Nox 800 Vs. XP Deus

luked

been looking to get a new machine for a while but keep the Tek Omega 8000 I have.
the two I am more looking at now I think are the Nox 800 and the Deus.

I don't know a lot about either of these.
my main thing to hunt is coins but might have a few civil war relic hunts mixed in as our area is pretty big for some of that.

the thing I am unsure of on the Deus is which one to get. they have a ton of different options and man they get expensive. so I'm really a little unsure on it but from reading the Deus is a great machine.

I will also say I had an Etrac years ago but I didn't have the machine long enough to really get used to it. had to sell it due to some family issues at the time. The Omega I have now works well and I'm pretty good with it and have found a pretty fair share of coins with it but would like to move up to a little higher quality machine. and Winter time is the best time to save for one. and I have nothing else to do

so give me some opinions fellas on what you would suggest and why

I had both (sold the Nox) and preferred the Deus. I was using the 11" LF coil at the time. The vdi was all over the place on the Nox (at the time). That could have been improved with an update but I am not sure. Both are great machines though. Build quality would go to the Nox for sure. The Deus feels cheap in hand sometimes.

Make sure you take a look at the Anfibio multi as well. This thing is giving my Deus x35 (13") a serious run for it's money. It is really a fun machine and really well built. Sort of reminds me of a CTX.

Both fitted with 11” coils feel similar,,both a tad nose heavy,

For select digging go Nox.
For carpet of nails hunting go Deus (dig all nonferrous goal).

Emi go Nox.

Cost go Equinox.

Equinox 800 deeper than 600 unit due to 800 unit having prospecting modes.

Deus can be bought cheaper via Deus lite. This setup will have some disadvantages with settings run in the field though.

External speaker hunting go Nox.

Build quality go Deus.

Rod adjustment for presice length go Deus.

Easiest to learn go Nox.

Menu go Nox.

Salt water hunting go Nox.

Warranty go Deus.

Higher mineral soil go Nox.

Screen viewing go Nox.

Coil selection more or less a tie though Minelab offers smaller coil for Nox.

Both are very good.
See my signature line. And neither are going anywhere soon.

Good luck.

the thing I am unsure of on the Deus is which one to get. they have a ton of different options and man they get expensive. so I'm really a little unsure on it but from reading the Deus is a great machine.

The difference would be the choice of remote, headphones and coil. You can get a basic setup with no remote (Deus LITE). The settings are adjusted via the headphone puck. Next up would be the Deus with remote and wired headphones. Next would be the full Deus setup with remote AND wireless headphones. Other than that it comes down to the coils.

As for everything else, I'll echo what TNSS said.

For older sites full of iron I like the Deus. For hunting sites that have modern trash mixed in I prefer the Nox.

Build quality I'd give to the Deus.

Nox is easier to learn IMHO.

For coin shooting AND relic hunting I'd lean toward the Equinox. Relics only, Deus. Coinshooting only, I'd skip both and go for a CTX.

Nothing against the equinox,but if I were looking at these two machines I’d take the deus hands down.Just my personal preference of the two,both are performers.
But the deus is so light it’s like swinging nothing at all.And the instant fold abilities make it a must have to take anywhere.The deus can be a sparky little beast in modern trash but when you hit a coin it’s in your face,no mistaking it.Used prices of deus are insane,with warranty..That’s the route I’d go
Seeming your going to keep the omegga It’s just another reason I think to go deus.I have the f5 which is pretty much a omegga,and it’s a excellent coin getter.Deus could be your coin,relic or jewlery machine just to mix it up.

Hi,
I have both. I know the Nox 800 really well. Just learning the basics on the Deus. I can echo Tnsharpshooter's assessment with these additions.

Both are very customizable, but the Nox 800 has only one open slot for custom programs, Deus has ten.

The Deus has a backlight. The Nox 800 has a great adjustable backlight.

If you have okay to good eyesight the Deus control box remote is very usable. The Deus WS4 back headphone remote is pretty hard to read and has limited information. If you go with the Deus Lite keep that in mind. The Nox display is huge and easy to read and understand.

