Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-05-2020, 06:57 PM
Mistersippi's Avatar
Mistersippi Mistersippi is online now
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ocean Springs, Ms
Posts: 227
Red face Bottle Dump!

So I came across an underground bottle dump this morning and Iíve been in the midst of cleaning bottles this week so I cleaned up what I had and the new bottles I found the best I could and here is the result.
Attached Images
                      

__________________
Gear: Garret AT Pro | Garret Pro-Pointer AT | Predator Tools: The Hurricane Shovel
2020: Gold (0) | Silver (6) | V-Nickels (3) | IHP (3) | Buffalos (3) | Wheat Cents (29)
Find of the Year - Confederate Pelican Cuff Button


Last edited by Mistersippi; 02-05-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 02-05-2020, 08:13 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa , California...San Rafael Native.
Posts: 12,279
Default

The brown sioux city sarsparilla is new.
I like the older sodas

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.. Equinox 800.
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6. Luke15:8-10
Oldest U.S. coin 1899 Half dollar (see upper left)

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #3  
Old 02-05-2020, 08:15 PM
Mistersippi's Avatar
Mistersippi Mistersippi is online now
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ocean Springs, Ms
Posts: 227
Default

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
The brown sioux city sarsparilla is new.
I like the older sodas
Thanks and yeah I just liked the way it looks! Never seen one before!

__________________
Gear: Garret AT Pro | Garret Pro-Pointer AT | Predator Tools: The Hurricane Shovel
2020: Gold (0) | Silver (6) | V-Nickels (3) | IHP (3) | Buffalos (3) | Wheat Cents (29)
Find of the Year - Confederate Pelican Cuff Button

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 PM
Mistersippi's Avatar
Mistersippi Mistersippi is online now
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ocean Springs, Ms
Posts: 227
Default

Originally Posted by GLASSHOPPER1955 View post
Hey GLASSHOPPER I was curious if you knew anything about Barqís bottles. The one I found that says Biloxi Artesian Bottle Works is one I canít find to identify age. Iíve found similar ones but none with the B on the top. Wondering if you knew anything of them.
(Edit) - Didnít know how to tag you in this so I pulled a quote from the other thread.

__________________
Gear: Garret AT Pro | Garret Pro-Pointer AT | Predator Tools: The Hurricane Shovel
2020: Gold (0) | Silver (6) | V-Nickels (3) | IHP (3) | Buffalos (3) | Wheat Cents (29)
Find of the Year - Confederate Pelican Cuff Button

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 02-05-2020, 09:50 PM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 4,169
Default

Nice moderns, I like the Cokes!

BTW, moderns to me are anything newer than 1920.
100 y.o. moderns!
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 02-05-2020, 10:00 PM
Mistersippi's Avatar
Mistersippi Mistersippi is online now
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ocean Springs, Ms
Posts: 227
Default

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Nice moderns, I like the Cokes!

BTW, moderns to me are anything newer than 1920.
100 y.o. moderns!
Thanks! I donít find to many 19th century bottles that are still in one piece so I take what I get. Haha

__________________
Gear: Garret AT Pro | Garret Pro-Pointer AT | Predator Tools: The Hurricane Shovel
2020: Gold (0) | Silver (6) | V-Nickels (3) | IHP (3) | Buffalos (3) | Wheat Cents (29)
Find of the Year - Confederate Pelican Cuff Button

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 02-05-2020, 10:59 PM
Jodo_Kast501 Jodo_Kast501 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 181
Default

Very cool! Also, my band played at the Squeaky Lizard in Ocean Springs some years ago.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 02-05-2020, 11:19 PM
Pumptech's Avatar
Pumptech Pumptech is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 219
Default

Nice selection of bottle finds!
I found a 1920's Orange Crush bottle on the beach last weekend along with a Glory Bottling Company, NY green bottle in the same hole. It was a chance find as I was digging a low signal on my Equinox. I took out about three scoops of sand and they were in the hole about 12" down. Needles to say, they came home with me.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 02-05-2020, 11:59 PM
L0S3R's Avatar
L0S3R L0S3R is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Huntington, Wv
Posts: 1,633
Default Bottle Dump!

I like the one that Iím guessing is a syrup bottle? The one with the pour spout.

And the rest of course


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 02-06-2020, 12:01 AM
Mistersippi's Avatar
Mistersippi Mistersippi is online now
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ocean Springs, Ms
Posts: 227
Default

Originally Posted by Jodo_Kast501 View post
Very cool! Also, my band played at the Squeaky Lizard in Ocean Springs some years ago.
I remember going there back in high school! Good times!

Originally Posted by Pumptech View post
Nice selection of bottle finds!
I found a 1920's Orange Crush bottle on the beach last weekend along with a Glory Bottling Company, NY green bottle in the same hole. It was a chance find as I was digging a low signal on my Equinox. I took out about three scoops of sand and they were in the hole about 12" down. Needles to say, they came home with me.
Nice! Thatís how I found most of these. Usually where thereís one thereís a lot more.

__________________
Gear: Garret AT Pro | Garret Pro-Pointer AT | Predator Tools: The Hurricane Shovel
2020: Gold (0) | Silver (6) | V-Nickels (3) | IHP (3) | Buffalos (3) | Wheat Cents (29)
Find of the Year - Confederate Pelican Cuff Button

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 02-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Dirty Nails's Avatar
Dirty Nails Dirty Nails is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 822
Default

So I know nothing about old bottles so I'll ask - are they worth anything? I imagine that old Coca-Cola bottles probably have an audience willing to pay big bucks? Do you often find old bottles while metal detecting? I guess being a life-long East Coaster I've always been accustomed to seeing and finding broken glass.

__________________
Garrett Ace 350, Fisher Sand Scoop
Colossians 3:23 - YTD Clad: $5.95
Significant Finds - '40, '50, '51, '52, '55 & '57 Wheats; 1943 Mercury
24-Year U.S. Air Force Veteran

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 02-06-2020, 11:18 AM
Mistersippi's Avatar
Mistersippi Mistersippi is online now
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ocean Springs, Ms
Posts: 227
Default

Originally Posted by Dirty Nails View post
So I know nothing about old bottles so I'll ask - are they worth anything? I imagine that old Coca-Cola bottles probably have an audience willing to pay big bucks? Do you often find old bottles while metal detecting? I guess being a life-long East Coaster I've always been accustomed to seeing and finding broken glass.
When looking them up I did see some prices online that ranged from $10 to $100. Not sure how accurate all of them were but some are definitely collectible. I know what you mean with the broken glass I live on the gulf coast where we get a lot of hurricanes and usually Iím seeing broken glass but every now and then while detecting Iíll here a slight clunk so Iíll carefully dig my plug and usually if I find one bottle underground there will be a lot around it so Iíll spend some time carefully digging around the hole and extracting the bottles. I want to get a probe so I can probe around these bottle dumps more and find other bottles. My collection has grown tremendously since Iíve started detecting.

__________________
Gear: Garret AT Pro | Garret Pro-Pointer AT | Predator Tools: The Hurricane Shovel
2020: Gold (0) | Silver (6) | V-Nickels (3) | IHP (3) | Buffalos (3) | Wheat Cents (29)
Find of the Year - Confederate Pelican Cuff Button

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 02-06-2020, 01:51 PM
GLASSHOPPER1955's Avatar
GLASSHOPPER1955 GLASSHOPPER1955 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: LaPorte County, Indiana
Posts: 2,786
Default

Originally Posted by Mistersippi View post
(Edit) - Didnít know how to tag you in this so I pulled a quote from the other thread.
That's a slugplate but without seeing it up close I'd date that somewhere between 1915 and the 1920s. To narrow it down look at crudeness and if there are any maker/date codes on the heel or bottom.

Originally Posted by Dirty Nails View post
So I know nothing about old bottles so I'll ask - are they worth anything? I imagine that old Coca-Cola bottles probably have an audience willing to pay big bucks? Do you often find old bottles while metal detecting? I guess being a life-long East Coaster I've always been accustomed to seeing and finding broken glass.
Most run-of-the mill 30s-50s embossed Cokes I sell for $3 to $10. I get the higher $ if they are local to my area. Any dated 1915 or 1923 can get more. Also sometimes I put 'em in the 24-hole Coke crates and sell to those car/gas station collectors.

BTW I just found a 30s era dump which I will be perusing in a few months when it warms up.

__________________
"Digging up the past - one bottle at a time since 1969"

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #14  
Old 02-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Mistersippi's Avatar
Mistersippi Mistersippi is online now
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ocean Springs, Ms
Posts: 227
Default

Originally Posted by Dirty Nails View post
So I know nothing about old bottles so I'll ask - are they worth anything? I imagine that old Coca-Cola bottles probably have an audience willing to pay big bucks? Do you often find old bottles while metal detecting? I guess being a life-long East Coaster I've always been accustomed to seeing and finding broken glass.
Also to add the the broken glass subject. I donít know why but I keep all the old broken glass and pottery I find. Maybe Iíll make something of it one day.

Originally Posted by GLASSHOPPER1955 View post
That's a slugplate but without seeing it up close I'd date that somewhere between 1915 and the 1920s. To narrow it down look at crudeness and if there are any maker/date codes on the heel or bottom.



Most run-of-the mill 30s-50s embossed Cokes I sell for $3 to $10. I get the higher $ if they are local to my area. Any dated 1915 or 1923 can get more. Also sometimes I put 'em in the 24-hole Coke crates and sell to those car/gas station collectors.

BTW I just found a 30s era dump which I will be perusing in a few months when it warms up.
Awesome Glasshopper! Iíll be looking for upcoming post from you. Also do you use a probe? If so what kind do you recommend buying? Or should I attempt to make one? The coke bottles and Barqís are all local as well. Barqís was actually founded in the city I found them in.
Attached Images
 

__________________
Gear: Garret AT Pro | Garret Pro-Pointer AT | Predator Tools: The Hurricane Shovel
2020: Gold (0) | Silver (6) | V-Nickels (3) | IHP (3) | Buffalos (3) | Wheat Cents (29)
Find of the Year - Confederate Pelican Cuff Button

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 02-06-2020, 04:11 PM
GLASSHOPPER1955's Avatar
GLASSHOPPER1955 GLASSHOPPER1955 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: LaPorte County, Indiana
Posts: 2,786
Default

Originally Posted by Mistersippi View post
Also to add the the broken glass subject. I donít know why but I keep all the old broken glass and pottery I find. Maybe Iíll make something of it one day.



Awesome Glasshopper! Iíll be looking for upcoming post from you. Also do you use a probe? If so what kind do you recommend buying? Or should I attempt to make one? The coke bottles and Barqís are all local as well. Barqís was actually founded in the city I found them in.
I made my own probes. Went to a junkyard and got some old trunk torsion rods that held the trunklids up from some old fullsize cars (because they are spring steel) and removed the paint and curly end sections and attached a handle and made a rounded point (not too sharp!). You can buy them online for about $10 a foot also. My "daily driver" probe is about 3.5 ft. but my "serious" digging probes are 4 & 5 ft. Probes must be spring steel or they will bend and you'll be forever trying to straighten them out. I should say you probably may have to find 80s or earlier cars to find these tortion bars (located under the rear window) because they don't do it this way anymore.

Here's a pic of some of mine:
Attached Images
 

__________________
"Digging up the past - one bottle at a time since 1969"

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 02-06-2020, 07:57 PM
Mistersippi's Avatar
Mistersippi Mistersippi is online now
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ocean Springs, Ms
Posts: 227
Default

Originally Posted by GLASSHOPPER1955 View post
I made my own probes. Went to a junkyard and got some old trunk torsion rods that held the trunklids up from some old fullsize cars (because they are spring steel) and removed the paint and curly end sections and attached a handle and made a rounded point (not too sharp!). You can buy them online for about $10 a foot also. My "daily driver" probe is about 3.5 ft. but my "serious" digging probes are 4 & 5 ft. Probes must be spring steel or they will bend and you'll be forever trying to straighten them out. I should say you probably may have to find 80s or earlier cars to find these tortion bars (located under the rear window) because they don't do it this way anymore.

Here's a pic of some of mine:
Thanks Glasshopper Iíll look into that.

__________________
Gear: Garret AT Pro | Garret Pro-Pointer AT | Predator Tools: The Hurricane Shovel
2020: Gold (0) | Silver (6) | V-Nickels (3) | IHP (3) | Buffalos (3) | Wheat Cents (29)
Find of the Year - Confederate Pelican Cuff Button

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.