Awesome silver cleaning method!

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
So I dug this 1916 Merc the other night and the black wouldn't come off at all. Not even the tried and true method of baking soda. Someone on my facebook group page told me about a different method that worked wonders and its not electrolysis. I took the coin and put it into a small piece of tin foil. I spit in the tin foil and sealed up the coin. It quickly became hot and smelled like rotten eggs, just as he told me it would. After 15 seconds or so I took out the coin and below are the results after a little shining with baking soda. Learn something new every day...

Attachments

• IMG_2943.jpg
    IMG_2943.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_2961.jpg
    IMG_2961.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 841
Wow!!! Looks nice last year I cleaned all my silver but now I like the patina look. I will try that method with my war nickels though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow!!! Looks nice last year I cleaned all my silver but now I like the patina look. I will try that method with my war nickels though

Vic with a normal patina I agree. But this one was so black I could hardly see it and it is still a common date. I like the shiny look sometimes...LOL

Thats outrageous! Now theres a method a guy can get behind! Even in the field! nice work and thanks...we get some pretty black coins here from the water..I will give it a go on the next one...
Mud

You said "tin fool"
Did you mean aluminum foil??
I want to try it.

Will tobacco chew in the spit work?

Sorry, that's digusting. I tried to delete this reply but looks like it's not possible.

Back
Top Bottom