4 unexpected Silvers, TONS of clad 400+ coins!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Well, I was supposed to go on a bottle digging / metal detecting hunt to Central Montana, but the guy who was setting this up got sick, so my wife and I headed to Western WA on short notice to visit her parents for several days.

I packed the AT Pro and did manage to get in one full day, a partial day, and a couple of hours one evening to detect. I headed to the Tacoma WA area, and after driving around aimlessly for a while I stumbled on a neighborhood of 1920-40s homes with nice wide curb strips. I started in on the first strip and the coins were thick! Many many newer coins, then a wheat cent, and a Silver Rosie. All about the same depth, so I pretty much had to dig everything other than shallow zincolns. This first full day turned out to be the best, with over 170 total coins, including 2 Merc Dimes and 2 Silver Rosies. Odd that most of the coins were in the curb strips, as I did get permission in 5 yards, but only one had wheat cents and some modern coins. Talking to one of the owners, he said a guy had come thru several years ago and had detected his yard, the adjacent yard, so that explained the lack of coins in the yards, which are usually better than the curb strips. Anyway, the curb strips were loaded with clad and copper memorials, all about 2-3" down max, along with the odd wheat cent showing up, and surprisingly the 4 silver dimes. This was the best day I've done in Western WA as it has been heavily detecting for 50 years.

The next trip to the same area produced 130 more coins, no silvers, got some of the nice sounding Washington State Tax Tokens, some Chuck E Cheese tokens (their location was nearby), a few more wheaties, and a cool US ARMY Engineers pin (Fort Lewis is also near where I was detecting).

On my last trip out I hit a couple of local schools, what the heck, I did a couple of tot lots with wood chips, and part of a soccer field. Lots of clad, nothing old. I did get about 100 more coins, a couple of junk rings, junk earring, junk butterfly charm, junk heart charm, some jacket zippers, and other odd finds.

I had fun finding so many coins and targets, that was over 400 "up downs" and my legs were a bit sore, glad my knees are good and my general health is good! Was happy with the 4 silvers, thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 352
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 345
  • coins3.jpg
    coins3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 344
That was a great multi day exploration. I want to curb strip search very badly. I live near a 400 year old city with lots of strips, but I am still feeling too timid about going out on the sidewalks as the area around here has lots of people that sit outside, and some neighborhoods are not as safe as others. I know if I looked, there were be plenty of coins, maybe some nice silvers. I am getting better at asking permissions, but I don’t know that I want to ring every doorbell along a street to give notice of what I’m doing, and I don’t want to get hassled. So, I’m in awe of your haul, and would like to experience it as well, but don’t have the confidence yet to be right up front like that. Congrats to you.

That was a great multi day exploration. I want to curb strip search very badly. I live near a 400 year old city with lots of strips, but I am still feeling too timid about going out on the sidewalks as the area around here has lots of people that sit outside, and some neighborhoods are not as safe as others. I know if I looked, there were be plenty of coins, maybe some nice silvers. I am getting better at asking permissions, but I don’t know that I want to ring every doorbell along a street to give notice of what I’m doing, and I don’t want to get hassled. So, I’m in awe of your haul, and would like to experience it as well, but don’t have the confidence yet to be right up front like that. Congrats to you.

Thank you FLOOD! I hope you do get to detect some curb strips, sounds like you live in a great area with some really good age!

Thats a lot of diggin my friend. What a haul. Congrats on the shiny, mega clad and all the other cool finds. Good luck. Mark

Take that you clad naysayers......Awesome amount of clad. Reminds me of days long ago.

Thank you D4C! Yeah, there were a lot of coins, I think I dug a full roll of clad dimes, and tons of copper memorials!

Good pictures. My knees hurt just looking at that pile.

Hah, thanks Tom! I was a bit sore but thankfully feeling all better.

Thats a lot of diggin my friend. What a haul. Congrats on the shiny, mega clad and all the other cool finds. Good luck. Mark

Thank you Mark! Yep, while I wish I did find more old stuff (31 wheat cents and 4 silvers were pretty much all the old coins) at least all the coins were shallow and easy to get!

Way clean up those old WA strips. All those heavy metals polluting the ground can't be good for the environment. Glad to see you doing your part!

Great work there Shiny! Is that a Tootsie Toy I see in the pic? I love seeing those and think they are just as cool to dig as the Rosie's and the Merc's. Unfortunately, I've only been lucky enough to dig one so far.

Way clean up those old WA strips. All those heavy metals polluting the ground can't be good for the environment. Glad to see you doing your part!

Hah! Thanks Todd! Yep, gotta save the planet, so I will continue to do my very best to get those pesky metals, especially silver, out of the ground!

Great work there Shiny! Is that a Tootsie Toy I see in the pic? I love seeing those and think they are just as cool to dig as the Rosie's and the Merc's. Unfortunately, I've only been lucky enough to dig one so far.

Thank you Silverhorse! Not sure on the Tootsie, it does look to be an older car. Good luck on your detecting and hope you can pull one out soon. Probably a private yard permission would be your best chance!

I had fun finding so many coins and targets, that was over 400 "up downs" and my legs were a bit sore, glad my knees are good and my general health is good! Was happy with the 4 silvers, thanks for your interest!

I got some encouragement from your expedition, so I tried a curb strip that runs along a park. I probably walked 300 feet in length, and it was about 5 feet wide. I skipped over tons of signals because there was just so much going on. I know I missed lots of pennies for certain. Anyway, I got quite a large pile, but for some reason, mine doesn't look as good as yours! The most interesting coin I found was a bent 1996 Canadian $2 coin, a Toonie. However, the curb strip experience was def fun and interesting and I want to do more of them.

Attachments

• Wash Park Strip 08 Aug 22.jpg
    Wash Park Strip 08 Aug 22.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 2 Dollar Canadian  Front 08 Aug 22.jpg
    2 Dollar Canadian Front 08 Aug 22.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 2 Dollar Canadian  Back 08 Aug 22.jpg
    2 Dollar Canadian Back 08 Aug 22.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 204
I got some encouragement from your expedition, so I tried a curb strip that runs along a park. I probably walked 300 feet in length, and it was about 5 feet wide. I skipped over tons of signals because there was just so much going on. I know I missed lots of pennies for certain. Anyway, I got quite a large pile, but for some reason, mine doesn't look as good as yours! The most interesting coin I found was a bent 1996 Canadian $2 coin, a Toonie. However, the curb strip experience was def fun and interesting and I want to do more of them.

Very nice FLOOD! That Toonie is cool! Yeah, there can be a lot of trash in the curb strips, sometimes hard to pick out the good signals with the iron, flattened caps, etc. Keep it up and you will get some good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom