Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 02-14-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Advice please

Hi Everyone,
I'm quite new to detecting, and am trying to decide on my first proper detector.
I've had a couple of old ones which were, well, rubbish to be honest, maybe 2 inches or so in soil.
I don't want to spend a fortune and don't mind a good used one . I've read about Garrett ace 250's etc, and not sure which one to choose! I quite like the Bounty hunter tracker 4, but not sure.

I just want a decent depth starter machine, reliable, maybe a bit above entry level, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart

Old 02-14-2020, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by stu8352 View post
Hi Everyone,
I'm quite new to detecting, and am trying to decide on my first proper detector.
I've had a couple of old ones which were, well, rubbish to be honest, maybe 2 inches or so in soil.
I don't want to spend a fortune and don't mind a good used one . I've read about Garrett ace 250's etc, and not sure which one to choose! I quite like the Bounty hunter tracker 4, but not sure.

I just want a decent depth starter machine, reliable, maybe a bit above entry level, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart
The ACE 300 was released in 2016, and is the newest version of the ACE 250, which came out in 2005. I used the ACE 300 frequently over the past couple of months, primarily at the beach, but I can't recommend it for that purpose except in the very dry sand. However, it is a great detector for fields and parks. Very good at finding coins at decent depth and generally reliable.

All entry level machines from Fisher, Garrett, and Minelab are quality detectors and available for less than $300. I would go with one of those three brands.

Gold: 0 "Today is the day!" -- Mel Fisher

Old 02-14-2020, 11:51 AM
Elite Member

Welcome to a great hobby.

Check out the Minelab Vanquish 340 and 440. A lot of performance for a modest investment...

https://www.minelab.com/usa/vanquish-series

Old 02-14-2020, 12:22 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by TexHunter View post
Welcome to a great hobby.

Check out the Minelab Vanquish 340 and 440. A lot of performance for a modest investment...

https://www.minelab.com/usa/vanquish-series
X2

Old 02-14-2020, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

You can't go wrong with the ace or the bounty hunter, but you are getting pretty close to the cost for a Simplex

Old 02-14-2020, 12:30 PM

Hi Stuart, Welcome to the hobby.

Originally Posted by beachclad View post
All entry level machines from Fisher, Garrett, and Minelab are quality detectors and available for less than $300. I would go with one of those three brands.
As beachclad stated, you can't go wrong with one of these brands. I personally have a Fisher F22. It has been a great starter machine. I paid about $219 for it. Just do your research and find one that fits your budget and has the features you're looking for.
Good luck!

Old 02-14-2020, 12:30 PM

Thanks for all of your replies, I will ponder over the weekend.
Really appreciate your help, after all you guys have been there and done it, that's the best way to do everything I think
Thanks again

Old 02-16-2020, 08:24 AM

Thank you all for your help, I have decided to go for a nearly new ADX 150 at a good price, as per your advice it seems pointless getting anything cheaper, this one should mean I wont need to upgrade anytime soon.
I really appreciate advice from you all. Happy hunting
Stu

Old 02-16-2020, 08:37 AM
Supporter

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Stuart
Hi Stuart! I hope you find the machine you're looking for and there's plenty of good folks on the forum to help you. Here's an article for some Essential Gear Needed with a little added information that may also help you.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:02 PM

Although im fairly new to detecting myself, i really like my Garrett ACE 300. I have a lot to learn yet, but i understand my machine a little more everytime i go out. I got the anniversary package which come with the pinpointer and i can say i wouldnt enjoy going out nearly as much if i didnt have it. And i had a few buddies beat up on me about spending the amount of money i did on a shovel and trowel, but it was well worth every penny because of how easy and nice they cut clean plugs. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2020, 12:27 PM
Supporter

My first detector was a Teknetics Delta 4000. I still have it! It's my loaner and backup. I have found some awesome stuff with it. I have owned many detectors and it's very hard to beat, in my opinion. As a beginner, you might find the higher number target ID (1-99) easier to use too, compared to the ML compressed ID. You can find used Delta's pretty cheap occasionally. Just my 2 cents worth....get what your gut tells ya!

Old 02-16-2020, 01:33 PM
Elite Member

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Stuart
tesoro "mojave" if you can find one! excellent lightweight detector
it's single tone technology,so a good learning opportunity to learn the 'audio"
of a metal detector and what;s it's telling you on targets in the ground.
good luck!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:20 PM
Elite Member

Nokta Makro simplex hands down, best bang for your buck in the market currently IMO. Good luck out there!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:17** KG2☆

Old 02-17-2020, 07:06 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Nokta Makro simplex hands down, best bang for your buck in the market currently IMO. Good luck out there!
I believe that a Nokta Makro Simplex would have probably been my choice as a first detector too, if it was out 10 years ago....