Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Old 01-29-2020, 11:09 AM
Elite Member

Default A Civil War-era 'Witch Bottle' may have been found

In this week's eNewsletter from the New England Historical Genealogical Society [NEHGS], in their "Stories of Interest" section, is a link to an article I thought the bottle diggers here might find interesting. Titled "A Civil War-era 'witch bottle' may have been found on a Virginia highway, archaeologists say".

Here is the link to The Roanoke Times article:

Jim

https://www.roanoke.com/news/a-civil...4690befbb.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT E-Series, Garrett Propointer II, Killer Bee Headphones, Wilcox 102 digger

Old 01-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by jimther View post
In this week's eNewsletter from the New England Historical Genealogical Society [NEHGS], in their "Stories of Interest" section, is a link to an article I thought the bottle diggers here might find interesting. Titled "A Civil War-era 'witch bottle' may have been found on a Virginia highway, archaeologists say".

Here is the link to The Roanoke Times article:

Jim

https://www.roanoke.com/news/a-civil...4690befbb.html
Archaeologist = "I found an extremely rare witch bottle...definitely not just a bottle with some rusty nails in it....unless you can prove otherwise!" Puts it in a museum.

Metal Detectorist = "I found this old broken bottle because it had a bunch of rusty nails in it." Dumps out the nails, cleans up the bottle, but eventually throws it away too because it's broken.

Minelab Equinox 800; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Last edited by ToySoldier; 01-29-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:06 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ToySoldier View post
Archaeologist = "I found an extremely rare witch bottle..and definitely not just a bottle with some rusty nails in it....unless you can prove otherwise!" Puts it in a museum.

Metal Detectorist = "I found an old broken bottle because it had a bunch of rusty nails in it that were falsing a silver half dollar signal." Dumps out the nails in the trash, completely clueless that there's a minuscule change of it being rare, cleans up the bottle, but eventually throws it away too because it's broken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT E-Series, Garrett Propointer II, Killer Bee Headphones, Wilcox 102 digger

Old 01-29-2020, 05:38 PM
Elite Member

Looks like your typical mid-1800s squat soda, albeit with some damage.

These that are dug from old privies had more than nails or clippings in them once, trust me.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:53 PM

As mentioned standard squat soda . With that lip damage likely little or more likely no value. What a joke of an article.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:35 PM

That bottle is from my neck of the woods. I've dug a few examples of that bottle from privy pits. It's from the 1870s, civil war bottles from columbia are iron pontiled.