Free Silver

diggin4clad

Elite Member
I'm a member of a coin club that gives out Walking Liberty half dollars to anyone who makes a display of coins and gives a brief 2-3 minute talk about what the display is about. The meeting was last night and I displayed silver and gold bullion coins from countries around the world. I was awarded a 1946-S Walker for my effort.

Attachments

• IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 219
Not understanding how it's "free" when you provided a service in exchange?

FREE because it didn't cost me anything for the Walker. I volunteered to make the display, I wasn't hired to perform a service. Some people, including me, ENJOY being involved in their particular hobby.

Looks great there Pal! I will bring this format up to our Board at our next Coin Club meeting... Besides a lot of interesting old guys, We have some young members...teenage and on down to about 8yrs old..Plus we have a dozen or so Detectorist Members that would do a little interesting presentation! Especially for a FREE Walker! Great post!

Back when I was in school (over 50 years ago) like a lot of kids I started collecting coins and putting them in the little blue Whitman folders. Then one day I saw that there was a "coin show" in a nearby town. Sounded good so I went.
At the show I saw that one could buy the folders complete with all the slots filled in. That just ruined collecting for me. What fun would it be to purchase a completed folder....
I stopped looking for coins to add to the folders after that. I do still have the folders I started back then.

Great post. Thanks for promoting our hobby. Enjoy your new Walker, you earned it. GL & HH.
Thanks, Bub

Looks great there Pal! I will bring this format up to our Board at our next Coin Club meeting... Besides a lot of interesting old guys, We have some young members...teenage and on down to about 8yrs old..Plus we have a dozen or so Detectorist Members that would do a little interesting presentation! Especially for a FREE Walker! Great post!
Thanks Mud, at the November meeting I'll be making a metal detecting presentation showing detector finds and handing out catalogs/literature from White's and Garrett plus a few back issues of W&E Treasure magazine. Our coin club has 5-6 members who detect and a handful of others who seem interested. The idea of the exhibits is to make the meetings more interesting. The pic is the display I made at the coin club back in 2016.

Back when I was in school (over 50 years ago) like a lot of kids I started collecting coins and putting them in the little blue Whitman folders. Then one day I saw that there was a "coin show" in a nearby town. Sounded good so I went.
At the show I saw that one could buy the folders complete with all the slots filled in. That just ruined collecting for me. What fun would it be to purchase a completed folder....
I stopped looking for coins to add to the folders after that. I do still have the folders I started back then.
That's how I started collecting coins back in 1957....Blue Whitman Folders and getting coin rolls from the bank. I still have coins in Whitman folders but not the same ones as back then. I agree that buying a complete collection wouldn't really be much fun....you could always start again.

Attachments

• DSCN1381.jpg
    DSCN1381.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom