Cops Called Today

uc6446

I was out hunting in a park that I have hunted many time in the past. Every park worker I ever encountered never gave me a hard time about digging in the park. Most of the time they would ask if I found anything good. Some times they would just ask me to not make a mess and fill in my holes. No Problem.
But today I was out hitting a side of the park that has homes about a 100 yards from where I was hunting and a chain link fence separating the the area I was in from a large patch of woods part of the park and then the homes.
Some guy walks the 100 yards through the woods to the fence and asks me what I am doing, and tells me I am not allowed to be metal detecting in the park. He tells me if I don't leave he is going to call the cops. An hour later here come the cops. Nice young cop told me that the guy called complaining dispatch called the town parks dept and the parks dept said not metal detecting in the park. Some people just cant mind their own business.

I was out hunting in a park that I have hunted many time in the past. Every park worker I ever encountered never gave me a hard time about digging in the park. Most of the time they would ask if I found anything good. Some times they would just ask me to not make a mess and fill in my holes. No Problem.
But today I was out hitting a side of the park that has homes about a 100 yards from where I was hunting and a chain link fence separating the the area I was in from a large patch of woods part of the park and then the homes.
Some guy walks the 100 yards through the woods to the fence and asks me what I am doing, and tells me I am not allowed to be metal detecting in the park. He tells me if I don't leave he is going to call the cops. An hour later here come the cops. Nice young cop told me that the guy called complaining dispatch called the town parks dept and the parks dept said not metal detecting in the park. Some people just cant mind their own business.

You should still go online and look up the regulations for that park for yourself, just to be sure whoever dispatch talked to simply didn't assume it was prohibited without actually looking up the rules for himself.

Sorry but that's the regulations your in the wrong.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Please tell us more. I’ll bet metal detecting is not specifically prohibited, but some pos bureaucrat decided he/makes law with their opinion and us subjects better just stfu and color.

Please tell us more. I’ll bet metal detecting is not specifically prohibited, but some pos bureaucrat decided he/makes law with their opinion and us subjects better just stfu and color.
See your own words kill your argument. I'll bet.... you need to know the facts/rules/laws.

Again knowing the law and then if confronted quote the law and ignore them with clear mind.

Did you go research the regs or just get pissy and rant about the incident. I don't know which is worst.
Happy hunting.

Lesson learned...We have all been through this scenario.... Ya see, a guy cant get engaged in a verbal debate, dont even try! For me, Its far much easier to act like a bubbling idiot boobboo and mutter and stutter and act totally sub 70 IQ window licking booger eating ignorant....which is natural to me...Urban camoflage. Folks feel sorry for you if you appear dumber than they are, and I am...It disarms them and makes them feel sorry for you rather than mad at you see?...

It helps if you wear khakis and can piss your pants on demand...I get away with this tactic all the time with my Wife of 40+ yrs.!..
She comes roaring up on the fight about something, and I just demure and blubber some nonsensical gibberish and piss my pants and she leaves me alone..

The key is to always wear khakis and carry half a bladder...Take your cues from natural defensive mechagnisms..Like a skunk does...wave the tail briefly, turn and throw off the stink if needed...nobody in their right mind fusses with a skunk!....

No cop wants to cuff and stuff an old pants pissing park picking penny picker! Just dont talk human to no humans and you will be fine..... go straight up gibbrish Dothraki lingo and piss yourself from jump, No troubles.....

FWIW, I employ this tactic at least once a week in all Human interactions and it works!....I'm still alive! I'm so damned dumb!:laughing:

Last edited:
Most parks list the rules of the park on the sign at entry, I used to hunt a park, on one side entry listed, on the side I enter it doesnt, if the cops come I would have an out, no sign were I entered , however I new it was on the other side entrance , better safe than sorry , in your case when the guy said that , since you were in the wrong , I would have said ok sir no need for that I'll go , have a nice day .

But today I was out hitting a side of the park.....

I'm curious to know what kind of digging tool were you using. To be clear, I'm not casting blame. It just seems crazy that it would catch somebody's attention from 100+ yards away. He probably sits on his porch with binoculars.

See your own words kill your argument. I'll bet.... you need to know the facts/rules/laws.

Again knowing the law and then if confronted quote the law and ignore them with clear mind.

Did you go research the regs or just get pissy and rant about the incident. I don't know which is worst.
Happy hunting.

My question is how do you know it’s the regulations? Did you research it or just decide to throw your 2 cents in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going by the information presented in the post, he was in the wrong.

I have no way of confirming any of this story as factual. But given what he stated is true. Yep he was wrong. You can form your own opinion.

But it's on you to know the regulations and laws where ya go detecting. In this day and age one can Google this information. Good way to preserve our hobby and present a positive impact on others who don't hunt.

Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Going buy the information presented it in the post he was I in the wrong.

I have no way of confirming any of this story as factual. But given what he stated is true. Yep he was wrong. You can form your own opinion.

But it's on you to know the regulations and laws where ya go detecting. In this day and age one can Google this information. Good way to preserve our hobby and present a positive impact on others who don't hunt.

Happy hunting.

I’ve been told no detecting in my local parks but the head of the parks board says it’s perfectly fine. It’s just 1 random person saying no.

You don’t know the op was in the wrong or not.

I’ve been told no detecting in my local parks but the head of the parks board says it’s perfectly fine. It’s just 1 random person saying no.

You don’t know the op was in the wrong or not.

Lol thanks for making my point. You researched the law. Good for you.

Again I am only going on what he posted. The rest is just bs. [emoji8]

Going buy the information presented it in the post he was....in the wrong.

In this day and age one can Google this information. Good way to preserve our hobby and present a positive impact on others who don't hunt.

No, the information is not always online or even posted. There have been plenty of stories of people getting run out of parks with no signage present or information online. It could be one person on one day making an interpretation of a nearly universal "damaging the grass" law.

It's also not clear what was said to the dispatcher by the caller. "He's digging up the park!" You also don't know how that was then passed on to the parks representative (if that conversation even happened at all).

You ignored the part where actual park workers on the scene have had no issues with him detecting. That seems like evidence that detecting is actually allowed, but perhaps the parks official that got bothered with this phone call wasn't going to approve--sight unseen--somebody "digging up the park".

Sorry but that's the regulations your in the wrong.

For a cop, you’re awful presumptuous. You don’t know the details or the laws/regulations in the area. The ops case could be the same as mine, a desk worker that don’t wanna talk to the boss so they assume they have control when they don’t.

No offense, just pointing out facts

A person working grounds or picking up trash may not care or be able to enforce laws/ regulations.

Just because you have gotten away with it doesn't mean you are right. I don't know the facts to this post. But based on the Information presented. I stand by my response. If you dig at location where its prohibited your wrong period. It is YOUR responsibility to know the laws. I hunt public land and I carry a copy of park rules and have educated few persons who thought I was in wrong.

Again I could careless go hunt in prohibited places get fined and make all metal detector look great to the public [emoji2357]

For a cop, you’re awful presumptuous. You don’t know the details or the laws/regulations in the area. The ops case could be the same as mine, a desk worker that don’t wanna talk to the boss so they assume they have control when they don’t.

No offense, just pointing out facts

Lol have a nice day sir nothing to see here please move along [emoji8]

Again I am only going on what he posted.

Assuming there's nothing (websites or signs) specifically banning metal detecting, what exactly would you have done differently to be a better ambassador of the hobby?

Call the parks office to get permission before detecting?

Stop detecting when the neighbor said it wasn't allowed and threatened to call the police?

I didn't see anything indicating he argued or refused to leave once someone in a position of authority said it was not allowed. I don't see anything in his post to indicate he's not taking responsibility if those are the laws.

What would you have done better?

…..But based on the Information presented. I stand by my response. If you dig at location where its prohibited your wrong period. It is YOUR responsibility to know the laws. I hunt public land and I carry a copy of park rules and have educated few persons who thought I was in wrong.....

You keep saying you are going by the information presented, but you're assuming it was possible for the guy to know beforehand that detecting was specifically against the rules. He never says one way or the other. It is extremely common for metal detecting to not be addressed specifically in any rules and yet people still get booted consistently in some places and inconsistently in others.

You keep saying you are going by the information presented, but you're assuming it was possible for the guy to know beforehand that detecting was specifically against the rules. He never says one way or the other. It is extremely common for metal detecting to not be addressed specifically in any rules and yet people still get booted consistently in some places and inconsistently in others.

I still vote it was a desk worker that didn’t wanna talk to their boss and assumed they had the power. Besides the op never said they didn’t read the regulations, they may have. Maybe it didn’t say it wasn’t allowed. Which would make it to be nothing wrong except the desk worker and the cop that didn’t look up the law themselves (which is their job)

Back
Top Bottom