Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 01-24-2020, 01:10 PM
Elite Member

Default More on overcoming a "No"

When I clicked on the Google home page today to look something up, one of the "Popular Topics" they had links to caught my eye. It was about how philosopher, Blaise Pascal wrote about overcoming resistance and getting someone to change their mind. The article is titled: "To Tell Someone They're Wrong, First Tell Them They're Right".

Link to the article: [Just noticed the page displays fine in some browsers, but not in Internet Explorer11]
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/a...=pocket-newtab

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT E-Series, Garrett Propointer II, Killer Bee Headphones, Wilcox 102 digger

Last edited by jimther; 01-24-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Elite Member

I've heard of this before, but never practiced it.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:11 PM
Supporter

Basically, find out the root causes of their concerns, acknowledge them, and then address them one by one. Your concern is that I'm going to leave holes in the yard? I wouldn't like that either! But, that's not what I do. Let me show you a photo of a yard after I've detected it. Or, how about I show you how I recover an object, and then you can decide.

I heard an interesting radio program during the holidays on a similar topic. They said families would have far more productive Thanksgiving conversations if the members acknowledged each other's beliefs by focusing on WHY they have them rather than arguing which one is correct, or what laws/norms should or shouldn't exist because of them. The ground rule for the conversation is to understand and appreciate why others have different beliefs, and not to argue that everybody should believe the same thing. You're not going to solve the death penalty question at the dinner table, and you're NOT very likely to change anyone's mind, but you do have a chance to better understanding why your family members believe what they do.

Minelab Equinox 800; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Last edited by ToySoldier; 01-31-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:12 PM

I like that. I'll have to try that strategy. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:41 PM
Supporter

I am trying to be a better listener as of late and these are all good points that apply to it as well.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:04 PM
Elite Member

You have to get them to like you and familiar with you before you pop the question. Like, nice looking home you got there, how long have you lived in it, do you live around here, etc.? Wow! I moved to Memphis back in so and so, things sure have changed. Try to find something in common with them to talk about. If you're out detecting, turn off your detector and remove your headphones if you see someone who has an interest in what you're doing. Show them how you cut plugs and leave no damage. Spend some time explaining your hobby to them and why you enjoy doing it. If they like you, they'll most likely let you detect their property. It's not rocket science to get permission to detect property.

beephead

Old 01-31-2020, 09:27 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by beephead View post
You have to get them to like you and familiar with you before you pop the question. Like, nice looking home you got there, how long have you lived in it, do you live around here, etc.? Wow! I moved to Memphis back in so and so, things sure have changed. Try to find something in common with them to talk about. If you're out detecting, turn off your detector and remove your headphones if you see someone who has an interest in what you're doing. Show them how you cut plugs and leave no damage. Spend some time explaining your hobby to them and why you enjoy doing it. If they like you, they'll most likely let you detect their property. It's not rocket science to get permission to detect property.

beephead
Great advice up there.

Minelab Equinox 800; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Old 02-01-2020, 02:33 AM
Elite Member

All you have to do is pretend they said yes, When they say no you say.... Ah, thanks so much, walk back to your vehicle and gear up and start detecting.
When they come out to confront you, simply pull out a 1942 merc from your pocket show it to them and proclaim, This is the first find of the day and continue to hunt.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:00 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Bajanick View post
All you have to do is pretend they said yes, When they say no you say.... Ah, thanks so much, walk back to your vehicle and gear up and start detecting.
When they come out to confront you, simply pull out a 1942 merc from your pocket show it to them and proclaim, This is the first find of the day and continue to hunt.
Sir thank you so much for explaining it so clearly to me. I thought everything 'beyond' the 'NO Trespassing' sign was off-limits, not what was in 'front' of it. lol Then ask for permission to detect the entire property. lol The only thing you have to worry about is getting shot or them turning the pit-bulls loose on you.

beephead

1 members found this post helpful.