Philippine coins, Bolo knife, finds pouch, thanks David !!!!

GKL

Forum Supporter
My thanks to David for his very generous gifts !!!!! He sent me some extras of Philippine coins from his collection, including a very large (almost 1 1/2 inches wide) silver coin - a 1908-S Philippine Peso, as well as 10 other neat coins ! He also included a really neat smaller version Bolo knife his wife had brought home from her last trip to the Philippines, also a finds pouch he got free at Menards, he sent Ken one of the pouches as well !

pouch_plus.jpgPhilippine_coins.jpg

Below is a close up of the 1908-S Peso
Philippine_silver_coin.jpg

Here is a link with interesting info about the 1908-S Peso -

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/philippines-under-us-sovereignty-pscid-83/1908-s-usa-phil-peso-ms-coinid-55382

(I still need to look up info about the other coins later)

Gary has followed Ken Wards (dirtyknees) Philippine's post for a while and done a lot of funny photo/edits on his post over there. Me and my wife also often travel over there a lot to a diffrent island a little farther south in the Philippines. As a additional hobby I have built up a fairly large collection of Philippines coins dating from Spanish rule to current modern rule. While i have detected in the Philippines several times so far the average beaches are very trashy they tend to bury their trash and garbage right there on the beach. I have found a number of coins but none of value yet. While at Menards a few months ago they had the small pouch with belt loops, free with rebates so I picked up a handful, thinking they would be good finds pouches. I also sent one to Ken Ward who will be taking it with him this week when he goes back to the Philippines. The 1908 -s Silver Peso was minted in the USA and almost as big as the Morgan Silver dollar. The Silver Pesos were made the same size as the Morgan dollar from 1903,1904, 1905 ,& 1906 than slightly smaller for 1907 , 1908, 1909 , 1910 , 1911 ,& 1912 many of these coins were crated up and sank on barges in Manila bay to keep them out of Japanese hands when they invaded the Philippines. Many were never recovered after the war. In think they are some the most beautiful coins in the Philippines coinage.

A little bit of thePhilippines

With all of the work Gary has put into entertaining us here he deserves a bonus like this. Good on you David.
Gary had a lot of fun doing photo/edits on Kens last trip to the Philippines and I have shared a lot of my and my wifes past experiences in the Philippines with him as well. While it is not likely that Gary will make it over in person in the near future , it was one way of bringing a little of the Philippines to him. Ken will be headed back over there this week so watch for new post and of course some new funny/photo edits after he gets settled in and his internet over there back up.

Gary has followed Ken Wards (dirtyknees) Philippine's post for a while and done a lot of funny photo/edits on his post over there. Me and my wife also often travel over there a lot to a diffrent island a little farther south in the Philippines. As a additional hobby I have built up a fairly large collection of Philippines coins dating from Spanish rule to current modern rule. While i have detected in the Philippines several times so far the average beaches are very trashy they tend to bury their trash and garbage right there on the beach. I have found a number of coins but none of value yet. While at Menards a few months ago they had the small pouch with belt loops, free with rebates so I picked up a handful, thinking they would be good finds pouches. I also sent one to Ken Ward who will be taking it with him this week when he goes back to the Philippines. The 1908 -s Silver Peso was minted in the USA and almost as big as the Morgan Silver dollar. The Silver Pesos were made the same size as the Morgan dollar from 1903,1904, 1905 ,& 1906 than slightly smaller for 1907 , 1908, 1909 , 1910 , 1911 ,& 1912 many of these coins were crated up and sank on barges in Manila bay to keep them out of Japanese hands when they invaded the Philippines. Many were never recovered after the war. In think they are some the most beautiful coins in the Philippines coinage.

……..interesting info ! …...and that 1908 -s Silver Peso is definitely large !

https://en.numista.com/ Is a good sight to find pictures of foreign coins and what they are made of.

Thanks !

With all of the work Gary has put into entertaining us here he deserves a bonus like this. Good on you David.

Thanks for the very kind words Grumpa !

While those gifts from David were definitely very much appreciated I don't want anyone to feel it is necessary or expected as I enjoy doing those funny edits as I have time and I enjoy providing some laughs for everyone !

Gary had a lot of fun doing photo/edits on Kens last trip to the Philippines and I have shared a lot of my and my wifes past experiences in the Philippines with him as well. While it is not likely that Gary will make it over in person in the near future , it was one way of bringing a little of the Philippines to him. Ken will be headed back over there this week so watch for new post and of course some new funny/photo edits after he gets settled in and his internet over there back up.

David has shared some interesting past experiences and photos of the Philippines, and we are looking forward to what interesting stories and photos Ken will be posting after he gets to the Philippines !

new style of Philippines coins

The Philippines has changed to a new style of coins to prevent counterfeiting. There denominations are no longer practical , the peso which is their dollar coin is worth a little less than 2 cents of our money. The centavo which is their penny would take a bag full to buy some thing small. I rarely saw centavos in circulation last trip. Under their law they are still required to issue them. They also have paper curcency in larger denominations now. Here is a article from their mint that shows their newest coins. http://www.bsp.gov.ph/downloads/Publications/FAQs/NGCCoins.pdf

Back
Top Bottom