Planning Maiden Voyage in Water with Equinox 800.

About an inch from the top i drilled a hole through it, ran a line maybe 10 inches long and have a net float on it. That way when you are in deeper than your handle is long you can still let it go and spot it by the float. I drag it holding on to the float. No lanyard, I don't like lines hanging and floating around me wrapping up in everything.

Got it. Thank you. I'm so new to this. I wonder if my scoop floats with the handle upright, if I let go of it, or will is lay on its side and sink? Lol. This is embarrassing to ask. It's this scoop with a carbon fiber handle.

Attachments

• 20191012_154832_copy_600x420.jpg
    20191012_154832_copy_600x420.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 135
Please don't feel stupid or embarrassed by your questions. You just don't know. We all went through it. The advice your getting here is solid , but may not necessarily work out for you. But they are good starting points until you refine your own.

Got it. Thank you. I'm so new to this. I wonder if my scoop floats with the handle upright, if I let go of it, or will is lay on its side and sink? Lol. This is embarrassing to ask. It's this scoop with a carbon fiber handle.
That's actually a good question. No, that handle will sink but no big deal- I've dropped mine in the lake a few times- just scoop it up with your foot. What's scary is when I drop it in the heavy surf and it disappears for a few seconds!

3. Tony Eisenhower makes wonderful headphones for the Nox. Very comfortable, plenty of volume, and blocks out lots of ambient noise.

I bought a pair of Tony's headphones from Scubadetective some time ago. Looking forward to giving them some use.

That's actually a good question. No, that handle will sink but no big deal- I've dropped mine in the lake a few times- just scoop it up with your foot. What's scary is when I drop it in the heavy surf and it disappears for a few seconds!

I appreciate that. I'm glad I don't have to deal with heavy surf. I admire you ocean guys.

Floating handle?

Hi,

The handle will float. A hollow and sealed handle is the best way to go. When filled with foam it actually does not float as well.

Just like dirt hunting, the most important thing you need is patience.

Best of luck.

Chuck

Bottom line : foam floats ! Handle may not pull entire scoop up bobbing on the surface but use common sense !
Watch this video -see for yourself.
Gigmaster's Got the scoop !

Floating handles and foam - Facts do matter

Bottom line : foam floats ! Handle may not pull entire scoop up bobbing on the surface but use common sense !
Watch this video -see for yourself.
Gigmaster's Got the scoop !

Sorry but I stand by my statement: "When filled with foam it actually does not float as well" since the foam adds weight.

I was the first to manufacture carbon fiber handles and know a little about handles and physics.

An object will float when the total weight of the water displaced equals or exceeds the weight of the object.

Round numbers: A 1 3/8" OD x 48" handle displaces 71 cubic inches of water which is 2.55 lbs. So, any weight added such as foam will detract from it's performance. A hollow tube will float HIGHER out of the water and this is what you want. Not just float enough to keep from falling to the bottom of the ocean or lake.

It is like most superior products, it costs more to manufacture and often when copied the new manufacturer cuts costs and ends up with an inferior product.

Sorry, the facts can hurt sometimes.

Chuck

While the handle may float upright if you are in murky water deeper than your handle is long you won't be able to see it, that's why i added the extra foot of rope with floater on it. I can be about chin deep and the floater will still be bobbing on the surface.
Good luck!

Hard to see?

While the handle may float upright if you are in murky water deeper than your handle is long you won't be able to see it, that's why i added the extra foot of rope with floater on it. I can be about chin deep and the floater will still be bobbing on the surface.
Good luck!

That is why I added the white cap on the handle. Just another detail that costs money :cool:

The cheap way is to slip on a black rubber cover.

thanks

Chuck

Took mine into the water for the first time a week ago. It's on it's way back from Minelab now as it had some water ingress, a few drops they say so it locked up either on or off, but covered under warranty.

Sorry but I stand by my statement: "When filled with foam it actually does not float as well" since the foam adds weight.

I was the first to manufacture carbon fiber handles and know a little about handles and physics.

An object will float when the total weight of the water displaced equals or exceeds the weight of the object.

Round numbers: A 1 3/8" OD x 48" handle displaces 71 cubic inches of water which is 2.55 lbs. So, any weight added such as foam will detract from it's performance. A hollow tube will float HIGHER out of the water and this is what you want. Not just float enough to keep from falling to the bottom of the ocean or lake.

It is like most superior products, it costs more to manufacture and often when copied the new manufacturer cuts costs and ends up with an inferior product.

Sorry, the facts can hurt sometimes.

Chuck
Huh ? Facts NEVER hurt THE KOB ! I will go with the common sense in your statement :
"When filled with foam it actually does not float as well". Of course it ain't gonna pop to the surface , duh ! But it should stand up , along with air seal. Big deal.
Maybe that video of your competitor , kinda irked you when you were in the game. Idk...

Took mine into the water for the first time a week ago. It's on it's way back from Minelab now as it had some water ingress, a few drops they say so it locked up either on or off, but covered under warranty.

This is a concern for me. Was there any way to avoid this? Ultimately, I guess I'm going to give it a go and hopefully not have any equipment problems.

This is a concern for me. Was there any way to avoid this? Ultimately, I guess I'm going to give it a go and hopefully not have any equipment problems.

I've had mine completely submerged while out 3 times now, no issues (crossing fingers). From what I've read, it really is hit or miss.

Good luck!

I've had mine completely submerged while out 3 times now, no issues (crossing fingers). From what I've read, it really is hit or miss.

Good luck!

Exactly. I have a CTX that I've had in the water for 4 years, no issues.......EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST TIME I PUT IT IN THE WATER!!!!LOL. It had a bad main seal and flooded the electronics so fortunately then it was under warranty too. So I'm hoping to have the same luck with the Nox.

How did this start?

Huh ? Facts NEVER hurt THE KOB ! I will go with the common sense in your statement :
"When filled with foam it actually does not float as well". Of course it ain't gonna pop to the surface , duh ! But it should stand up , along with air seal. Big deal.
Maybe that video of your competitor , kinda irked you when you were in the game. Idk...

Honestly, I don't post much but I do read many posts.
Someone said the carbon fiber handle does not float and they can simply use their foot, toe to retrieve the scoop when on the bottom.

How can I stand by and listen to this misinformation and not say anything.

By the way, we all make mistakes and sometimes say things that we find out later we were wrong. How about standing up and admitting an error for once.

I stand by everything that I said and will continue to point out absolute errors or maybe lies. Maybe ignorance. you pick it

Chuck

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't post much but I do read many posts.
Someone said the carbon fiber handle does not float and they can simply use their foot, toe to retrieve the scoop when on the bottom.

How can I stand by and listen to this misinformation and not say anything.

By the way, we all make mistakes and sometimes say things that we find out later we were wrong. How about standing up and admitting an error for once.

I stand by everything that I said and will continue to point out absolute errors or maybe lies. Maybe ignorance. you pick it

Chuck

Hey , I make mistakes all the time. It's what you do afterwards that counts. One of THE KOB's mantras is : You are never too young or too old to learn something new.

So what exactly do you want me to admit I'm wrong ? Whether a scoop handle floats ? What moot point is there ?

Handles will float when filled with foam.

Hi,

The handle will float. A hollow and sealed handle is the best way to go. When filled with foam it actually does not float as well.

Just like dirt hunting, the most important thing you need is patience.

Best of luck.

Chuck

Thanks guys. I had no idea asking about the floating handle would prove so controversial! Thanks for all the responses to my water rookie inquiries. You guys are great.

Back
Top Bottom