Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 03-20-2020, 07:41 PM
Supporter

Default A Little Beach Silver

Yesterday morning the beaches looked a little more promising (on the beach cams) than they have been so I headed down to chase the tide out. I believe that this was my first beach visit of 2020 as I had been hitting the lakes on the last 10 or 12 hunts. It looked like there had been a little sand movement recently and I managed to find a few small pockets of targets here and there.
In one area I found 2 lead sinkers in a row followed by a nicely blackened silver spinner ring so the heavy targets were definitely accumulating there. A short time later a "scratchy" tone turned out to be a small Italian silver wrist or ankle chain. A loud signal down at the bottom of the slope resulted in a cheap pair of Foster Grants that looked like they had been there a while. I knew right away that they were cheap and worthless because I scooped them out in one piece without mangling them!
I didn't find a whole lot of coins on this hunt but it was sure nice to dig in the wet sand instead of fighting the rocks at the lake. However, swinging the TDI instead of the Nox definitely got my elbow's attention and made it a little difficult to sleep last night- think I needed to slow down a bit.

I think this is the first time that I have found a safety razor at the beach. Not the kind of thing that most people would be carrying around (???)
Also strange to find more nickels than quarters and no copper pennies!

The best of it.
When I got home I heard that California was in "lockdown". Metal detecting is most often a solitary activity for me so we'll see what happens. Stay safe out there!
GL&HH!

Old 03-20-2020, 07:59 PM
Supporter

Nice you got a few finds. The beaches I have been hitting have been decent only with a slope. Have to walk awile as it's all the same. Pockets here and there. What is odd is most of mine have been in the middle of the slope , down deep 12"+. Lower wet hardpack , not much to be found. AND I have to go real slow.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:17 PM
A Knight of the Round Coil

It's nice to see someone with a new post. I just started Spring Break and my beaches are closed. I have a plan to get out so we'll see. Congrats on the silver. I get a feeling posts in this section are going to be meager for a while.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:22 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs up Nice Haul

On the silver George , a pair of Ray Bans would have been Ice on the cake , Congrats, Earl

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 4- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10, Sovereign Gt

Old 03-20-2020, 09:31 PM
Elite Member

Keep the CA reports coming. But what we really need is some erosion ! Every beach up here is sanded in

Old 03-20-2020, 10:03 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
It's nice to see someone with a new post. I just started Spring Break and my beaches are closed. I have a plan to get out so we'll see. Congrats on the silver. I get a feeling posts in this section are going to be meager for a while.
Sorry to hear your beaches being shut down. Don't bother coming to Cali. By the time you get here , the door will be slammed shut !

Old 03-20-2020, 11:01 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by KOB View post
Nice you got a few finds. The beaches I have been hitting have been decent only with a slope. Have to walk awile as it's all the same. Pockets here and there. What is odd is most of mine have been in the middle of the slope , down deep 12"+. Lower wet hardpack , not much to be found. AND I have to go real slow.
Thanks KOB, Yes, mostly mid-slope for me as well. Lots of lightweight stuff as well- zinc pennies and canslaw.

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
Thanks Felix, Not sure what's going to happen with our beaches here but I think they would have a difficult time keeping the surfers out of the water.

Originally Posted by Surf Master View post
On the silver George , a pair of Ray Bans would have been Ice on the cake , Congrats, Earl
Thanks Earl, I agree- it was a decent hunt but some good quality sunglasses or gold would have taken it to the next level.

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Keep the CA reports coming. But what we really need is some erosion ! Every beach up here is sanded in
Yeah, it's been a pretty poor hunting season at the beaches down here as well but a few spots seem to open and close quickly.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:26 AM

Beaches in my area of the Gulf coast are closed to all. Supposedly a $5,000.00 fine for stepping on the sand.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:50 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by snorkel View post
Beaches in my area of the Gulf coast are closed to all. Supposedly a $5,000.00 fine for stepping on the sand.
Wow, that seems pretty extreme! Supposedly, in California we can still go outside for some exercise. I would think walking or jogging on the beach would be okay.
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/03/1...en-with-rules/

Old 03-21-2020, 12:32 PM
Elite Member

ALL my beaches are closed down here, they are just turning vehicles back and not allowing access to the towns even. No mention of a fine but I feel it's not worth finding out what they would do if you tried to run the roadblock...

Old 03-21-2020, 11:08 PM
Elite Member

Good stuff George. Glad you had a chance to get out and find a few goodies. See PM.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:49 AM
Supporter

Congrats on getting out and nabbing some sterling!

I got out too, “lock-down” mode.

Lots of people out and about.

Stay safe and happy hunting!

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2020 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $71.19 ($1045.18), Silver coins: 12 (38), Wheats: 32 (138), Gold: 1 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (83), Rings: 13 (227), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 03-23-2020, 04:46 PM

George, nice action considering the year we have had @ the beach......glad you found some of the good....

-Jerry

Old 03-23-2020, 05:03 PM
Elite Member

Nice job finding an producing spot and some silver.

Etrac Totals since 12/27/10 (2020) - Clad: $3520.08 ($111.13), Silver Coins: 1840 (106), Indian Heads: 59 (245), Wheats: 8472 (575), .925: 309 (15), Marbles 1011 (96), Coinstar Silver: 22, Oldest Coins: 1814 Large Cent, 1860 1/4 Reale, 1854 Seated Quarter

Old 03-23-2020, 10:17 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
ALL my beaches are closed down here, they are just turning vehicles back and not allowing access to the towns even. No mention of a fine but I feel it's not worth finding out what they would do if you tried to run the roadblock...
Many, if not most, of the beaches around here seem to still be open but most of the parking lots are going to be closed.

Originally Posted by jjm861 View post
Good stuff George. Glad you had a chance to get out and find a few goodies. See PM.
Thanks Jeff, Looks like a lot of beach parking is going away so that may be my last beach hunt for a while.

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Congrats on getting out and nabbing some sterling!

I got out too, “lock-down” mode.

Lots of people out and about.

Stay safe and happy hunting!
Thanks GS, Yes, too many people. If I hunt again it may at night when nobody's around.

Originally Posted by Pyriteboy View post
George, nice action considering the year we have had @ the beach......glad you found some of the good....

-Jerry
Thanks Jerry, If that's my last beach hunt for a while I'm okay with that.

Originally Posted by Jamflicker View post
Nice job finding an producing spot and some silver.
Thanks Jam, Just enough targets to keep me tethered to that one beach although I wonder if another beach might have been better.