• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First time electrolysis

Joseph92

Hey guys, I just set up some electrolysis. I used at least a tablespoon (probably a lot more) of baking soda and a gallon of water. I have the negative lead on my object and the positive on the scrap. I have a 6A charger with ammeter that was suggested to me as a proven method for electrolysis.

I don't want to submerge the red clip because it decays away. But without being submerged, not a lot happens, if anything. When I dunk the red clip, the electrolysis happens immediately. So I guess it's not getting the right kind of connection. Any similar problems or suggestions?

Hey guys, I just set up some electrolysis. I used at least a tablespoon (probably a lot more) of baking soda and a gallon of water. I have the negative lead on my object and the positive on the scrap. I have a 6A charger with ammeter that was suggested to me as a proven method for electrolysis.

I don't want to submerge the red clip because it decays away. But without being submerged, not a lot happens, if anything. When I dunk the red clip, the electrolysis happens immediately. So I guess it's not getting the right kind of connection. Any similar problems or suggestions?

You shouldn't have to immerse the clip holding the sacrificial piece. I use another clip to hold that one in place at the rim of my container, and keep it out of the water. You may need to replace the clip with one made of another metal. I bought mine at an auto parts store.

You shouldn't have to immerse the clip holding the sacrificial piece. I use another clip to hold that one in place at the rim of my container, and keep it out of the water. You may need to replace the clip with one made of another metal. I bought mine at an auto parts store.

I do the same thing with a binder clip to hold in place the positive lead above the water. I got it working by using some stainless steel without any rust on it as a sacrificial piece. I guess the rusty iron wasn't getting a good connection. I'd sure like to use some of the scrap iron I find though.

I do the same thing with a binder clip to hold in place the positive lead above the water. I got it working by using some stainless steel without any rust on it as a sacrificial piece. I guess the rusty iron wasn't getting a good connection. I'd sure like to use some of the scrap iron I find though.

Yep. That was the problem. Stainless will work much better than rusty iron. I should have asked what you were using. Sounds like you are on your way.

Back
Top Bottom