6 inch coil on the nox

I hunted along side a Nox + 6" user. And he seemed to be VERY handicapped on depth. If there is any benefit at all therefore, it must be for target separation/averaging. And since the Nox is *already* renowned for target separation/averaging (even with the stock 11" coil), he felt like all it did was handicap him on depth. So he promptly floated it on ebay.

With reference to depth on the 6” I’ve been impressed with its depth capabilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a 6 inch coil. It's not going to slam on deep coins, and coins at the edge of detection can sound like iron. That's not unique to the Nox 6" coil.

I have a permission where all of the older coins are 4"+ and many of them pinpointer deep or more. I can dig a dozen coins with the shovel and not one of them under 5 inches. After I got the 6" coil I took it out there and ran it wide open and was digging those coins. Plenty of them. Then, I took it to an area on the same permission that is a 40'x 100' blanket of pure pull tabs at 3 inches. I've pulled very few coins out of that area with two different detectors, including the 5x8" coil on the AT Pro but i know they're there. I cranked up the recovery speed, turned down the sensitivity, and the 6" coil was hitting on newer coins tucked between those pull tabs.

I've taken it back to two residential permissions and re-hunted trashy high traffic areas that have produced coins and buttons in the past. Off the top of my head, the 6" Nox coil sniffed out a thin aluminum early 1900s cafeteria token, a small US Amy medical lapel pin, and a civil war cuff button. Again, these were all areas I've gone over many times. Would I have found those items if I had just spent even more time with the other detectors/coils? Maybe. Maybe not.

Last edited:
Very surprising video on the 6” nox coil! Must watch

https://youtu.be/G8hs9j63ae8

I won't waste the time looking up the links to other videos that show it in other situations acting just as one would expect in comparison to the 11" coil. For example, when iron is at the front or back of the coil (or both) and the coin is under the middle of the coil.

What matters is which of those situations are actually likely to cause more problems than your other options.

He admits that he doesn't have the patience for that coil. It's not just about covering less ground making things slow, you also have to detect a bit differently with it.

The 6 inch coil is another tool in the tool box. I don't keep it on all the time.

Last edited:
My 6” coil has been working great and stays on my Nox 800 full time since I use the CTX for cleaner sites. The stock coil does very well in trash for sure, but the 6” coil is able to get in between junk targets like a laser beam. Depth from the tiny coil has been very impressive as well IMHO. Other benefits are ease of pinpointing and reduced weight. I love mine.

Mine is on the end 90% of the time. I’ve found an SLQ at 8” with it and a token the same size as a penny at 7”. Both found in formerly landscaped inert soil. The hot soil I don’t get great depth with either machine but I’m still learning. I haven’t seen much difference on depth except at the beach.

There is a house in my block that I have hunted more times than I can count.
It is across the street right on my block and walking distance from my house to an entrance to a park that sits right behind it that I hunt all the time so I hit it going to and coming back from that park.
I have used 3 Tesoros here and a few different coils, an F70 and 5 different coils and the Nox several times with the standard coil.
I have found a few nice silver coins, some wheats and a few other cool things but not much has popped up here for awhile but I keep trying just to see if I can find just one more piece of treasure.

We have black dirt in too but a few inches down there is red clay plus we are also blessed with an unusual amount of iron bits and pieces even in private lawns.
Here depth is not the issue but extreme forms of masking is.
5-6" seems like the magic number where some of the older stuff likes to hide, there might be some deeper but and it seems like many detectors might get further but masking screws up most signals from 4 -5" and deeper so many great targets are still around and are there for the taking it we can figure out the strange behavior on some very masked signals.
If I was looking for old things very deep I would use the larger coil but the prime depth I need to hit, maybe up to 4-8", is well within range of the sniper and even though the unmasking ability of the larger coil is shockingly great when the sniper coil is mounted it seems to enhance that already fantastic ability.
In this place with our challenges the small coil behaves like it was designed to work here specifically...I can't tell you how many severely masked targets I have noticed and dug with the larger coil but it is a lot, and I am finding even more with the sniper.

On my first run with the sniper at that house I mentioned above in a curb strip area that I know I have gone over many dozens of times in all directions with all my other detectors and so many coils and settings using the sniper on the Nox I got a signal I never got before.
High, a little jumpy from the high 20's to low 30's.
I assure you it I got even a piece of this kind of signal before this I would have dug it because I converted to digging iffy signals at this house long ago after the good stuff got sparse.
A definite dig me signal all the way on the sniper from at least one way so when I tunneled down to about 6", and pulling out some iron and after digging under a root, I see not one silver dime but two.

Don't know why nothing else I ever tried here saw these things but for the Nox and the sniper it was easy.

Attachments

• Twointhehole.jpg
    Twointhehole.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
I still use my etrac with stock coil, as well as 5" sniper coil. Like someone said before, it's an additional tool in the toolbox. I don't consider it a thorough job unless I've combed the site with both coils, from all directions, in damp and dry soil conditions, and try again the following year!

Sometimes the larger coil gets all the silver and wheats, and the sniper coil sniffs out the V and buffalo nickels.

I’ve only used the 6” a few times. It’s a fun coil to hunt with aside from the serious need for patience. It’s so dang tiny! I want the 15” coil, but keeping the 6”.

I like my 6" and found some pretty good finds. For whatever reasons, I find it fine tunes those heavy trash areas in finding those extra few good targets. A good tool for the right environment.

Back
Top Bottom