Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Old 02-05-2020, 06:57 PM

Red face Bottle Dump!

So I came across an underground bottle dump this morning and Iíve been in the midst of cleaning bottles this week so I cleaned up what I had and the new bottles I found the best I could and here is the result.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mistersippi; 02-05-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:13 PM
Elite Member

The brown sioux city sarsparilla is new.
I like the older sodas

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
The brown sioux city sarsparilla is new.
I like the older sodas
Thanks and yeah I just liked the way it looks! Never seen one before!

Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by GLASSHOPPER1955 View post
Hey GLASSHOPPER I was curious if you knew anything about Barqís bottles. The one I found that says Biloxi Artesian Bottle Works is one I canít find to identify age. Iíve found similar ones but none with the B on the top. Wondering if you knew anything of them.
(Edit) - Didnít know how to tag you in this so I pulled a quote from the other thread.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:50 PM
Supporter

Nice moderns, I like the Cokes!

BTW, moderns to me are anything newer than 1920.
100 y.o. moderns!

Old 02-05-2020, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Nice moderns, I like the Cokes!

BTW, moderns to me are anything newer than 1920.
100 y.o. moderns!
Thanks! I donít find to many 19th century bottles that are still in one piece so I take what I get. Haha

Old 02-05-2020, 10:59 PM

Very cool! Also, my band played at the Squeaky Lizard in Ocean Springs some years ago.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:19 PM
Supporter

Nice selection of bottle finds!
I found a 1920's Orange Crush bottle on the beach last weekend along with a Glory Bottling Company, NY green bottle in the same hole. It was a chance find as I was digging a low signal on my Equinox. I took out about three scoops of sand and they were in the hole about 12" down. Needles to say, they came home with me.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:59 PM
Elite Member

Default Bottle Dump!

I like the one that Iím guessing is a syrup bottle? The one with the pour spout.

And the rest of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-06-2020, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jodo_Kast501 View post
Very cool! Also, my band played at the Squeaky Lizard in Ocean Springs some years ago.
I remember going there back in high school! Good times!

Originally Posted by Pumptech View post
Nice selection of bottle finds!
I found a 1920's Orange Crush bottle on the beach last weekend along with a Glory Bottling Company, NY green bottle in the same hole. It was a chance find as I was digging a low signal on my Equinox. I took out about three scoops of sand and they were in the hole about 12" down. Needles to say, they came home with me.
Nice! Thatís how I found most of these. Usually where thereís one thereís a lot more.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Elite Member

So I know nothing about old bottles so I'll ask - are they worth anything? I imagine that old Coca-Cola bottles probably have an audience willing to pay big bucks? Do you often find old bottles while metal detecting? I guess being a life-long East Coaster I've always been accustomed to seeing and finding broken glass.

Colossians 3:23 - YTD Clad: $5.95
Significant Finds - '40, '50, '51, '52, '55 & '57 Wheats; 1943 Mercury
24-Year U.S. Air Force Veteran

Old 02-06-2020, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty Nails View post
So I know nothing about old bottles so I'll ask - are they worth anything? I imagine that old Coca-Cola bottles probably have an audience willing to pay big bucks? Do you often find old bottles while metal detecting? I guess being a life-long East Coaster I've always been accustomed to seeing and finding broken glass.
When looking them up I did see some prices online that ranged from $10 to $100. Not sure how accurate all of them were but some are definitely collectible. I know what you mean with the broken glass I live on the gulf coast where we get a lot of hurricanes and usually Iím seeing broken glass but every now and then while detecting Iíll here a slight clunk so Iíll carefully dig my plug and usually if I find one bottle underground there will be a lot around it so Iíll spend some time carefully digging around the hole and extracting the bottles. I want to get a probe so I can probe around these bottle dumps more and find other bottles. My collection has grown tremendously since Iíve started detecting.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:51 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mistersippi View post
(Edit) - Didnít know how to tag you in this so I pulled a quote from the other thread.
That's a slugplate but without seeing it up close I'd date that somewhere between 1915 and the 1920s. To narrow it down look at crudeness and if there are any maker/date codes on the heel or bottom.

Most run-of-the mill 30s-50s embossed Cokes I sell for $3 to $10. I get the higher $ if they are local to my area. Any dated 1915 or 1923 can get more. Also sometimes I put 'em in the 24-hole Coke crates and sell to those car/gas station collectors.

BTW I just found a 30s era dump which I will be perusing in a few months when it warms up.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:29 PM

Also to add the the broken glass subject. I donít know why but I keep all the old broken glass and pottery I find. Maybe Iíll make something of it one day.

That's a slugplate but without seeing it up close I'd date that somewhere between 1915 and the 1920s. To narrow it down look at crudeness and if there are any maker/date codes on the heel or bottom.

Most run-of-the mill 30s-50s embossed Cokes I sell for $3 to $10. I get the higher $ if they are local to my area. Any dated 1915 or 1923 can get more. Also sometimes I put 'em in the 24-hole Coke crates and sell to those car/gas station collectors.

BTW I just found a 30s era dump which I will be perusing in a few months when it warms up.
Awesome Glasshopper! Iíll be looking for upcoming post from you. Also do you use a probe? If so what kind do you recommend buying? Or should I attempt to make one? The coke bottles and Barqís are all local as well. Barqís was actually founded in the city I found them in.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2020, 04:11 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mistersippi View post
Also to add the the broken glass subject. I donít know why but I keep all the old broken glass and pottery I find. Maybe Iíll make something of it one day.

Awesome Glasshopper! Iíll be looking for upcoming post from you. Also do you use a probe? If so what kind do you recommend buying? Or should I attempt to make one? The coke bottles and Barqís are all local as well. Barqís was actually founded in the city I found them in.
I made my own probes. Went to a junkyard and got some old trunk torsion rods that held the trunklids up from some old fullsize cars (because they are spring steel) and removed the paint and curly end sections and attached a handle and made a rounded point (not too sharp!). You can buy them online for about $10 a foot also. My "daily driver" probe is about 3.5 ft. but my "serious" digging probes are 4 & 5 ft. Probes must be spring steel or they will bend and you'll be forever trying to straighten them out. I should say you probably may have to find 80s or earlier cars to find these tortion bars (located under the rear window) because they don't do it this way anymore.

Here's a pic of some of mine:
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2020, 07:57 PM

I made my own probes. Went to a junkyard and got some old trunk torsion rods that held the trunklids up from some old fullsize cars (because they are spring steel) and removed the paint and curly end sections and attached a handle and made a rounded point (not too sharp!). You can buy them online for about $10 a foot also. My "daily driver" probe is about 3.5 ft. but my "serious" digging probes are 4 & 5 ft. Probes must be spring steel or they will bend and you'll be forever trying to straighten them out. I should say you probably may have to find 80s or earlier cars to find these tortion bars (located under the rear window) because they don't do it this way anymore.

Here's a pic of some of mine:
Thanks Glasshopper Iíll look into that.