Last hunt of the year nets a few cents and a ring

pryan67

Forum Supporter
We went to a local beach today, figuring that the sand would be easy to dig in, at least easier than the dirt. We were wrong...the first three inches or so of sand was fine, the rest was solid ice...but I managed to find this:

not precious metal, but precious to me. We were glad to get out hunting one more time.

Attachments

• IMG_1199-2.jpg
    IMG_1199-2.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 276
VERY Cool ring !!

Damn it gets Cold here too.. I mean like 27 degrees on a Saturday morning but fortunately the ground doesn't seem to freeze in fact winter spring the Ground is at it's softest.. it is Summer when it gets hard as a rock.

Fortunately we can hunt year round.

frozen ground

I live in northern Illinois too and we have had several days in a row of temps in the 40's. I went out yesterday and managed to dig 2 pennies and 2 quarters then gave it up. Even under the leaves and pine needle it was frozen.

I live in northern Illinois too and we have had several days in a row of temps in the 40's. I went out yesterday and managed to dig 2 pennies and 2 quarters then gave it up. Even under the leaves and pine needle it was frozen.

Whereabouts in Northern Illinois?

I wanted to get out this weekend, but didn't have time. We're hosting a Christmas party next weekend and had too much to do for that. :(

northern Ill area

I am near the little burg of Leaf River about 30 miles west of Rockford.

Sounds like a plan to me. The only time I ever hunted with someone was back in the 60's when I and another guy went a few times with our homemade detectors. I found a bronze medallion from a worlds fair, a boy scout neckerchief slide and at the fairgrounds, a few zillion light bulb bases. They didn't work all that well.

Back
Top Bottom