I'm going to clean my trime. Any suggestions?

Mr. Digger

Elite Member
It's not a valuable coin and I think I can get the rest of that black gunk off. I can't tell if it's tarnish or maybe tar or something. Some of it came off after the initial warm water/soap/soft tooth brush process at the sink, and that's all I've done to it so far. Any suggestions? I don't want to do the baking soda paste rub because it will be too silvery looking. Any other methods? Maybe I should just soak it in soapy distilled water for a while and that stuff will loosen up. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Trime 1.jpg
    Trime 1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 533
  • Trime 2.jpg
    Trime 2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 594
I had good luck on a 40% silver Kennedy half using electrolysis.
Just don't use too much salt, it'll be like a short and fry your transformer.
My coin was totally crusted over from its watery grave next to a pond.

A no touch method, you could freeze it in a bottle cap of water a few times and see what happens? The crud might tend to stick to the ice?

<°)))>{

One thing that works well is toothpaste scrubbed with a toothbrush.:yes:

I would avoid that, toothpaste is abrasive. Generally there is a clay product or baking soda in there giving it an abrasiveness that removes plaque from your teeth (or your enamel if you brush too hard). In fact, there was once a news story about an inmate that cut the iron bars of his cell window using nothing but dental floss and toothpaste (applied the toothpaste and sawed back and forth with the dental floss over it until he wore through the metal. It took him several years). Not sure about the accuracy of this story but Mythbusters tested this and found that overtime it really is possible. Short term, it will absolutely scratch a coin. You are basically rubbing dirt granules on it with a toothbrush.

Of course, if your coin isn't worth much and you aren't worried about destroying any potential value it doesn't really matter. But as a collector I can't take a toothbrush to a coin, regardless of value. It just feels wrong knowing I am basically annihilating the coin's surface.

Go with a solvent if the freeze method does not do it for you.

It actually looks like tar. Gasoline or MEK will wipe out almost anything. I'd let it soak and go easy with the removal. Abrasives are a big no-no on silver.

Let us know how you do.

I would avoid that, toothpaste is abrasive. Generally there is a clay product or baking soda in there giving it an abrasiveness that removes plaque from your teeth (or your enamel if you brush too hard). In fact, there was once a news story about an inmate that cut the iron bars of his cell window using nothing but dental floss and toothpaste (applied the toothpaste and sawed back and forth with the dental floss over it until he wore through the metal. It took him several years). Not sure about the accuracy of this story but Mythbusters tested this and found that overtime it really is possible. Short term, it will absolutely scratch a coin. You are basically rubbing dirt granules on it with a toothbrush.

Of course, if your coin isn't worth much and you aren't worried about destroying any potential value it doesn't really matter. But as a collector I can't take a toothbrush to a coin, regardless of value. It just feels wrong knowing I am basically annihilating the coin's surface.

The op said it wasn't worth much.:p

Not a valuable coin? I disagree, but that's my opinion. I would not do any additional cleaning unless it's just leaving it to soak overnight in soapy water, then rinsing off.

Agree on the shape of the coin, but I'd ask a coin dealer about solvent. Can strip metal off if you don't know what you're doing.

Acetone or gasoline won't do anything to the metal, or the patina..

Although if its tar, once it dissolves, may leave the coin "cleaner" where the tar once was..

<°)))>{

I wouldnt use anything on it if it was mine,the op said it was not worth much.:pullhair:

Worth and value may be subjective, and/or relative. However, that is, by far, the nicest 3 cent silver coin I have seen dug. I agree with you, it probably is best to leave as is. However, depending on what that black stuff looks like in person under a loop, I might try a mild solvent on it.

I just dug my first one the other day and it was mostly black just like yours , could hardly tell what it was . I let mine soak in some Tarn-x for like 5 min. because I have no patience and used a q-tip to clean the black stuff right off . Now its beautiful and the date was crystal clear .

I just dug my first one the other day and it was mostly black just like yours , could hardly tell what it was . I let mine soak in some Tarn-x for like 5 min. because I have no patience and used a q-tip to clean the black stuff right off . Now its beautiful and the date was crystal clear .

That ruins the value and makes it scrap only.

One thing that works well is toothpaste scrubbed with a toothbrush.:yes:

Unfortunately it's one of the worst things to do when it comes to cleaning old coins. Toothpaste and toothbrush is great for cleaning teeth and that's all. Using your method may actually damage the coin - and if you find an old coin only to damage it - then it'd be much better to never find it in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom