FBS Coils: DD, S.E.F or Concentric?

medicchief

Forum Supporter
I'm curious about what a good 2nd coil would be for my Explorer SE. I hunt for everything except old iron stuff. More into coins and gold/jewelry. The ground here isn't very mineralized and I hunt trashy areas only once in a while. I really don't want to add too much weight to an already hefty machine. What do you eTrac/Explorer users recommend? I'm leaning towards a NEL Hunter. Thanks for any input!

If it was me, 13" Detech Ultimate!
Amazing coil! Light, deep and separates extremely well!
Jer

Hey Martin, yes I had 2 of them. I would have to disagree on that.
For the size of the Ultimate, it separates amazingly! Plus its not as heavy as the SEF coil! For me the SEF coils ID'd trash as a good targets. Dont get me wrong they are great coils as well but I did dig more trash.

Thank you all for the input! I picked up a slightly used FBS NEL Tornado, largely because of the price (1/2 of a new one). The reviews seemed to be pretty good, we'll see. Any thoughts on the Tornado coil? I'm still in the market for a smaller coil, but not in any hurry. From what I've read/heard the Sunray X-8 is a sweet FBS coil as well.

The SEF 6x8 or the original 10.5" coil from a older Explorer...

I see a lot of people say that the 10.5" Minelab 1050 coil (the one that came with the Explorer 2) is worth keeping as the default coil, and that the pro coil is mostly for weight reduction and maybe better separation (but possibly at the loss of some depth). Thoughts?

I see a lot of people say that the 10.5" Minelab 1050 coil (the one that came with the Explorer 2) is worth keeping as the default coil, and that the pro coil is mostly for weight reduction and maybe better separation (but possibly at the loss of some depth). Thoughts?

I never did like using a SE Pro/Etrac coil on the Explorer, I got better usable depth with the XS and II coils. I do prefer the tan XS coils...have had cable shorts and snapped ears with the black 1050's.

Thank you all for the input! I picked up a slightly used FBS NEL Tornado, largely because of the price (1/2 of a new one). The reviews seemed to be pretty good, we'll see. Any thoughts on the Tornado coil? I'm still in the market for a smaller coil, but not in any hurry. From what I've read/heard the Sunray X-8 is a sweet FBS coil as well.

How has the Tornado been treating you? I have been eyeing it, but would like something lighter even yet, like maybe the hunter. I find the minelab 1050 to be heavy.

How has the Tornado been treating you? I have been eyeing it, but would like something lighter even yet, like maybe the hunter. I find the minelab 1050 to be heavy.

I'm liking it, it's a little deeper than my pro-coil and only weighs slight more. I was really surprised how well it separates, as big as it is. But money is tight with buying our new house and I need a little extra cash right now. That said, I listed it on eBay for $100 shipped to the lower 48. Will also list here. It's almost like new, still has warranty card.

I'm liking it, it's a little deeper than my pro-coil and only weighs slight more. I was really surprised how well it separates, as big as it is. But money is tight with buying our new house and I need a little extra cash right now. That said, I listed it on eBay for $100 shipped to the lower 48. Will also list here. It's almost like new, still has warranty card.

Glad you like it.

For a smaller coil i had a 6x8 SEF butterfly and it worked well. Coiltek makes a 6x10 that ive heard great reviews on. They use to make a 6x10 "Joey" coil and I've heard and read that was the best smaller coil for the Etrac. I honestly have no idea the difference between those to coiltek coils besides the colors.

As far as a FBS concentric coil, good luck, never seen one. Was told FBS was essentially set upto work with a DD coil, and concentric coils wouldn't work with FBS

Glad you like it.

For a smaller coil i had a 6x8 SEF butterfly and it worked well. Coiltek makes a 6x10 that ive heard great reviews on. They use to make a 6x10 "Joey" coil and I've heard and read that was the best smaller coil for the Etrac. I honestly have no idea the difference between those to coiltek coils besides the colors.

As far as a FBS concentric coil, good luck, never seen one. Was told FBS was essentially set upto work with a DD coil, and concentric coils wouldn't work with FBS

I won't be looking for a concentric coil. I've also heard a Sunray X-8 is hard to beat as well. Thanks BT!

Glad you like it.

The original FBS machines came with a 10.5 concentric coil. That is what I have.

Back
Top Bottom