• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

VERY inexpensive loupes......

John Madill

Elite Member
Dropped by Harbor Freight this afternoon for some 9 volt batteries and took a look at their magnifying glasses.

Found this very inexpensive set of 5 loupes of varying powers.

Only $3.75 for the set.

They are very sharp. The box shows the different powers on each loop in a contrasting color.

But the box is wrong. the powers are just etched into the black plastic and are very hard to read.

So i added some numbers and affixed them with packing tape.

It would be very easy to drill a small hole in each to attach a lanyard of some kind if desired.

When you look at a shiny new dime with the 10x loupe the detail really jumps out.

Attachments

• magnifiers.jpg
    magnifiers.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 584
Thanks for posting that, John. I’ve been using a watchmaker’s loupe for years and really like it. With a little practice, you can set it into your eye socket, where it’ll stay in place, hands-free. That’s a decent price too !

I have had that set for several years. About the only one I use is the ten power. I keep it handy for checking dates on coins that I find.

Dropped by Harbor Freight this afternoon for some 9 volt batteries and took a look at their magnifying glasses.

Found this very inexpensive set of 5 loupes of varying powers.

Only $3.75 for the set.

They are very sharp. The box shows the different powers on each loop in a contrasting color.

But the box is wrong. the powers are just etched into the black plastic and are very hard to read.

So i added some numbers and affixed them with packing tape.

It would be very easy to drill a small hole in each to attach a lanyard of some kind if desired.

When you look at a shiny new dime with the 10x loupe the detail really jumps out.

adding the numbers a good idea

Back
Top Bottom