Hoarder

pplinker

Forum Supporter
My MIL died last month at 81. I feel like I should be sadder but instead I'm just frustrated and mad at her sometimes. Her will was dated 1984 and not notorized so it makes a big old mess for my husband and his brother to get to her money to pay for her burial and ambulance bills which we had to put on our credit card.

She was a hoarder and left behind a 16 x 80 mobile home filled to the gills. Cleaned out her fridge and there were expensive blocks of cheese long expired. Three or four five-pound bags of shredded cheese. Five 3 pound packs of bacon...expired of course.

Food piled behind the table years past the expiration some of it actually evaporated in the can. Old cereal and crackers that had bugs and smelled rancid. Five or 6 two pound bags of walnuts from Sams that cost 12 to 14 dollars a bag. Same with pecans. I emptied all bags and boxes out into the bucket of the tractor and dumped over the creek bank for the wild animals to eat. Thousands of dollars worth of food. She would go to the store and load up her cart and get mad if you tried to tell her she didn't need something.

She was constantly buying shoes but only ever wore one pair all the time. Same with clothes. She ran out of closet room and hung them on the shower head till it broke. There is piles of clothes almost to the ceiling

She had drawers stuffed full of jewelry, but it was all cheap, she'd never worn or took out of the package. If she'd taken the money she wasted on that she could have bought a few good pieces.

There's always some loose ends when someone passes, but it will take months and months of hard work to sort through all the stuff. Going to have to leave the heat on so the pipes don't freeze.

My advice, you don't owe your kids a thing, but they don't deserve a big mess either.

Attachments

• DSC00428.jpg
    DSC00428.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 160
BTDT too. Basement FULL of everything that she ever touched. Three 30 yard dumpsters just to clean out the trash. Unknown number of truck loads to Good Will.

BCD

I've got a lot of stuff to thin out, too. Hopefully, since I'll be working from home starting November, I'll have time to get rid of a bunch of stuff, since I will not have to waste a few hours for a commute. I was shredding a bunch of my mom's old receipts and documents dating back to 1968 when I had the mini-stroke that sent me to the hospital, and I haven't gotten back to cleaning out at the same rate since, but stories like this are a good reminder. I just have my brother and sister to leave things to when I'm gone, and I don't want to dump the job on them.

-- Tom

Sorry to hear that man. Once you get rid of all the expired food have a yard sale and just keep bringing stuff out. Even cheap jewelry sells...

Consider using an Auction company. We did after Dad died. We decide what they took, they came and loaded it up, took it to their auction location, sent a check less commission (I think was about 1/3).

They claim people who lived through the depression (which Dad did) tended to horde stuff.

Consider using an Auction company. We did after Dad died. We decide what they took, they came and loaded it up, took it to their auction location, sent a check less commission (I think was about 1/3).

They claim people who lived through the depression (which Dad did) tended to horde stuff.

Thanks, i'll look into that. The hardest part is going through stuff because you never know when something good might be tucked in somewhere.

I suggest you also pay particular attention to papers and documentation. You never know when there might be some long-forgotten stock certificate that is worth a good amount.

It's a long and tedious process, but it pretty much has to be done.

Roger

Thanks, i'll look into that. The hardest part is going through stuff because you never know when something good might be tucked in somewhere.

Right, I agree. Plus we'd all split-up some personal items, sold some others ourselves, basically sent "left-overs" to auction.

Back
Top Bottom