• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

coil cover / bed liner

Thanks for that video BOB, that looks great:waytogo: if you wouldn't have told me i didn't even think ya sprayed the coil yet, very nice job:yes:

I did use the bed liner on my scoop handles which were aluminum, and it stopped my hands from turning black. It works great for that. Never thought of using it on the coils but I will now because it worked for the handles. It does not chip or scrape off, But I guess that depends on how hard ya try to chip it off,lol.

I did use the bed liner on my scoop handles which were aluminum, and it stopped my hands from turning black. It works great for that. Never thought of using it on the coils but I will now because it worked for the handles. It does not chip or scrape off, But I guess that depends on how hard ya try to chip it off,lol.

thats also a great idea, i'll spray that too while i'm at it:yes:

Awesome. Thanks for the video posts! I put a CC on my 8'' Tesoro coil but I caulked the edges. It was loose when I put it on so it should be pretty easy to get off. I may do the bed liner next time though.

Call me old, or naive, or foolish - I'm certainly all three. But, if coated coils were such a hot setup, one or more of the major manufacturers would either have offered a coated coil or made it standard. None to my knowledge have done so. However, all of the major manufacturers offer covers either standard with the coil or optional.

I think, personally, I'll spend the extra 5 - 10 minutes at the end of a long day cleaning my coil and it's pita cover; as opposed to damaging the coil and having to spend $150 and up for a new one.

Just one guy's opinion.

Dave

if coated coils were such a hot setup, one or more of the major manufacturers would either have offered a coated coil or made it standard. None to my knowledge have done so. However, all of the major manufacturers offer covers either standard with the coil or optional.

it might be possible that they prefer to stick with their advertised "depth" capabilities of their machines. adding an accessory (cover) or a more permanent form of protection (like the bedliner) will only make the slightest of differences but they're probably trying to sell their machines on the basis of being the one that scans the deepest.
take almost any of us out there buying a new machine.... we would likely look for depth as a better selling feature rather than if it has a cover or not.

Pete

Just some thoughts on this ongoing issue...I just realized that I have not seen any posts by anyone that has gotten their coil ruined with average use without bed liner, plastic tool dip or covers. Maybe the coils are already tough enough? Anyway, I have 3 coils and put bed liner on one and plastic tool dip on the other. I am sure that it doesn't affect them and is just insurance. I love the bed liner coating better cause its professional looking and fills in all the scratches, but the fumes are powerful. The plastic dip is not even and does not stink. They both help protect them. BUT ITS is WINTER so I have to wait!!!!!. Also one should be aware if these modifications will void any guarantees. Just some thoughts. :neutral:

Call me old, or naive, or foolish - I'm certainly all three. But, if coated coils were such a hot setup, one or more of the major manufacturers would either have offered a coated coil or made it standard. None to my knowledge have done so. However, all of the major manufacturers offer covers either standard with the coil or optional.

I think, personally, I'll spend the extra 5 - 10 minutes at the end of a long day cleaning my coil and it's pita cover; as opposed to damaging the coil and having to spend $150 and up for a new one.

Just one guy's opinion.

Dave

Why Garrett leaves the low end coils with an unfinished look is not so hard to understand in todays business world. The coil cover they sell you for 20 bucks is actually costing them 25 cents from an injection molder in China. To offer it as an accessory rather than make it standard issue makes excellent profit margin. I don't go as far as to say Garrett has a sinister plan to leave the buyer open to damage by offering the choice to cover or not to cover, I just see where they are coming from business wise.

There are those who don't mind playing this game and some who will get creative if for no other reason then to lay claim to ownership of a new toy. Human nature is to personalize and individualize our cookie cutter world generally speaking. Dave, you like to take no chances and keep your classic car stock... thats cool ;) I recognize the personality and if it was a classic car i would apply your mindset, however the cost of failure here is low and the tested results are at my own peril with a disclaimer to all those viewing.

Today I will put the coil through basic use to see if it behaves any differently than yesterday and i can do this in a Video as well because i need to know too.

bob

Thanks for watching the vid's.
Last video on the topic and i will leave it to you guys with the same stock units to tell me if there is any less performance for the mod.

In conclusion I did pay the 20 bucks for the weather resistant hood accessory for the Garrett ACE. I'll take the hood to understate the units bling :roll:

sooooo.... what else can we do to kill some time this winter?

I continue to see reticence to the coating process. Let me say this..
1- There is no effect on performance
2- Coil covers are an accessory that makes profit for the company
3- With no protection, and use in rough terrain, coils will wear or becomd scored/damaged. Bedliner prevents this.
4- There are no downsides to this process.
RickO

how about some duribility tests, maybe wack it against some rocks :shock::lol:

i also picked up some bedliner spray today and will be coating all my coils

how about some duribility tests, maybe wack it against some rocks :shock::lol:

i also picked up some bedliner spray today and will be coating all my coils

It would seem the rock test will result in me not having a coil, however one might be a good sport and use yours for the durability test... :newhere:

Back
Top Bottom