• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"In the Treasure Corner" topics?

dan

Elite Member
I got a private note from a board member, asking me to do some podcasts (http://thetreasurecorner.com) on maintaining, storing, and cleaning equipment. I thought some of you might have some thoughts on this, so here is the note I sent him back:

Mike, when I taught radio broadcasting, I assigned a semester project called the Hobby Series. Each student had to pick a hobby and write and record three short (3-minute) radio shows about that hobby.

My orders were: Make the shows fun! If you're doing shows on boating, talk about what to look for in a boat, what's the best type of boat for fishing, for water skiing, for paddling in a swamp. What kind of engine should a boat have, is it a good idea to buy a used boat, etc.

Then I said: DON'T do a program on boating safety. Because even though it is more important than many other topics, nobody will listen to it!

Radio audiences will switch to another station if they get bored with what you are doing, and very few people want to be lectured about boating safety.

So you can see where I'm going here. Namely, shows about cleaning, storing, and maintaining equipment, though important, don't have that "thrill" factor that keeps listeners tuned in.

I may try to touch on some of these points in an incidental manner now and then, but to devote an entire show to them would most likely not draw nearly as many listeners as the more "fun" shows.

So what do you think? Would YOU listen to shows about cleaning, storing, and maintaining equipment? Or do you prefer shows on "exciting" topics like where to hunt, secrets of getting permission, how to get better depth, and shows that make you laugh?

Yeah, I'd listen to shows on cleaning, storing and maintaining. Short shows, don't overwhelm me with the obvious, and maybe use some real life examples. But I'd also like the "exciting" topics as well.

Back
Top Bottom