Saturday’s hunt. Failed recovery and saved by the strips.

DiggingThePNW

Forum Supporter
So I went out yesterday expecting potential showers and it ended up being nice. The day started at a school where a women lost a 14k cross on a 14k rope chain. The area was small and mostly paved where she walked so it was either picked up or lost elsewhere. Hit the school anyhow and it sucked. Found clad some trash and a older buckle maybe 40’s. After that I decided to try these two older parks that used to be schools. One was filled in and recently raised a little it appears it was very quite. The other park was just trash and one wheat penny I assume this location has been hit by others. And I ripped my gloves so had to switch to the back up coated ones I am not a fan of. So was getting irritated.

So I went to the town of Fairhaven and hit one of the three areas I plan to curb strip over the next month. I did approximately 4 blocks both ways and it ended up saving my day. Only had one jerk come out of his house and not approve. It started with a Washington state tax token
56095730-5BA9-4211-AE9E-EC423BCCC589.jpg
E65CB23D-501C-4A2C-A212-DD9381D97DE9.jpg
D939364F-D7CA-4B78-A14A-E9F05B95997A.jpeg

Then found two wheats a toy car top and then another barber. This one is a 1902s unfortunately my touch has been horrible lately. Not sure if it is the hard ground conditions or my lack of patience while digging. Probably both. This makes silver 46 if I count the seeded hunt and dug on strips and fields/homesites number 23. Really pissed I hit this one it was a low mintage for that year.
69835AD2-68D9-49AE-8C0B-6D251E6226B1.jpg
6C8EBB8C-0A0A-4038-B3F9-5AA16EA13A82.jpg
E9251076-FBBF-4EC0-AE66-27130EB9C0A2.jpeg
6CE9A2D4-6ADE-4E1E-AB64-4DF09E55EB8B.jpeg
077CFF07-F750-4A3A-AC4B-FA8DA5B3AFB6.jpeg

Ended up with a decent take for the day overall. Got what I think is a end to a instrument it’s got a ball in it. Found two toys the tank the car top and a part of a third one. Six Canadian pennies, also another old lipstick container it appears there is some markings I am trying to clean up. Only what is it is that brass instrument end.

CAE0D063-25B9-4AC0-AAE5-BAFBC655E858.jpeg
7E066A9A-C00E-4B76-8B44-8AFDCD38B0AF.jpeg
ABE4461D-93C7-450A-B76D-BF3ECB1A684D.jpeg

Getting close to my goals.
100 wheats. YTD-68
50 silvers. YTD-46
1 gold. YTD-0
5 IHP. YTD-4
5 silver rings. YTD-4
1 religious medallion. YTD-2 (one .925)
1 skeleton key. YTD-0

Some of these goals I have increased overall this year initially it was 10 silvers. I had zero yet detecting in first two years. After I hit 10 I increased to 20. Went to that seeded hunt and had to adjust that goal. So made it 50 counting them so needed 27 on strips, homes and such. Only 4 away now. That one is very huge to me cause I didn’t really expect it. What changed for me was plain and simply CURB STRIPS. Seriously that has been huge for me. Also my wheat total is higher it’s really almost 100 cause I found 29 at that seeded hunt but just decided to negate that instead of a separate category. I had one Indian head before this year. It was the first coin I found at the homesite it was a beautiful 1888 best condition ihp yet. I found my two seated coins and the walker as well as other period relics this year there. I spent close to a thousand hours there learning my machine and in hindsight I should of hit curb strips sooner.

Prior to this year back in late 2019 I found a 14k necklace at a kids playground while taking our three girls now 3,5 and 9 to play. That to date is my only gold detecting. Next year I am gonna add a gold ring and junk ring goal as I will be buying a ckg scoop soon. But currently I don’t focus on that tone, id or area for heavy ring drops. However that necklace got my kid kinda into it she has a 600 and it is about to get a hot pink shaft from Steve that I will be paying for in the next couple days. Maybe she will want to get out more soon.

This year for me has been a breakout year. First two were very very rough. I actually filled 20 gallons of a 60 gallon garbage tote with square nails and other older nails from that old homesite alone. Detecting old logging camps, homesteads, and a couple ccc camps was fun but this year I have found my preferred method to date CURB STRIPS. I still try and acquire permissions but they are few and far between.

I know a lot of you have done this for years and I envy you. I had more money and all the time in the world before we had kids and I missed out on some killer spots one I even owned. However I am very thankful for Brandon Neice turning me on to the hobby and make me want to go out and dirt fish America. Next year my goals will be higher, I will travel farther, dig deeper and research my brains out. Thanks all who have unknowingly helped me here on this forum the last 3 years.

And just to make the barber coin part of this new normal talk I appeared to give her a mask not just a scratch a whole face removal apparently lol.

Nice finds PNW! Way to stick to it and recover some goodies. And yep, in some towns, the curb strips can really produce... had a couple of towns here in Western Montana that the curb strips were better than the yards! I remember one block on just one side of the street where my buddy pulled about 8 silver dimes and one silver quarter, my side of the street had a Silver Peace Dollar w/ 2 silver dimes in the hole, plus Stander, and several single silver dimes. Just depends I guess, but some strips are really good!

