FINALLY!! A Gold and Some Unique Treasure

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
I was able to coax a gold out of the weeds today along with some very strange targets in this spot. I have NO idea what the brass gizmo is that says:

To identify me telegraph this number 2896 to N.E. Registry Bureau Boston Mass. they will care for me and notify my friends. Could the tag be off a life jacket? The back says John Robbins Manufacturing Co. Boston. Then we have the cute little RR lock made in Brooklyn N.Y. One merc, two Rosey's and a Washington were my only coin finds. No wheat's, no clad and no injuns. The ring is 10K with a roman soldier on the front.

Another large grommet patent Aug. 26 1884 and the usual sinkers and other finds.

The Sears epoxy hardener is pliable and never opened it looks like.

Loved the unique finds today. Glad I was able to scrounge up a gold finally.

The ID bracelet has initials and Berlin 1945 on it.

Last edited:
Nice finds, that ring is similar in shape to a sterling one I found a week or so ago, mine is missing the stone darn it... and that ID tag is kinda creepy but kinda cool at the same time!

Good for you Scuba!! Ice is broken, now it's time to tear it up!

Neat finds Scuba! I think the badge refers to the New England Registry Bureau which produced directories (business and people) up to 1926. From the shape of the badge, I wonder if it clipped around a strap or suspenders.

Neat finds Scuba! I think the badge refers to the New England Registry Bureau which produced directories (business and people) up to 1926. From the shape of the badge, I wonder if it clipped around a strap or suspenders.

I was thinking around a strap on a life preserver for someone on an old wooden schooner. Thank you for the New England connection. I had no idea what the initials meant and google didn't help.

Nice fork! I think I found it's brother about 2 months ago!

picture.php

Rogers silver plated

Hi Scub,
Wow what great finds. The lock is very cool and I'd like to find one like that myself. The tag is stellar. I can only imagine what that is and can't wait until you find out. Now for the ring. I'm glad you found some gold. But you also found a old ring. Short story if I may? When I was 5 year old my Mother gave my Dad a ring just like that and I'll soon be 67. When Dad passed , my mother gave all the sons something of Dad's. I chose the ring because I can remember the day Mom gave it to him and he wore it till just before he passed at 92. What I have learned from jewelers is the rings were made between 1954 until around 1963. There were a lot of versions made but the most popular were a black stone, a gray and a almost black with a tint of red that when new only showed the red in the bright light. I deal with a number of Pawn shops and always look for them I've only found one other of the original old rings and a pawn shop owner wears it and it belonged to his Dad and was purchased by his Mother around 1960. That is a beautiful old vintage ring that shouldn't be sold for scrap. Just check ebay. The old ones bring a good price. Mine is priceless. That's the best find I've seen in a long time. But I'm a sentimental old fart. Great find my friend. Dad's ring in the original box.

Attachments

• 20170621_130101 copy.jpg
    20170621_130101 copy.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 436
Scuba...see also the following couple of links with nearly identical ID tags:

This one is a response from Mark Parker of "Western & Eastern Treasures" magazine
http://archive.wetreasures.com/askmarkparker/201210.htm [See 3rd item on the page]

Also: http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor...095&inventory_id=401589&attribution_id=407403
[has a patent date of 1899]

Also: https://books.google.com/books?id=4...=onepage&q="to identify me telegraph"&f=false [From a book titled "The Bricklayer, Mason & Plasterer", with a drawing of same type of ID tag. Paragraph title reads: Identification Check suggested to be worn on Belt or Suspenders ]

To find these, I just Googled the first few words on the tag "TO IDENTIFY ME TELEGRAPH" (including the quotes)

Jim

Back
Top Bottom