On A New Long Island Sound Beach

Terry Soloman

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
I have been working to research and locate Long Island Sound beaches within 30-minutes of my house. While it takes me over an hour to drive out to Jones Beach on Long Island (plus $19.00 in tolls!), it took me less than 25-minutes to put my detector on this Long Island Sound beach this morning!

The beach is extremely small, not more than 75-meters long, by 35-meters wide, and is connected to a town park that was dedicated in the 1940s. I was snapping the sunrise photo, when a fellow pulled up in a town truck. I walked over and asked him what the deal was on the beach, and if I could detect it.

We started talking and I showed him my two machines (Sand Shark & Lobo), and we kind of hit it off. Well, after about 10-minutes of jibber-jabber, darn if he didn’t unlock the gate and let me on the beach - with a promise not to go in the water. I gladly agreed, and he told me I had two-hours before the park manager arrived, and that he would come back to let me out before she got there – SWEET! I started gridding the towel line at the far end of the beach, and here is what I found in about an hour-and-forty-minutes of hunting.

My first $1 Presidential Coin (Lincoln); 5-quarters; 17-dimes; 8-nickles; 37-pennies; a bullet; junk earring; silver earring w/stone; junk initial charm; Chucky Cheese token; and 27-junk targets. The coin dates ranged from 1964 – 2010.

I only covered a small area of the beach, but my new buddy gave me a day and time to come back over and get in the water while he uses my Lobo on the dry sand! All-in-all a pretty good morning and a great new buddy!

Attachments

• ts1.jpg
    ts1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 522
  • ts2.jpg
    ts2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 516
  • ts3.jpg
    ts3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 515
Wow sounds like you hit a nice area. It doesn't sound like its been hunted much. How was the trash situation?

Not much trash, almost no iron!

Wow sounds like you hit a nice area. It doesn't sound like its been hunted much. How was the trash situation?

Not much trash at all - 27-pieces! This has to be a virgin beach or close to it John, as I was detecting the extreme northeastern end! I'm also going to work on getting access to the older wooded sections of this park. I'm thinking there should be some old silver coins as well! :cool:

I just figured out last weekend everytime I go down to the jersey shore I have to use the toll road exclusion on my gps. It makes my trip last ten minutes longer but it saves me 6 bucks! If I figured this out three years ago I would have saved a ton of dough.

I Wish!

I just figured out last weekend everytime I go down to the jersey shore I have to use the toll road exclusion on my gps. It makes my trip last ten minutes longer but it saves me 6 bucks! If I figured this out three years ago I would have saved a ton of dough.

I hear you Brian, but there is no way around the bridge tolls to Long Island. From my door in White Plains, to feet on the sand on Field #6 at Jones, it is 1:15:00 with No traffic (54-miles each way). The Whitestone Bridge is like $9.50 each way. The Tr-State area blows as far as cost of living.. :cool:

Congrats Terry

I believe your in the zone , I see gold in the near future for sure.

Looking forward to seeing the next hunts pic's:thumbsup:

Terry, you always seem to step into it! It's nice to have your own private beach to hunt. As far as living in our area, they don't just suck it out of your wallet, They suck it out of your wallet through your nose. They have to make it hurt.
If you can get in the water you should find some nice gold.

Sometimes a "friend" in certain situations can be an enormous help... That place looks downright peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom