Why even think about going detecting?

Dirt clown

Forum Supporter
I mean really? Is it that important to risk your life or others? It's just a selfish idea, stay home and get things done around the house, pick up a book and learn something. You may think you are alone in a park, but how many times has a kid snuck up behind you and you didn't hear them? Almost every time I go out I get that.

Use your head.

This may be controversial, but I'll be metal detecting if I have time. Open outdoor space is not off limits. It's good for you. Even those in shelter in place restrictions should get out and get some fresh air. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Medical experts said this week that as long as people follow the government guidelines for social distancing — no groups that aren’t direct family members, staying at least six feet apart from others — activities such as jogging, cycling, hiking and walking are important for physical and mental health.

Live in fear, is that what your suggesting? You might want to find another forum for your soap box preaching. I understand you say your infected, and with pneumonia, I hope you fell better soon. I understand coronavirus can be serious, as a disabled veteran with a lung disease, I may suspect to its serious nature should I contract it, but the Flu and Pneumonia is very dangerous in my condition without the coronavirus, I'm not going to ask everyone who has the flu to quarantine themselves for me. And for the sake of a little perspective, up to 500,000 cases worldwide die from influenza, according to the W. H. O.
So stop spreading fear and panic.

I went out Saturday and it was awesome. I normally go when nobody else is around and rarely does anyone ever come up to me, and I would imagine now that likelihood would be even less so. I won’t tell anyone what to do, I assume we’re all mature enough to know what to do.

And I definitely will go again. People are allowed to be outside, just stay 6’ away. Pretty simple.

I'm just about to head out detecting. I won't be around any people and the spots I go people don't wonder up to me.

I get that if everyone wanted to go be alone at the park the park would be crowded with people and create the potential to spread the virus. But we can use our heads and find those spots where we truly don't come in contact with people I don't see a reason to stay home.

Live in fear, is that what your suggesting? You might want to find another forum for your soap box preaching. I understand you say your infected, and with pneumonia, I hope you fell better soon. I understand coronavirus can be serious, as a disabled veteran with a lung disease, I may suspect to its serious nature should I contract it, but the Flu and Pneumonia is very dangerous in my condition without the coronavirus, I'm not going to ask everyone who has the flu to quarantine themselves for me. And for the sake of a little perspective, up to 500,000 cases worldwide die from influenza, according to the W. H. O.
So stop spreading fear and panic.

No fear, just responsibility. My pneumonia is one of the complications brought on by Covid. Kids dont understand social distancing, they see what we do as interesting and want to ask questions as is natural. I can stay away from people, but cant make people stay away from me.

Sorry you are an at risk person, I mention these things so people like you can be safer. I am not an at risk person and know what this has done to me, people I know have seen what this has done to me and have taken measures to assure they do what they can to not catch or spread it.

Some people may be happy for the info, some not so much. Getting off my box now and deleting my profile since folks from the other forum migrate their anger and hate this way. I have better things to do than deal with ignorance.

Getting off my box now and deleting my profile since folks from the other forum migrate their anger and hate this way. I have better things to do than deal with ignorance.

I'm not sure what you are saying. You're deleting your profile and leaving this forum??

I mean really? Is it that important to risk your life or others? It's just a selfish idea, stay home.....I have better things to do than deal with ignorance.

No need to leave, but I don't know what you expect when you go on the attack and try and force your agenda on someone, and then to call us ignorant, just deal with your situation that's best for you and your family an come here to a "Metal Detecting Forum" plenty of other forums for politics, religion, beliefs and personal viewpoints, etc.
Your way wasn't suggestive, but insulting. But hey, no harm no foul, I'm sure dealing with what you have now is upsetting, we all say and do things we don't necessarily mean, and if you do, well, see ya, have a nice day, and I wish you and you family good health.

Let's get one thing very clear. It is not up to you to tell another member to find another forum.

Wasn't telling him to leave the forum, just that his attack on anyone going detecting doesn't belong on this forum, but hey, you seem to like to run around the rules don't you, and get bent out of shape when called out for it.

Dirtclown,
I think you will find more support here than negativity! Please hang with us and if you have an issue send a PM to a Mod/Admin or Report the problem.

No offense intended, so please don't take this personally, and please don't leave the forum, I really do understand and appreciate the need for caution, and each individual situation can be different depending on the population density of the area you live. I live in a small town, the last time the weather and my schedule allowed me to detect a couple weeks ago or so I detected for somewhere about 2-3 hours I think, and in all that time the area I detected in I had no one come within about 50 yards of where I was detecting and I only remember seeing about 2 people on foot the whole time.

I believe in erring on the side of caution and wear gloves and a mask when going to the grocery store or for a routine 6 month check-up today at the doctors, so I don't take this lightly, and would be much more selective on picking detecting areas for now.

