White TRX Pin Pointer Battery life

Battery life
Dose anyone know how long the TRX will last on the two AA batteries compared to one 9v battery.

Doug
I can't say for sure because when I used a TRX, I used only the 9V type. Considering that two AA batteries have only 3 volts I'd think the battery life would be somewhat shorter using them.

I have never used 9 volt, AA last forever on tone only, vibrate and tone you get about half that. I have never had mine run down enough for a low battery warning tone. I change them every 3rd or 4th change of the pros battery whether they need it or not.

Ok thanks. I have been using two AA batteries all summer on vibe and tone and if I remember I only went threw two sets of AA. So I’m thinking I should be able to make it all summer being the 9v is three times the voltage of two AA.
Batteries are cheap when you get them at Dollar General for a buck.
I was surprised on how long the tone/vibe lasted last summer.
So I think I’ll be changing over to the 9v next summer.
Com paired to my old Garrett (Black older pointer) I really like my TRX.
Doug

Ok thanks. I have been using two AA batteries all summer on vibe and tone and if I remember I only went threw two sets of AA. So I’m thinking I should be able to make it all summer being the 9v is three times the voltage of two AA.
Batteries are cheap when you get them at Dollar General for a buck.
I was surprised on how long the tone/vibe lasted last summer.
So I think I’ll be changing over to the 9v next summer.
Com paired to my old Garrett (Black older pointer) I really like my TRX.
Doug

I really like my TRX too! It pinpoints straight down off the tip, not all around like my Garretts do. Only have a couple hunts with it, 9v battery in place so I can't add to the battery life question yet. I'm keeping the two AA's with me as spare.
Before I got my TRX I was carrying two pinpointers, the PPAT and the PP2. I
leave the PPAT set oh high sensitivity and use the PP2 when I need lower sensitivity. The PPAT was just too much of a bee-atch to change sensitivity, the button took a hard press to function. I don't want to waste time fumbling with equipment. Then my PPAT started to just go off randomly, rendering it useless most of the time some I looked at the Whites TRX and bought one.
But even the TRX goes off sometimes with no targets around so I am wondering what is going on here. For the most part it's been working great and I love the way it pinpoints straight down off the tip. That is the way I think a pinpointer should work. Even with that I am still using two sometimes when the high sensitivity setting on the TRX is a problem I will pull out the PP2, it's lower sensitivity and easy push button can be helpful.
Sure do miss the Zlynk audo in my headphones though....

I have carried two PP'ers for years, one is the TRX, but if I could only carry just one pointer, the TRX would not get the nod. That tip only detection just keeps me down on the ground too long, having to move the tiny flashlight-tip-detection beam, after dirt is out of the hole. The TRX is great for the extra inch it gives which the Carrot misses, so the TRX is cool in pre-dig when the depth meter on the detector indicates 2-3 bars.

As far as pinpointers going off a lot and needing lower sensitivity? Simply tap the power button on the Carrot during the episode, and it retunes. Easy-peasy. I run every pointer I own at full detection setting. jmq2c

Random chirp. Large metal near by, wearing a ring or watch.?.
Also run 4 on the sensitivity and when it’s too hot just ratchet it down as you get closer to the target. I really likes the four sensitivity settings especially being able to ratchet it down.

Tip: if you are running AA batteries you can still store the 9v battery adapter in the handle so you don’t loose it.
Doug

A aa battery has 4.2 watt hours 2 have 8.4 watt hours and a 9 volt has 5.49 watt hours . So the aa will last longer than the 9 volt voltage does not matter 9 volts or 3 volts there is a voltage comparator in there which lets the pinpointer run at maybe 1 1/2 volts so you go from 9 volts to 1 1/2 volts and 3 volts to 1 1/2 volts since the aas have 3 extra watt hours they well last longer . sube

I bought my TRX when they first came out and as of today, I'm on my second 9V battery. Never have used the 2-aa setup (because my MD also uses 2 9v and I'm carrying extras of those). BUT- I don't use the TRX everyday either.

Last edited:
I found the TRX to be a little hard on battery life. But it isn't unreasonable. I use the 9v batteries. Next time, I will try the AA's and see how they do.

I can't easily explain it but I sensed a slight lag with the AA batteries, compared to the 9V. I adopted using 9 volt batteries years ago just because of that. Nines just seemed to be snappier. It's been years since I used AA batteries. If the AA-s had extra longevity, I didn't feel comfortable using them once I sensed that lag, regardless if it's real.

It was like the vibrate and tone wasn't in total sync.

Back
Top Bottom