areas. In these cases, listen to the sounds produced when moving the search coil towards and away from the ground to check if the ground balance is correct.
If there is no difference between the two sounds then the ground balance is set properly.

IMPORTANT! Experienced detectorists adjust the ground balance setting to a slightly positive response (weak but audible sound is produced when moving the search coil closer to ground). This method may produce favorable results for experienced users in certain fields where small targets are searched for.

IMPORTANT! If the device receives a lot of noise and/or emits false signals and you cannot eliminate it by reducing the sensitivity, first set your sensitivity back to its original level. Then increase the ground balance value between 90.1 - 91.0 one by one until the noise is eliminated. As the ground balance value is increased, the device's sensitivity to high conductive (silver, copper etc.) coins will decrease.

Back
Top Bottom