anybody understand post office routing of packages?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I shipped my Simplex from Atlanta to Hictory NC and here is the route it was taking via USPS Parcel Select: (not sure why it would go to Oxford, MS)

Apr 2, 2020
9:33am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
GREENSBORO NC NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Apr 1, 2020
6:03pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
OXFORD, MS 38675
Apr 1, 2020
3:46pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Apr 1, 2020
10:42am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Apr 1, 2020
9:27am
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
DULUTH, GA 30097
Mar 31, 2020
9:31am
Tracking number provided

Several centers have closed down over the last few years so straight shot deliveries have been changed to what you have experienced for awhile.
Many routes still make sense but many don't anymore.

I just read an article that supposedly quoted the head of the P.O. where he stated they have just enough money to last through June...unless Congress acts we will see what happens.
What is happening now might be the last nail in their coffin.

They have been losing money for many years now because the government evidently has no skill in running a business.
Also Congress apparently never realized what fax machines or email is or how badly it all would have impacted their bottom line.

Last edited:
Sweetheart pensions are killing USPS. They refuse to change it, so their solution is to keep raising rates. Great way to go out of business. I use UPS a lot more now, since their rates are almost the same and they actually have tracking that tracks a package every day!

USPS isn't is a Private company? That is what I thought of.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I think it is but funded by the government with the same employees and managers.

Here at my nearby post office I go around back to drop off my shipments on the loading docks. There near the door are the managers only parking.

A top of the line Mercedes and two top of the line BMW's.

I know many of the employees over the years and they all know how to do their jobs and do them well. What the heck do they need that level of management for? Never, never see the managers they must just sit in their offices all day long.

Sweetheart pensions are killing USPS. They refuse to change it, so their solution is to keep raising rates. Great way to go out of business. I use UPS a lot more now, since their rates are almost the same and they actually have tracking that tracks a package every day!

The pension problem I think arrived at a congressional act some time ago that required them to "pre-fund" pensions, and that has messed up their finances from that act on to the current date. Before that, they weren't a money losing operation, if I recall correctly.

-- Tom

Not sure if it is the same with USPS but even before the Coronavirus sometimes when I ordered from Amazon occasionally the package would track from coming from out of state (we live in South Carolina) to a location IN our state, then go back OUT of our state to what I guess is a distribution center in North Carolina THEN come back into South Carolina and be delivered to us :lol:

I once shipped some vintage oil cans (full) to a guy in Maine. The package went from Scituate, RI to Providence, RI to Springfield, MA to Trenton, NJ, back to
Springfield, MA and then up to Maine. Why? Who the heck knows, but the package was big and weighed over 20 pounds. Total waste of time, effort and truck space on the part of USPS!

Had a package come from Michigan. It Stopped in Indy and then went back to a different location Michigan. then to Louisville ky to Nc and then to SC.

Sent a usps package to a town north of Knoxville. I put the wrong last digit on the zip code. So the package went up the interstate less than ten miles. Back to Knoxville and back to that same post office it did it three times until I got the guy the package was intended for to call the post office and have them hold it for him They were too stupid to read the danged address and change the zip code.

you paid for cheap shipping
ground
had you paid for priorty shipping 2-3 day max and it gets
$50.00 free insurance lesson learned:roll:

you paid for cheap shipping ground
had you paid for priority shipping 2-3 day max and it gets
$50.00 free insurance lesson learned

The USPS rates have become too high to ship heavy packages priority mail. No buyer on eBay wants to pay $50 shipping for an item they bought for $40.

I think it is but funded by the government with the same employees and managers.

Here at my nearby post office I go around back to drop off my shipments on the loading docks. There near the door are the managers only parking.

A top of the line Mercedes and two top of the line BMW's.

I know many of the employees over the years and they all know how to do their jobs and do them well. What the heck do they need that level of management for? Never, never see the managers they must just sit in their offices all day long.
I understand. But look at the whole situation. Some people put all their money in their car. Or have their spouse making more money.their are tons of reasons, maybe a inheritances or they are mortgaged out on the car.
Don’t Read the book by the cover.
My car is a 2005 , 15 years old.
Doug

I have nothing but praise for Springfield, Mo. postal workers. I used to get my paycheck every 2 weeks in a priority mail envelope. I was standing by the mailbox waiting many times and the mail lady seen my payday dance and started to drop off my check before she started her route. Parts were shipped to a PO box and they would call and let me know they arrived. It is probably because we are a smaller city, but the Post Office here goes way beyond what you would expect. This time of year they get a lot of baby chickens, if you don't pick them up as quick as they think you should they are going to feed and water them and keep them warm, not because they have to but just cause they are nice people.

I did have a neighbor that didn't get mail for a week because of a "menacing dog" on the front porch. It was a statue of a doberman.

I have nothing but praise for Springfield, Mo. postal workers. I used to get my paycheck every 2 weeks in a priority mail envelope. I was standing by the mailbox waiting many times and the mail lady seen my payday dance and started to drop off my check before she started her route. Parts were shipped to a PO box and they would call and let me know they arrived. It is probably because we are a smaller city, but the Post Office here goes way beyond what you would expect. This time of year they get a lot of baby chickens, if you don't pick them up as quick as they think you should they are going to feed and water them and keep them warm, not because they have to but just cause they are nice people.

I did have a neighbor that didn't get mail for a week because of a "menacing dog" on the front porch. It was a statue of a doberman.

Neat idea as long as you inform your postal worker, maybe it will work as well with people you don't want coming on your property.

I've been seeing an additional stop in my packages, but they still get here. I don't know if it's the result of some social distancing policy, staffing shortages, or whatever, but some of my packages now make a stop at Burke, VA now. No issue, as long as they get here...

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom