Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Old 01-31-2020, 07:56 PM

Default Best Bottles of 2020 So Far!

Found some decent bottles this past month!

1. Old Moroline Bottle

2. Cobalt Blue Vicks Bottle with Dropper

3. Marvelous Cold Cream by Richard Hudnut

4. E.R. Durkee & Co. (Possibly Salad Dressing) Patented April 17, 1877

5. Gibson Products Co. (Possible Ketchup Bottle)

6. Not sure

7. Woodbury Milk Glass Bottle
Attached Images

Last edited by Mistersippi; 01-31-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:29 PM
Elite Member

Nice glass.

The Moroline was petroleum jelly (vaseline). The cobalt blue tapered one with the stopper was most likely a tincture of some sort, not Vicks. The Marvelous/Hudnut looks to be circa 1920. Amazing that lid is present and in that good of shape. I think Hudnut was around until recently, was very big in the 40s -60s, though it went way back to the late 1800s. Durkee was condiment/spice/extract. The milkglass tiny jar was cold cream similar to Ponds or Noxema (though Noxema came in those nice round cobalt jars women really like). That clear rectangular corker was most likely flavoring extract, among other things.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:53 PM
Supporter

Oh my goodness they cleaned up very nice, swell collection!

Old 01-31-2020, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by GLASSHOPPER1955 View post
Nice glass.

The Moroline was petroleum jelly (vaseline). The cobalt blue tapered one with the stopper was most likely a tincture of some sort, not Vicks. The Marvelous/Hudnut looks to be circa 1920. Amazing that lid is present and in that good of shape. I think Hudnut was around until recently, was very big in the 40s -60s, though it went way back to the late 1800s. Durkee was condiment/spice/extract. The milkglass tiny jar was cold cream similar to Ponds or Noxema (though Noxema came in those nice round cobalt jars women really like). That clear rectangular corker was most likely flavoring extract, among other things.
Awesome Info Glasshopper! Iím reluctant to disagree on the cobalt blue bottle being it says Vicks on the bottom (also has a dripper thing that was attached to the inside with a tiny rusty piece of the cap and is not a stopper) but everything else seems spot on and nice to know! Also I found the Hudnut and Durkee bottles side by side in the woods next to an old early 1800s home. I believe the Durkee dates to 1911 if I remember correctly. Thankyou for taking your time to make a detailed description!

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Oh my goodness they cleaned up very nice, swell collection!
They did amc. Spent the day cleaning them and Iím happy with the turnout! Thanks!

Last edited by Mistersippi; 01-31-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:24 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by williammhatten View post
Awesome Info Glasshopper! Iím reluctant to disagree on the cobalt blue bottle being it says Vicks on the bottom (also has a dripper thing that was attached to the inside with a tiny rusty piece of the cap and is not a stopper) but everything else seems spot on and nice to know! Also I found the Hudnut and Durkee bottles side by side in the woods next to an old early 1800s home. I believe the Durkee dates to 1911 if I remember correctly. Thankyou for taking your time to make a detailed description!

They did amc. Spent the day cleaning them and Iím happy with the turnout! Thanks!
10-4 on the Vicks. That's a new one on me. Still, it's some kind of tincture mix if it has a dropper. I've not dug one like that.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:57 PM

10-4 on the Vicks. That's a new one on me. Still, it's some kind of tincture mix if it has a dropper. I've not dug one like that.
Hereís a couple pics I snapped before work in case you wanna look more into it. Thanks again for the info!
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2020, 02:48 PM
Elite Member

Yeah, nose drops. I may have dug the brown version of these, don't remember any blue ones dug. Below is an ad for Va-Tro-Nol.

That sculptured clear bottle 6th pic down looks like hair oil, judging from the narror hole in the top. Reminds me of a 30s skyscraper.

Were these all surface finds? They cleaned up really nice.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2020, 04:22 PM

Were these all surface finds? They cleaned up really nice.
All were surface finds except the small milk glass jar which was under ground and I found while metal detecting. I want to get a probe because there was a lot of bottles around it as well. I have a bunch of very dirty bottles soaking in bleach water right now that I have found over the last year or so. Iím gonna attempt to clean those up so I may post another thread when I finish with all of those. Hopefully they will turn out as good as these did!

Old 02-01-2020, 06:41 PM

Those are cool. I like old bottles and have found a couple while detecting. Not trying to steal your thread. Seeing as you like bottles, you may like it.

Found this one a week or so ago. A button set off the detector and I found this when I dug it up. Its a Glovers Imperial Mange Medicine bottle.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Supporter

Vics Vapo Rub on the chest. Kids. And the hot water bag. Who remembers that? I do.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:05 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by TNTGross View post
Those are cool. I like old bottles and have found a couple while detecting. Not trying to steal your thread. Seeing as you like bottles, you may like it.

Found this one a week or so ago. A button set off the detector and I found this when I dug it up. Its a Glovers Imperial Mange Medicine bottle.
I have that one, one of my first dump finds about 1974. I was 12. Mine was screw top tho, not cork.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

We found a half-full bottle of the Glover's Mange Med once in an old house and I can tell you it smells JUST LIKE McDonald's McRib sandwich! I kid you not!

BTW an old timer once told me they also used to put used motor oil on animals with mange.

Here's my Glover's bottle:
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2020, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by TNTGross View post

Oh your good to post whatever you like! Nice bottle by the way Iím gonna look it up as Iíve never heard of that one.

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Vics Vapo Rub on the chest. Kids. And the hot water bag. Who remembers that? I do.
I definitely remember that. My mom use to do it to me when I was young and still sometimes find myself putting on some Vickís vapor rub on my chest/neck and hopping in a warm shower when sick!

We found a half-full bottle of the Glover's Mange Med once in an old house and I can tell you it smells JUST LIKE McDonald's McRib sandwich! I kid you not!

BTW an old timer once told me they also used to put used motor oil on animals with mange.

Here's my Glover's bottle:
Haha thatís an interesting fact to know!