Makro Anfibio Multi or Equinox 800?

Fishpigeon

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new detector after selling my ancient Minelab Explorer XS. Trying to decide between the Makro Anfibio Multi and the Nox 800. Same price, both waterproof (which I need), and I've been hearing good things about both. I need an all-around detector for parks, creeks, abandoned homesteads, the beach, and anything else that looks interesting. Help me decide.

I hope someone responds to your post, as I am in the same boat as you. I have not sold my XS, and probably won't, but I am certainly interested in both of the machines you mentioned.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new detector after selling my ancient Minelab Explorer XS. Trying to decide between the Makro Anfibio Multi and the Nox 800. Same price, both waterproof (which I need), and I've been hearing good things about both. I need an all-around detector for parks, creeks, abandoned homesteads, the beach, and anything else that looks interesting. Help me decide.

Both are great deteectors.
Both easy to set up to run.
Anfibio weighs more than Nox.
Anfibio has more coil selection.
Equinox handles higher mineral ground better.
Audio on both is nice.
Both have adjustable backlights.
Heavier iron Anfibio a better choice.
Emi handling advantage goes to Nox.
Warranty period advantage Nox.
Wireless headphones on both I rate a tie.
Both are updatable.
Anfibio has wider ID reporting scale.
Both have built in rechargeable batteries in detector as well as wireless headphones.
Build quality Anfibio by a mile.
Both save settings.
Anfibio has true all metal vs Nox-doesn’t.
Additional coils cheaper for Anfibio vs Nox.
Anfibio balances better with stock coil. Although like .i said Nox is lighter overall.
In an old house site, which one would I give advantage? Neither.
In the hands of skilled/experienced with each detector both can find the goods.

This is all this excellent info! One other thing: I plan on doing a lot of detecting by mountain bike (multiple days per week), so I would prefer one that folds/collapses easily into the smallest size possible to fit into my bikepacking bags. I don't mind if it sticks out six inches to a foot, but I wouldn't want three feet of metal detector sticking out. Would either of these fall into that description? Breaking down my old Minelab was not easy at all, so I had to rig a totally awkward setup with velcro straps from the back rack along the top tube. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.

This is all this excellent info! One other thing: I plan on doing a lot of detecting by mountain bike (multiple days per week), so I would prefer one that folds/collapses easily into the smallest size possible to fit into my bikepacking bags. I don't mind if it sticks out six inches to a foot, but I wouldn't want three feet of metal detector sticking out. Would either of these fall into that description? Breaking down my old Minelab was not easy at all, so I had to rig a totally awkward setup with velcro straps from the back rack along the top tube. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.

Standby for a pic with both models broken down side by side.

Here’s pic both multi Anfibio and Nox 800.
Both detectors wearing small coils.
Monitor of Anfibio is bigger than Nox.
Lower rod of Nox is longer than any Anfibio component when broken down.
With coils removed both detectors and broken down. Longest section ismlower rod of Equinox. It measures 24 1/8” long.
2vjd1g1.jpg

Wow, this is awesome. It looks like there isn't a huge difference between them, then. This is going to be a tough decision. Thanks for all of this!

Hey tnsharpshooter. Thanks for the info on these two machines. It sounds like they are both great detectors, and pretty even in comparison. That being the case, it would seem the smart thing to do would be to buy the one that costs less money. From the prices I see, that would make the Anfibio a better buy.

Hey tnsharpshooter. Thanks for the info on these two machines. It sounds like they are both great detectors, and pretty even in comparison. That being the case, it would seem the smart thing to do would be to buy the one that costs less money. From the prices I see, that would make the Anfibio a better buy.

Whatever you decide.
I share the info as far as both detectors models go.
Up to the person to buy whatever.
Each model has advantages vs the other detector and Vice versa.

Would you say that the Anfibio will pick up every target that my Explorer XS hits if both are using stock coils?
Would you say that the Equinox 800 will pick up every target that my Explorer XS hits if both are using stock coils?
I just want to feel confident that either of these machines will hit at least as much, or hopefully more targets than my XS. Thanks for your input!!!

Would you say that the Anfibio will pick up every target that my Explorer XS hits if both are using stock coils?
Would you say that the Equinox 800 will pick up every target that my Explorer XS hits if both are using stock coils?
I just want to feel confident that either of these machines will hit at least as much, or hopefully more targets than my XS. Thanks for your input!!!

Can’t say.
I have XS Explorer too.

Lots of variables.
Size, shape of target.
Ground mineral levels.
Conductivity level of target.
Emi possible in area and how does it affect xxx detector.
Ferrous materials in and around nonferrous. (Loads of combinations/possibilities here.
Nonferrous junk materials in and around good nonferrous target like say coins.
Coil sized used.

I don’t think you will find anyone here who could answer your question with a YES to all.

One reason I have multiple detectors to run on certain sites.

Things to consider

ML - 3 yr. Warrenty, Macro only 2 , Equinox 800 has the ability to run all its frequincies at one time - a true multi machine , were manufactures try to cheet, saying there machine is a multi , but the fact is you might have 3 Frequincies to choose from , but only 1 at a time , not all at once, happy hunting, Earl

The nox is very good in saltwater, haven’t seen many videos of the Anfibio in saltwater but watched one that was saying it had some problems with it. I have a 600 and think it’s a very good machine especially with a 6in coil, except that it has a problem with our Canadian clad, I understand the Anfibio does well with it. I hear rumours of a true multi coming from Nokta next year, hmmm!😁

The nox is very good in saltwater, haven’t seen many videos of the Anfibio in saltwater but watched one that was saying it had some problems with it. I have a 600 and think it’s a very good machine especially with a 6in coil, except that it has a problem with our Canadian clad, I understand the Anfibio does well with it. I hear rumours of a true multi coming from Nokta next year, hmmm!😁

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RNfviMdto5c

Going to be interesting watching these two fight it out. I've got my Nox and probably won't switch, but I am interested in how these go head to head with experienced users.

BCD

Ok,here’s the million dollar question..who on here owns a spectrum analyzer,that can give the only honest answer that the equinox is indeed running 3 frequencies at once?
Funny thing is I read some posts after the equinox was released saying the Etrac,supposedly running 28 frequencies is actually only running one or two frequencies..Same people claim the nox 600 with only 3 frequencies is actually running all 3 at once..So,either Minelab has released some information to users that none of us are aware of or someone has a spectrum analyzer..Please do tell
For what it’s worth,full band spectrum isn’t just in metal detectors,it’s used in a lot of electronics,even your cable box uses full band spectrum to troubleshoot.
Simultaneously running frequencies have been in machines for a long time,so we’re told.Cz3d,v3i,Dfx,etc..But has anyone ever actually checked into it,run a test with the right equipment?
I like the equinox,and every other machine I’ve used.This new Makro looks interesting but a heavy machine.Id hafto say without running the Makro I’d still pick the equinox over the weight alone.

Last edited:
It is well known that the Anfibio will be out dated sometime in the future by a true multi frequency detector. While I'm sure it is a fine detector just like all the rest of their product line you just have to ask yourself if investing in it is worth while.

Minelab? Maybe another Equinox version. More bells and whistles would be my guess.

Back
Top Bottom