Metal detecting advise

james45

Elite Member
If you want to get noticed while metal detecting just carry a BIG SHOVEL and people will panic and call the police.:yes::shock::shock::shock:

Better yet, make sure you're dragging something heavy behind you wrapped up in a black plastic or large garbage bag. :laughing:

That's one of my peeves with other detectorists. I've told the story here before about the guy right in the middle of a Manicured 2-3 acre park that's sitting on an intersection of major traveled roads. Jumping on a big long drain spade, a very large shovel compared to a detector type like lesche. They argue how they make such nice looking plugs with their big shovel. It's the impression we're giving all who see that's the problem for __---__sakes. Me I'd be worried about what you may be hitting with that jumping down hard on a big long handle spade like that. Cut wire, cables, sprinkler pipe PVC. Phone line. Take em to the woods. Parks are small or hand diggers.

I am happy to say that in all my time detecting, I have only seen one person with a literal long handle, BIG shovels in public. That guy may have owned the land for all I know but I will never forget it.

The label "big" is tricky though. People probably think my 31" Sampson is BIG, and in places, it can be, but to a lot of detectors if it isn't a hand digger, it is too big. It also means a lot how you use a digger like my 31" Sampson. Be smart and don't simply go full blade-deep stab on shallow signals. Be a surgeon about it, and if there are lots of public eyes around, stealth your movement style, or even mark the spot and come back later if it might be a true deep treasure. Just use common sense.

To a coin popper using a screwdriver or probe, all shovels are big. I always pack a Lesche hand digger but it only gets use in exceptionally pristine and well manicured public areas. About the neater holes made with a shovel like the Sampson 31"? That is a true fact, it does cut a better plug. jm2c

I use a Predator Ultra Eagle, a Lesche hand digger and/or a home made coin probe. I use them in parks and curbstrips in plain sight of anyone to see, including park maintenance workers. I also use a drop cloth and extreme care with my plug repair/ replacement and make sure I don't leave a mess. People see meticulous care and respect just as easily as they see sloppiness and disrespect.

That's one of my peeves with other detectorists. I've told the story here before about the guy right in the middle of a Manicured 2-3 acre park that's sitting on an intersection of major traveled roads. Jumping on a big long drain spade, a very large shovel compared to a detector type like lesche. They argue how they make such nice looking plugs with their big shovel. It's the impression we're giving all who see that's the problem for __---__sakes. Me I'd be worried about what you may be hitting with that jumping down hard on a big long handle spade like that. Cut wire, cables, sprinkler pipe PVC. Phone line. Take em to the woods. Parks are small or hand diggers.

So true! Too many people treat properties like they are out on a backwoods Civil War campground.

If you want to get noticed while metal detecting just carry a BIG SHOVEL and people will panic and call the police.:yes::shock::shock::shock:

I've had the police called on me and I NEVER use a shovel. I've been detecting for 40 years now and have had the cops called on me maybe 5-6 times so it's not really a big deal.

I am happy to say that in all my time detecting, I have only seen one person with a literal long handle, BIG shovels in public. That guy may have owned the land for all I know but I will never forget it.

The label "big" is tricky though. People probably think my 31" Sampson is BIG, and in places, it can be, but to a lot of detectors if it isn't a hand digger, it is too big. It also means a lot how you use a digger like my 31" Sampson. Be smart and don't simply go full blade-deep stab on shallow signals. Be a surgeon about it, and if there are lots of public eyes around, stealth your movement style, or even mark the spot and come back later if it might be a true deep treasure. Just use common sense.

To a coin popper using a screwdriver or probe, all shovels are big. I always pack a Lesche hand digger but it only gets use in exceptionally pristine and well manicured public areas. About the neater holes made with a shovel like the Sampson 31"? That is a true fact, it does cut a better plug. jm2c
I'm with you. Unless I'm curb strip digging or at a ball park looking for recent drops, I use a Stuline spade as I dig super clean 3-sided plugs and leave no trace

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I used a long handled spade today, and was glad to have it, farm digging, rocky clay soil, hard as a rock ! I’ll do it again ! I refilled holes and replaced sod so you could not tell i had been there.

Back
Top Bottom