Type Of Sites People Hunt....

After 40+ years of hunting our small town finding a virgin site takes finding someone new willing to let you hunt. If you don't mind finding new clad then hunting parks and schools works fine. My hunting for gold has gone to the top of my list today as it can still be a valuable recent drop.

As far as old coins and relics I can only hope for a street tear out or building demolish. I still have a few sites that were old forts that has the potential to give up a goody now and then, but it lintels a lot of time and walking which I have little of now.

I can't complain. 40+ years of being the first to hunt some very historical sites in a place like Dodge City has left me with boxes and boxes of relics/coins and memories to last a lifetime. Of course I enjoy finding things but at this point if I didn't find another goody I'd still be happy just to swing that coil.

Plenty of public land left to detect. Just go where no one else wants to go. Swampy areas, heavy underbrush, downed trees and so on. Anyone can detect a school yard or a ballfield. Nice level ground, cut grass and few obstacles to slow you down. That's why they've been done to death. Boldly go where no man has gone before and you'll be rewarded for your effort.

yes this. More research more effort!

People in the old days weren't stupid. If people today wouldn't go there, neither would they. <snicker>

WRONG! land changes over time for many many reasons........ there are places near me that were once small farming communities.... now its like 200acres of swamp land(beaver fur fell outta style after people left that land is what happened there). There are places that were once field for 200 years, now is so thick you can't walk through it even with a machete, because someone finally gave up mowing it 20 years ago. You would be surprised the type of land people tried to settle around me that people won't touch even with a 4 wheel drive truck now. point is people are stupid now people are stupid back then, but also things change and you would be surprised on how much.

Also purely the time spent by the average person hunting or cutting woods puts them in more places than you would think. found a barber quarter on a hillside at a pretty serious 60 degree angle, there was a small shelf 3/4 of the way up it that I assume was used for hunting. dude man sat down in the early 1900s and it fell out of his pocket.

yes this. More research more effort!

This morning, I just researched old maps for my town. There are some nice ones that go well into the 1800's. Nice and clear. But... to use them effectively, you have to know what's there NOW and compare it to what WAS there then. I can see already, it's not going to be an easy search, unless you go one block at a time. Got to noodle it some more. :o)

WRONG! land changes over time for many many reasons...

SOME. Some land changes, and some hasn't changed for hundreds of years, like the great plains.Cityscapes, even in the US, change very little, landform wise. There are canals back east, right in DC that have not changed in over 200 years. I know farms in Virginia that still have old smokehouses sitting where they were built in the 1700's, let alone the houses.

SOME. Some land changes, and some hasn't changed for hundreds of years, like the great plains.Cityscapes, even in the US, change very little, landform wise. There are canals back east, right in DC that have not changed in over 200 years. I know farms in Virginia that still have old smokehouses sitting where they were built in the 1700's, let alone the houses.

I would venture to say that it is more likely that land changes than it doesn't, unless in a large paved city or town. Even in city and town there is landscaping ,moving of roads, New drainage dug that alters both land uphill and downhill from it. List is endless. yes there is still stuff that hasn't changed much, but it will at some point. All it takes is one storm, 20 years of abandonment, an extra 100 years of plowing that flattened it out, and so on. Point I am making (back to your original comment that spurred this)is there are PLENTY of places that people don't want to go now that were different back then. I have the finds, maps, and physical proof of it all over the east coast. Even in populated places like long island.

This morning, I just researched old maps for my town. There are some nice ones that go well into the 1800's. Nice and clear. But... to use them effectively, you have to know what's there NOW and compare it to what WAS there then. I can see already, it's not going to be an easy search, unless you go one block at a time. Got to noodle it some more. :o)

yeah it takes some time, helps if you can overlay onto google maps. Then you have to deal with the fact that the old maps were not always as accurate. so that some site you have been looking for could be 10 feet from where you think on that map to a couple hundred yards off.

Back
Top Bottom