The Nox 800 has at least two frequencies in use in each detecting program unless you switch to your choice of five single frequencies for operation. The Deus operates in only one frequency at a time but can be switched to many more different ones than the Nox 800. However, the simultaneous multi frequencies of the Nox 800 are a serious game changer as far as overall depth and target detection information in my opinion.

As said earlier, in high mineralization the Nox 800 wins hands down even at half sensitivity gain. I live in an area with extremely high mineralization and only three of the ten installed programs on the Deus can approach the depth of the Nox 800. One of those three on the Deus - Goldfield, is closer to a true threshold based all metal mode than Gold 1 and Gold 2 on the Nox 800 but so far the Nox 800 is a little deeper (even with the 6" coil) on small gold targets than the Deus in Goldfield with either 9" HF coil even at higher single frequencies than the Nox 800 running in multi frequencies.

Both my Nox 800 and 600 have shaft wobble issues and the large hand grip is pretty tough on medium and small hands fatigue wise. It is also quite nose heavy using the 11" and 15" coils. It is pretty rugged and can take some abuse. The Deus is a wonderful detector to hold and to swing, period, and has held up well so far except for.........

My Deus WS4 back headphones are not very comfortable and look like they could easily break which has been reported often by others. The wireless headphones supplied with the Nox 800 are very comfortable and problem free so far.

Unlike an earlier poster, I have not noticed a lot of jumpy target ID numbers on the Nox 800 but I use at most, 5 tones not full tones and I have them pitched to my liking and have set the V-breaks so they match US coins and jewelry well. The only time I get jumpy numbers are over large, multi surfaced can slaw, rusty iron or tin, over bottle caps that are in various states of decay, and over multiple closely packed targets of different conductivity like my favorite - coin spills! If I hear a multitude of different pitches during a sweep I can almost bet on a trash target.

Changing to higher frequencies on the Deus causes fairly substantial upscaling of the target ID numbers. That is annoying especially on the High Frequency coils whether you hunt using the control box display or just by ear using multiple tones. I haven't used an X35 coil yet. Otherwise, the Deus locks on to good targets very well.

Both have an incredible array of adjustable features and are fantastic detectors.

Jeff

Last edited:
I have and use both the Deus and the 800. I primarily hunt the beach and have found great items with both.
If you need the lightest detector go with the Deus.
If you’ll be water hunting go with the Equinox.

Hi Beachhunter,

i can't believe I forgot to include the waterproof differences of the Nox 800 and the XP Deus. If I was going to constantly need a water detector I would definitely go with the Nox 800 too.

There is a semi-waterproofing option for the Deus. It is a kit that costs around $60. If you occasionally use the Deus in beach surf or shallow fresh water it would do well. It works, but I wouldn't want to have to put it on and take it off repeatedly. Just my opinion......

Had both and both are great.

I liked the Deus over the 800 when I had the oval HF coil on my Deus. With the stock 11" LF coil it was a tossup.

I felt the 800 was easier for coin shooting.

Deus worked better when relic hunting.

I tested some of my toughest gold on both and both did great. I couldn't really say one was better than the other. Of course that was with the Oval HF coil on the Deus.

The Equinox 600 is a great detector especially if you are not going to do any gold prospecting. It can handle any beach environment just as well as the Nox 800. You can buy a set of bluetooth low latency wireless headphones or ear buds for less than $40. The Nox waterproof underwater headphones are an extra expense for both detectors. The wired headphones that come with the Nox 600 suck!!!!!

Then again, since you are an experienced detector user you might really prefer the advanced features on the Nox 800. The User Profile customizable mode slot is very handy and the other advanced features are really good for adjusting V breaks, individual tone volumes, tone pitches and for using a wider range of recovery speeds and iron bias. I pretty much know exactly what is under my coil by listening to the audio response if it is 7" or less in depth and a good target when using the 800 because I set the tones and V breaks up for the targets that I am after without having to notch out anything or use much discrimination. You just don't have the freedom to do all of that with the 600 and you get a fairly good threshold based mixed mode all metal with the gold modes for relic hunting that gives you actual target IDs and VCO tone.

Back
Top Bottom