Michigan Quarantine General Order

teotwawki12

Elite Member
For we Michigander diggers, this is section 7(a)(1) of the General order from the Governor:

"Exceptions.

Individuals may leave their home or place of residence, and travel as necessary:

To engage in outdoor activity, including walking, hiking, running, cycling, or any other recreational activity consistent with remaining at least six feet from people from outside the individual’s household."

I'm certainly not a lawyer. What are your thoughts?

https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9309,7-387-90499_90705-522626--,00.html

Well, Teo, since detecting, involves being outdoors, walking and ease of maintaining social distancing, and is recreational, I would say it is a "shoe-in" under the order's definition. I did not however read the link that you provided; only the quick definition you gave.

Jim

Last edited:
Well, Teo, since detecting, involves being outdoors, walking and ease of maintaining social distancing, I would say it is a "shoe-in" under the order's definition. I did not however read the link that you provided; only the quick definition you gave.

Jim

The link is just the full order. I just copied and pasted the relevant section.

I am wondering the same thing . Just a couple patches of grass showing on south facing hills. But I really need to get out.

".....walking, hiking, running, cycling, or any other recreational activity consistent with remaining at least six feet from people....."

I would think metal detecting would fall under "any other recreational activity" and I would think it'd be easier to keep your distance from others when detecting because you tend to be much less mobile, I'd think being constantly mobile when walking or running would increase your chances of coming across others you'd need to keep your distance from.

....To engage in outdoor activity,....or any other recreational activity ....

.....I'm certainly not a lawyer. What are your thoughts? .....

teotwawki, You don't need to "be a lawyer" to immediately realize that you can detect. I'm not even sure where a moment of hesitation could arise. Would you be waiting for red-carpets to be rolled out for you ? :shrug:

West Virginia’s says the same, yes metal detecting is included in outdoor activities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Virginia’s says the same, yes metal detecting is included in outdoor activities

Well it's a darn good thing, cuz I had a GREAT day detecting!!! Posting over in Stories & Pictures now....

Teotw, I agree with all of the positive posters above...you should have no worries detecting in Michigan other than the usual busy-bodies who might "report" you because they don't understand the order. Given what I know about you, that would be quite an interesting confrontation!

Ohio is under a similar stay-at-home order now. Ours pretty much reads the same, except in our case, playgrounds themselves are expressly forbidden. Parks are fine to visit, but not the playground and/or equipment...here's the Ohio Order's verbiage (full order can be read here):

5. Leaving the home for Essential Activities is permitted. For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following Essential Activities:
  • c. For outdoor activity. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements, as defined, below, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, running, or biking. Individuals may go to public parks and open outdoor recreation areas. However, public access playgrounds may increase spread of COVID-19, and therefore shall be closed.

Kind of ambiguous language from the standpoint of a detectorist interested in hitting tot-lots within a city park for clad...is it just the playground equipment, or the whole area covered in woodchips surrounding the equipment that's closed? What if there is no delineation between the play equipment and the rest of the park (ie, just surrounded by the same grass as the rest of the park)?? Tom in CA would have a field day with that...pardon the pun :lol:

Regardless, I fully intend to hit the areas of local old parks that are outside of the playground equipment areas. Fortunately for me, most of the local parks have their play equipment surrounded by woodchips or other matting material, so I think it's pretty obvious where I need to steer clear. Doesn't bother me...I'm not really interested in clad anyway. I'm gunning for the older stuff.

Last edited:
Regardless, I fully intend to hit the areas of local old parks that are outside of the playground equipment areas. Fortunately for me, most of the local parks have their play equipment surrounded by woodchips or other matting material, so I think it's pretty obvious where I need to steer clear. Doesn't bother me...I'm not really interested in clad anyway. I'm gunning for the older stuff.

I agree with you on that! My employer has scaled back, and has created two teams A and B Team. I am off work this week but I'm on call. I intend to hit my fields maybe I'll see you in a park I will wave from across the lot.:good:

Teotw, I agree with all of the positive posters above...you should have no worries detecting in Michigan other than the usual busy-bodies who might "report" you because they don't understand the order. Given what I know about you, that would be quite an interesting confrontation!

Ohio is under a similar stay-at-home order now. Ours pretty much reads the same, except in our case, playgrounds themselves are expressly forbidden. Parks are fine to visit, but not the playground and/or equipment...here's the Ohio Order's verbiage (full order can be read here):

Kind of ambiguous language from the standpoint of a detectorist interested in hitting tot-lots within a city park for clad...is it just the playground equipment, or the whole area covered in woodchips surrounding the equipment that's closed? What if there is no delineation between the play equipment and the rest of the park (ie, just surrounded by the same grass as the rest of the park)?? Tom in CA would have a field day with that...pardon the pun :lol:

Yea all our playgrounds are police taped off

Well you had better get out there ASAP....if the trend continues, you have some Confederate relics in your future.....
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=281303

Ha, I’ve not seen a kid out playing for months. Come to think of it, I never see kids out playing.

Lockdown’s a joke. Store parking lots at least half full and just as many vehicles on the road. Work says we can’t go into assisted living units nor apt bldgs. We spray down our trucks and equip w/bleach.

I'd be interested in hearing how they plan to enforce it. IF a citation can be issued, whom would they issue it to? Both, (or all) parties? It would be kind of hard to prove who performed the infraction.
Example; TEOTWAWKI12 could be out detecting, minding his own business, well off the normal traffic route. Some Yahoo that doesn't know any better slides up within the recommended 6 feet and just has to start asking questions about what he's doing, what he's finding, etc., etc. Some LEO drives by and decides to make an example of somebody, but he didn't see the actual events of the infraction. How will it be rightfully enforced? Does the innocent party have to retreat from the culprit in order to maintain the "social distance"? Does a "stand your ground" law apply? Can an individual reasonably argue that there was an assault with a deadly weapon (weapon of mass destruction?) on the part of the perpetrator?

All interesting questions.

Roger

Same thing for Indiana (those recreational allowances). Today the 25th was our first day. It was really warm and sunny and our beaches had many people out walking around enjoying their time off. :yes:

Michigander’s
I went out detecting today for four hours.
Whitmar’s Stay at home order has an exemption for Walkers , runners that says to abide by the 6 foot rule. I went to a school and not a person in site.
I had a really good hunt. Heck I’m going back tomorrow.
Doug

Back
Top Bottom