• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Sleeper, awake! F70 bargain hunting

Update: The plan came together and I'm the new owner of NCtoad's F70 + NEL Hunter coil (see his 'sold my F70' post in this very forum). No one would ever call my technique 'speedy', but I'm confident that I'm good for a few dozen squats per hour at least. Every day can be leg day when you're detecting!

If it's half the machine it's been made out to be, I'll be selling my Eurotek Pro in the near future and the circle of life will continue. Thanks everyone, Mud and Toad in particular, and good hunting to all!

The F70 and Nel or Cors coils...they seem made for each other.
Sensitive, quieter and more stable.
Enjoy!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=246583&highlight=Nel+coil

Last edited:
The F70 is great. It's currently my go to detector and capable even in trashy environments.

I too am new....does this unit do well in areas with iron mineralization...I live in central maine...only 20 minutes from the historic Katahdin Iron Works. Seems like a lotta iron just everywhere.

I too am new....does this unit do well in areas with iron mineralization...I live in central maine...only 20 minutes from the historic Katahdin Iron Works. Seems like a lotta iron just everywhere.

A little iron, huh? :lol::lol:

I live and hunt in Birmingham Ala., one time known as Steel City because of the large amount of iron and steel mines, foundries and manufacturing plants we had here because when it comes to iron we won the geographic lottery.
Red dirt mineralized clay, natural veins of iron ore plus all the ingredients to make iron and steel exists in our dirt, we have lots of iron pieces from tiny to large infesting our dirt including a lot of the black stuff, too, slag runnoff from the iron and steel industries has been mixed into most of the fill dirt that was used and distributed when the city was being built from the 1800's into this century.
Even in private lawns the volume of iron can be mind boggling.
Most public sites I hunt usually had homes and neighborhoods built on them at one time, even my parks are reclaimed from old neighborhoods most of the time.
Hunting here at most sites is like hunting in the most iron infested old home sites you can imagine...then add mineralized soil to surround all that iron and whatever targets you are looking for and you have a confusing, depth limiting, up averaging, frustrating mess.

Sound familiar?

I have used a few different defectors in both great soil and this devil dirt and spent almost 4 years and 1000+ hours using, tweaking and experimenting with every combination of settings I can think of on my F70 to get the most out of it to get the best depth and best ID's possible in perfect soil, good soil with heavy iron infestation, my bad soil with massive iron and sites with insane trash volumes in both good and bad dirt.
Also next to, under and surrounded by power lines and in some sites with massive, pulsating, overwhelming EMI issues.
The F70 handled it all and excelled...once I figured out some repeating but still strange target behavior and hit in some decent settings.
Many are way out of the box settings especially when dealing with mineralization and iron...but they worked for me.

Lots of T2, F75, F70 and Patriot owners have figured out different ways to deal with all this, that is the great thing about this platform...it is adaptable to so many different types of hunters with a full compliment of settings and abilities to make you successful just about anywhere under most any conditions.
Once you figure out a few things.

Everything I learned and know about hunting in heavy iron, mineralization and up averaging around iron is written down somewhere in this thread.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/techniques/482069-mineralized-ground.html

You will also find there a reprint of NASA Tom's excellent observations, settings and opinions about hunting in iron...Commonly known as the Mono disc 6 settings.
A little advanced but a must read it if you use one of these tools and really want to understand how iron affects them.

My most successful technique I use in heavy iron is something I call the Blast-Through method...everything turned up, sense, thresh, all metal looking for certain fleeting but repeating behavior.
That took some time to learn but I still use it to this day.

These are very capable tools to use in and around iron, as a matter of fact they thrive and excel at it once, as I keep saying, you figure out a few things.

Back
Top Bottom