• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nokta/Makro SMF (My Prediction)

It took minelab a long time to catch up or pass Garrett , any way you want to word it. It's not like minelab has always had the better machine, heck they only had fbs and Xterra, which as much as I like the Xterra it's nowhere near as good as the At pro. Minelab really had nothing to compete with the at pro for at least 10 years..
I know alot of guys are blinded by a few finds here and there,and I get it so no offense from me. But Garrett is still a dominating force in this hobbie,and don't look like they're going anywhere soon, buying other companies out,etc.

That's true, but as of late, how much of that "dominating force" is due to innovation and how much of that is due to very effective marketing?

I'm not criticizing or attacking Garrett, as "business is business" and if "sponsoring" Youtube channels gets you sales, go for it! But I think we need to recognize where Garrett's current strength lies.

But they produced awesome products like the AT Pro. I'm confident they'll come out with something comparably groundbreaking soon enough.

It took minelab a long time to catch up or pass Garrett , any way you want to word it. It's not like minelab has always had the better machine, heck they only had fbs and Xterra, which as much as I like the Xterra it's nowhere near as good as the At pro. Minelab really had nothing to compete with the at pro for at least 10 years..
I know alot of guys are blinded by a few finds here and there,and I get it so no offense from me. But Garrett is still a dominating force in this hobbie,and don't look like they're going anywhere soon, buying other companies out,etc.

Hi Woody.

Garrett is still very much in the game. In spite of the notion that Garrett somehow failed with their Apex, since it isn't an Equinox slayer - not that Garrett positioned it as such, they managed to build a very competent machine and will likely sell a bunch of them. I know I am very pleased with my Apex.

In some ways all machines (no matter the cost) compete with each other (in the sense that all are competing for the customer's money). Since the Equinox was first offered I have purchased 6 machines. With 1 exception I gave a lot of consideration to the Equinox (both the 600 and the 800) and ended up purchasing a different brand - because I believed that the machine purchased would be a better fit for my needs/whims.

The one purchase where I did not consider an Equinox was the Vanquish 440 - that machine was for my wife and she wanted it because she likes the way it looks and I had recommended it as a machine she should consider. (She wanted a machine that is simple to operate and easy to learn)

I'm happy that she is happy with the Vanquish. I (personally) believe the Apex is a better machine.

I am looking forward to Garrett's presumed AT smf machine.

I am likewise looking forward to Nokta/Makro's new smf machine. I suspect it will prove to be worthy of the expectations. If it is, I will buy one.

IF Nokta Makro does pull up a simplex on steroids (The simplex is already on them) with SMF, that just might get the market on another "trend", just like the NOX, E-trac, and etc. One thing to note. Nokta Makro has an ace up its sleeve, and that's customer service. I actually broke the lower rod on my simplex once, and they replaced it in a snap. They have a card they only have (exception of Garrett) and they should play it well.

I wonder what the name would be.

Josh

I will say the NOX is the best, for the price, on the market right now.

Very important words here, FOR THE PRICE. I would put the EQ 600 in that sentence, the 800 is overpriced IMO. Most will get the 800 and never even utilize the added features, and the ergonomics are mediocre at best. I bought a 600, and after all the necessary accessories, I'm over the price of an 800. I havent come anywhere close to using all the features on the 600, and I've been using it for a few years now. I'm definitely interested in the nokta/makro SMF. Their last release was a pretty solid machine for the money, not quite my cup of tea though. If it can keep up with the nox and its built like a simplex, which is MUCH more ergonomically friendly, I'd absolutely grab one. I always wait to purchase, I never have pre ordered a machine. Usually you find many users who simply dont like a machine, and you can get close to new ones right after release for a little bit less money. Not to mention, it gives the consumers time to identify any bugs. Ill be watching :lol: Just my 2 cents!

Unless there is a breakthrough in technology these current models featuring SMF will be the Kings of the mountain for a very long time.

The depth of detectors has been at a standstill for decades.
The recovery speed of detectors has seen a vast improvement the last decade with the Deus and few models from Nokta/Makro. Throw the Equinox in there too. But the limit seems to have been reached.
Target ID? The ability to tell the ID of a target before you dig it has gotten better, but we all still dig iron especially bent nails. Is it a coin near iron or just iron? Dig it and find out.

What Nokta is about to do is obsolete all their prior models. For a few hundred dollars more get a detector that can do it all. Minelab did it with the Equinox, and the CTX, ETrac, and Explorer users jumped on board as well.

Get an Equinox, or this new Nokta/Makro unit. Throw in a future release from Garrett and the end user will have three models to choose from. I exclude the French because the Deus can't do it all. Not a salt water beach. Not water. I exclude First Texas because they seem to be stuck in the mud with anything new.

Bells and whistles? People with money to spend will spend it on audio and screen features. But in the end the questions are always....Does it find more targets? Does it keep me from digging more holes that contain junk?

Unless there is a breakthrough in technology these current models featuring SMF will be the Kings of the mountain for a very long time.

The depth of detectors has been at a standstill for decades.
The recovery speed of detectors has seen a vast improvement the last decade with the Deus and few models from Nokta/Makro. Throw the Equinox in there too. But the limit seems to have been reached.
Target ID? The ability to tell the ID of a target before you dig it has gotten better, but we all still dig iron especially bent nails. Is it a coin near iron or just iron? Dig it and find out.