Our governor has not mandated "shelter-in-place" but did just today mandate that public gatherings of 3 or more are prohibited, with the exception of businesses and private homes.

I'm not saying this isn't something to be taken seriously, it is, but doctors are not postponing non-emergency visits, I had a routine 6 month check-up today and my wife has non-emergency, non-critical, appointments coming up for physical therapy and knee problems, I would think they'd postpone such non-emergency appointments if they did not want people outside at all unless urgently necessary.

EDIT TO ADD: we all (including doctors taking non-emergency visits) could be rethinking this in a few weeks and not wanting to go outside at all except when absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
I think Dirt Clown is going through a tough time right now guys. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Sometimes we all need to be a little more sympathetic during these stressful times. BUT , nobody wants BS rammed down our throats !

Myself , if I'm legally allowed to hunt , I will. I was out today in HB and it was beautiful out. Only a few joggers out. The governor just announced that all state park parking lots will be shut down immediately.

I think Dirt Clown is going through a tough time right now guys. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Sometimes we all need to be a little more sympathetic during these stressful times. BUT , nobody wants BS rammed down our throats !

Myself , if I'm legally allowed to hunt , I will. I was out today in HB and it was beautiful out. Only a few joggers out. The governor just announced that all state park parking lots will be shut down immediately.

Yeah i went out hunting driftwood. No one within several thousand feet of me. I have been a germaphobe for years. I haven't avoided the flu for years being stupid. But i also remember taking my stepdaughter to a shrink who said how many college students have mental issues just being cooped up during testing. If you can get out somewhere and be left alone it may be good for the mental health. Not saying kiss some stranger in the lips.

The mods made this forum to discuss alot of things and that's what most of us love about the Friendly It's the best forum online . If someone posts something the mods will determine whether or not it belongs on here and if someone don't like the post then they don't need to read it and attack others for it!!

I will not get (or give) this virus by metal detecting. If I get it, it's because I have to go to the store every few days for supplies. I'm shocked that most cashiers I encounter are not wearing gloves. Gloves would help to protect me if they're already infected and protect them, if I'm infected. Seems like common sense, but it is being ignored.

When I went out to my mailbox, I had this thought. What if my mail carrier is currently infected and not wearing gloves? She could easily spread the virus to our whole town in a matter of days. Indifference is the enemy right now.

I will continue to metal detect in the woods and places where no one is around. As soon as I see anyone getting out of their car with kids, I'm gone. Kids are terrible carriers of germs and disease because they don't wash their hands as often as the should. Just my take on the situation.

If someone posts something the mods will determine whether or not it belongs on here and if someone don't like the post then they don't need to read it and attack others for it!!

And don't send someone a nasty PM if you disagree with a person's point of view. That's the coward's way of bypassing the rules here. I had to report a guy recently for doing that. Not acceptable and the mods will not tolerate harassment of any kind here.

I mean really? Is it that important to risk your life or others? It's just a selfish idea, stay home and get things done around the house, pick up a book and learn something. You may think you are alone in a park, but how many times has a kid snuck up behind you and you didn't hear them? Almost every time I go out I get that.

Use your head.

Seriously hope your feeling better soon!

I know it sucks but i agree if a person is sick, the resting is better for your own recovery and the health of others. But in all actuality now it seems people are in lockdown or quarantine without being sick. Rarely am i approached, so i believe many people can get out and detect wihen not sick and have zero contact with others.

So far had about 10 hours of detecting this year, and no exchange with anyone. Spent 15 minutes im a store today, and seem to have had 50 people within 5 feet of me at various times.

I will not get (or give) this virus by metal detecting. If I get it, it's because I have to go to the store every few days for supplies. I'm shocked that most cashiers I encounter are not wearing gloves. Gloves would help to protect me if they're already infected and protect them, if I'm infected. Seems like common sense, but it is being ignored.

When I went out to my mailbox, I had this thought. What if my mail carrier is currently infected and not wearing gloves? She could easily spread the virus to our whole town in a matter of days. Indifference is the enemy right now.

I will continue to metal detect in the woods and places where no one is around. As soon as I see anyone getting out of their car with kids, I'm gone. Kids are terrible carriers of germs and disease because they don't wash their hands as often as the should. Just my take on the situation.

Luckily it is hot here. You can wear a glove and throw your mail in the car for a few days. The cars here get to about 150 degrees closed. Nastiest hygiene i have ever seen is at the gas pump nozzles. After watching someone back in the 1990's rubbing a runny nose and palming the pump, i quit bare handing the nozzles. Of course being a retired Plumber we had to worry about things much worse than covid 19. So you learn not to rub your eyes with your fingers or bite your nails EVER!

Back
Top Bottom