Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 12-29-2019, 11:26 PM
Elite Member

Default Cleaning crusty copper.

If I dig a copper coin or token that has a nice green patina and the detail is visible I'm content to leave it alone. But when its so crusty you can barely make out what it is I feel the need to bring the detail to light. Yesterday I dug a Ihp, a 1909 and only at a certain angle and light could you make out the date. So I had at it and it came out a bit better than I hoped. I soaked it for about 30 minutes with Gojo, then rubbed gently between my thump and forefinger using my thumbnail to scrape some of the crust. Dryed it off without rubbing and then buffed it with Ren wax and Q-tip.
Attached Images

-Buffs 3 - Vs 1 - Sterling 1 Clad-10.57

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:06 PM
Elite Member

That IHC came out nice.

But this may not work with all copper coins/tokens.
Many do not have a hard green patina under the crud. Instead they have a patina that has softer corrosion underneath and is easily lifted when wet.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:52 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by waltr View post
That IHC came out nice.

Many do not have a hard green patina under the crud. Instead they have a patina that has softer corrosion underneath and is easily lifted when wet.
Yep. I don't get my coppers wet unless I"m going all the way and tumbling them. The green patina is so fragile on some of them that even a quick soak and rubbing in olive oil will start to remove it. Yet, others with the thick patina look better and better with the same treatment.

I do need to try this Gojo method. I've seen enough examples now to believe there's something to it, especially on the nickels.

Minelab Equinox 800; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Old 12-30-2019, 01:56 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post
If I dig a copper coin or token that has a nice green patina and the detail is visible I'm content to leave it alone. But when its so crusty you can barely make out what it is I feel the need to bring the detail to light. Yesterday I dug a Ihp, a 1909 and only at a certain angle and light could you make out the date. So I had at it and it came out a bit better than I hoped. I soaked it for about 30 minutes with Gojo, then rubbed gently between my thump and forefinger using my thumbnail to scrape some of the crust. Dryed it off without rubbing and then buffed it with Ren wax and Q-tip.
Is this the Gojo original or natural formula? I think the natural has an orange label and the original is white and red.

Minelab Equinox 800; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Old 12-30-2019, 07:15 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ToySoldier View post
Is this the Gojo original or natural formula? I think the natural has an orange label and the original is white and red.
TS I'm looking into Gojo without pumice. Although if you don't rub it hard it doesn't seem to take away detail. It also does a nice job of loosening the black gunk on war nickels. Good luck in 2020, Mark
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2019, 12:22 PM
Elite Member

Nice job cleaning the Indian. Most of the ones I've found are so pitted that cleaning them doesn't matter.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

Default I agree

Originally Posted by waltr View post
That IHC came out nice.

Yes I hear you. I would only do it if you have no other recourse and are thinking of throwing it in the tumbler I would try this first. HH Mark