What Nokta is about to do is obsolete all their prior models. For a few hundred dollars more get a detector that can do it all. Minelab did it with the Equinox, and the CTX, ETrac, and Explorer users jumped on board as well.

Get an Equinox, or this new Nokta/Makro unit. Throw in a future release from Garrett and the end user will have three models to choose from. I exclude the French because the Deus can't do it all. Not a salt water beach. Not water. I exclude First Texas because they seem to be stuck in the mud with anything new.

Bells and whistles? People with money to spend will spend it on audio and screen features. But in the end the questions are always....Does it find more targets? Does it keep me from digging more holes that contain junk?

Translation: "Performance is everything."

What has Garrett released ever since Nokta-Makro
released their original Racer?
How about First Texas?
We know Minelab are still pumping out new models,
however what has happened to the manufacturers in
the US?

History has been made.
Notice?

Seems for the first time an actual member (in this case a marketing rep) from a detector manufacturer admits publically in so many words their current units inferior and or not as popular to another manufacturer’s model(s) units. Is this a bad thing? Nope.

So, all we need to do now is sit back and see what is produced by Nokta-Makro.
Minelab set the bar, no question.

Let’s see if Nokta- Makro can clear.

One thing worth noting and I don’t know if this has any bearing on just how successful or how well their new unit SMF unit will perform. And this not talked about as much as it should have .... their single freq units based on tests and reporting in salt water seem to be cream of the crop vs other manufacturers’ single freq units.

It should also be pointed out Nokta- Makro it seems moved into the world of waterproof detector models it seems with ease. Few reports of waterlogged detectors.

In the end with all the competition.
Seems about most will be able to afford a multi-freq detector to use.

Let’s not forget Minelab was a nobody back when.
Look where they are now.

Nokta-Makro has made huge strides and they could in fact be at the front of the pack with time.

We saw White’s demise, Tesoro too.
These demises caused in part by Nokta-Makro.
This is the truth - like it or not.

Last edited:
After watching several interviews, I have made the inference they are targeting the NOX's. I think it is good to set your sights high for sure. After another companies foray into SMF, which if I am being honest, was not quite the machine i was hoping for, I am going to take the skeptical stance on this one.

I think we have to keep in mind the head start Minelab has on everyone trying to make a SMF machine and not set expectations that it will not only compete but maybe even be better than Multi-IQ.

My guess, it's much better than the disappointing one recently released here in the US, but probably not as good as the NOX's. Not going to pre order this machine like I usually do, going to take the wait and see approach.

I am pulling for Nokta/Makro team and their success though!

amazing to me that the domestic manufacturers dropped the ball on this one!
having one's head up their ass is NOT conducive to gaining market share.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Performance is everything. Very well summed up. But then some of us have been waiting for these detectors for decades. Since the days of stuffing a Sovereign in a box.

Now we need them to perform. Not leak. Not weigh a ton. And to be affordable.

One thing is for sure. The days of slapping a new sticker on an old model seem to be over. A good time for the hobby.

Garrett obviously wants to be a "player" in s.m.f.
the 'turks" are in it to win it! I suspect minelab has circuits
in "skunk works" to attempt to stay ahead of competition.
should bode well for the future.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Also N/M has come out with machines that are mid range or better at entry level prices . So if the new multi is anywhere as good as the nox but at a lower price point , well that just puts another feather in their hats and another win for us the consumers and more pressure on the other manufacturers.

I believe the nox will have more frequencies though. The last update they added 4khz. That being said I would purchase a nm smf after released potentially

Also N/M has come out with machines that are mid range or better at entry level prices . So if the new multi is anywhere as good as the nox but at a lower price point , well that just puts another feather in their hats and another win for us the consumers and more pressure on the other manufacturers.

to be blunt, a "marketing game changer!" however, I wouldn't bet against the
Aussies developing "new circuits" to better the competition,AND keep their "high
price points" intact!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I see a lot of beach hunters with flooded NOX's lately and they are out of warranty.
I am now nervous to dunk mine in the water this year because I am also out of warranty.
So NOKTA could be hitting at the right time if it doesn't leak and can HUNT like the NOX does.
Minelab should extend the warranty on the NOX before the NOKTA damage sets in.

What put Minelab in front was BBS it just took awhile for people to learn how to use it.

Apex wasn't made to compete with the Nox. It has also been a very good Detector for the people who have learned the detector. It's been very good on the beach too and has more settings than the Vanquish.

I still think Garrett did it correctly by trying out a cheaper detector instead of trying to create an Apex Max.

One thing for sure about the new N/M SMF. It will be a better build quality than the Nox.
I can't seem to give away my brand new apex with extra coil. So if you could please let all these folks who love Garrett/Apex know about it I would appreciate it. I have it on every forum and ebay and have zero interest even for $200 less than what I just paid for it. At this point I would probably trade it for a couple of garrett carrots. I might just give it away on my YouTube channel as well.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I can't seem to give away my brand new apex with extra coil. So if you could please let all these folks who love Garrett/Apex know about it I would appreciate it. I have it on every forum and ebay and have zero interest even for $200 less than what I just paid for it. At this point I would probably trade it for a couple of garrett carrots. I might just give it away on my YouTube channel as well.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Are you being serious or being facetious? I ask b/c I have 2 Garrett Carrots...

Back
Top Bottom