I broke my really strange Silver GW Quarter drought.

Fooleeze

I don't really have any picture to share, but I'm happy to report that I FINALLY found a Silver GW Quarter today. I'm sure it's not a big deal for most of you, but for me this is a monkey that's been on my back for a while. And I'll tell you why. . .

I've been detecting for about 2 years now. I get out almost every weekend. My first silver was a SLQ. My second silver quarter was a 1906 Canadian Silver Quarter. My 3rd silver quarter was another SLQ. My fourth silver quarter was a Barber. No GW, which seemed really seemed strange. I've found a lot of good coins over these two years. . .

6 US large cents
1 morgan silver dollar
1 Barber half dollar
1 1856 Canadian Large cent
2 SLQs, 1 Barber Quarter
1 Barber Dime, 1 seated dime
maybe 10 merc's, and another ten silver rosies, even 1 1959 silver canadian dime
1 1887 canadian 5-cent silver
probably 100 wheaties
20 IHPs
two flying eagles
a 2-cent piece
10 v nickels
3 shield nickels
2 buffalo nickels
5 war nickels
Counterfeit 8 reale. . .

But after two years. . . no Silver GW quarter. Until today. I have no idea why it was so elusive, but I'm glad to have this monkey off my back.

Thanks for listening to my sob story. :) Hopefully there are plenty more silvers coming my way!

Last edited:
WOW! You sure have found some nice old coins in a few years there Fooly! More than most..That Morgan dollar specifically...!:shock:..

Well, now that you got your GWQ, you can set your sights on a Walker and a BF Half! You already got the Barber! :laughing:

Thanks, Mud-puppy. Yeah, that's kinda my point, I've come across a lot of nice coins. . . but for some reason couldn't find that GW (Which I would have assumed would be one of my more common silver finds). Hopefully that's the start of a great year.

This GW was found in a yard of a 1940s house. It was a light, mixed signal, but certainly hinted at some high-80s VDI on the AT Max. I dug the plug, and about 4 inches down found a piece of foil. I almost resigned myself to the fact that the foil fooled my machine based on its size and orientation. So I flipped the plug back over and gave it a final swing for good measure, and sure enough, the 86-87 was still in the hole! Pulled the plug back out and one more shovel-scoop later, out it popped.

Morale of the story, always re-check your holes. :)

I liked your follow up post here Fooly! Thanks!...As a mega cladder, I gotta believe theres a lot of old multidenom stacks and slants hidden in the 'scrap' signals out there waiting to be found!..Multidenom stacks of clad dont give off a decent signal at all...just the profile of something strange down in there so a guy takes a stab....

.Heck just one $5 gold coin slanted on top of a Morgan Dollar with a jacknife or harmonica in the mix will certainly sound like scrap...heck, just one buff nickle on top of a Barber half will too....Heck, an IHP on top of a $1 gold has gotta sound horrible.. a whole cigar tin or paint pail full of Double Eagles has gotta sound like a hubcap! Probably disced out! Just guessing here...

I experiment all the time with a fistfull of multidenom clad under the coil here in the living room and its an eye opening experience...

Thinking back, the best finds for me have all been hidden in the 'scrap' signals nobody would ever dig...:?:.So maybe in 2020, a guy should look at the scrap signals a little bit harder and dig some of them up?..

Congrats on finally getting your Silver GW . Nothing like getting those bucket listers out of the way first though . I really envy you on that Barber Half and the Shield Nickels !

Sob story my butt, that's some list of impressive finds. You have my heart felt sympathy. lol. Congrats on the bucketlister, I know the feeling, why won't that one coin will not show up under the coil. For me its a seated coin. Well done, Mark

Congrats on the GW! Wow that is strange after so many other harder coins to come by. Heck you have at least 3 on that list I haven't found and I'm going on 10 years starting in 1987 with two long absences from the hobby thrown in.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Congrats on finally digging the silver GW. In three years of hunting I have only found 4 silver GWs, 1 SLQ, and 1 Barber quarter. It seems I have to find around ten silver dimes for every silver quarter found. I have only found one Walking Liberty half so far. Not a lot of old around here. As a matter of fact silver is not at all easy to find where I live. Your killing it if you ask me. It took me until late into my third year to find my first Barber dime even though I found Seated dimes my first and second years detecting.

Back
Top Bottom