Nice finds PNW! Way to stick to it and recover some goodies. And yep, in some towns, the curb strips can really produce... had a couple of towns here in Western Montana that the curb strips were better than the yards! I remember one block on just one side of the street where my buddy pulled about 8 silver dimes and one silver quarter, my side of the street had a Silver Peace Dollar w/ 2 silver dimes in the hole, plus Stander, and several single silver dimes. Just depends I guess, but some strips are really good!

Yeah I am trying to ask for more permissions. But some are so against it. I know that would help me find more but the strips are a huge pull for me this year I am gonna try further towns that are a little older and more trafficked and ask there as well. I am sure those areas were probably hit but worth the shot.

Congrats on the Barber, wheats and other goodies. Looks like you shouldn't have any trouble hitting your goals, Good luck, Mark

Curbstrips have and continue to be VERY productive. Even strips that have been hit before continue to produce. Great job on finding the goodies regardless of the permissions

Yeah I am trying to ask for more permissions. But some are so against it. I know that would help me find more but the strips are a huge pull for me this year I am gonna try further towns that are a little older and more trafficked and ask there as well. I am sure those areas were probably hit but worth the shot.

I think you have a good chance of more silvers in the curbs strips of those towns. I did a bit of detecting waaaay back ca 1980-83 in Bellingham, Blaine, Fairhaven etc, but didn't even think to check any curb strips as the parks and fields still had lots of silvers. Battersby Field (an old ballpark) in Bellingham must have given me at least 100 Silvers!!!

I think you have a good chance of more silvers in the curbs strips of those towns. I did a bit of detecting waaaay back ca 1980-83 in Bellingham, Blaine, Fairhaven etc, but didn't even think to check any curb strips as the parks and fields still had lots of silvers. Battersby Field (an old ballpark) in Bellingham must have given me at least 100 Silvers!!!

Battersby field, I have thought about hitting that spot lol. Numerous times I have really considered it. Figured it had been hit. So could you explain what all you know about drakes potential landing area by padden creek. You once mentioned the sign about the chalice.

So I went out yesterday expecting potential showers and it ended up being nice. The day started at a school where a women lost a 14k cross on a 14k rope chain. The area was small and mostly paved where she walked so it was either picked up or lost elsewhere. Hit the school anyhow and it sucked. Found clad some trash and a older buckle maybe 40’s. After that I decided to try these two older parks that used to be schools. One was filled in and recently raised a little it appears it was very quite. The other park was just trash and one wheat penny I assume this location has been hit by others. And I ripped my gloves so had to switch to the back up coated ones I am not a fan of. So was getting irritated.

So I went to the town of Fairhaven and hit one of the three areas I plan to curb strip over the next month. I did approximately 4 blocks both ways and it ended up saving my day. Only had one jerk come out of his house and not approve. It started with a Washington state tax token
View attachment 489777
View attachment 489778
View attachment 489779

Then found two wheats a toy car top and then another barber. This one is a 1902s unfortunately my touch has been horrible lately. Not sure if it is the hard ground conditions or my lack of patience while digging. Probably both. This makes silver 46 if I count the seeded hunt and dug on strips and fields/homesites number 23. Really pissed I hit this one it was a low mintage for that year.
View attachment 489780
View attachment 489781
View attachment 489782
View attachment 489783
View attachment 489784

Ended up with a decent take for the day overall. Got what I think is a end to a instrument it’s got a ball in it. Found two toys the tank the car top and a part of a third one. Six Canadian pennies, also another old lipstick container it appears there is some markings I am trying to clean up. Only what is it is that brass instrument end.

View attachment 489785
View attachment 489786
View attachment 489787

Getting close to my goals.
100 wheats. YTD-68
50 silvers. YTD-46
1 gold. YTD-0
5 IHP. YTD-4
5 silver rings. YTD-4
1 religious medallion. YTD-2 (one .925)
1 skeleton key. YTD-0

Some of these goals I have increased overall this year initially it was 10 silvers. I had zero yet detecting in first two years. After I hit 10 I increased to 20. Went to that seeded hunt and had to adjust that goal. So made it 50 counting them so needed 27 on strips, homes and such. Only 4 away now. That one is very huge to me cause I didn’t really expect it. What changed for me was plain and simply CURB STRIPS. Seriously that has been huge for me. Also my wheat total is higher it’s really almost 100 cause I found 29 at that seeded hunt but just decided to negate that instead of a separate category. I had one Indian head before this year. It was the first coin I found at the homesite it was a beautiful 1888 best condition ihp yet. I found my two seated coins and the walker as well as other period relics this year there. I spent close to a thousand hours there learning my machine and in hindsight I should of hit curb strips sooner.

Prior to this year back in late 2019 I found a 14k necklace at a kids playground while taking our three girls now 3,5 and 9 to play. That to date is my only gold detecting. Next year I am gonna add a gold ring and junk ring goal as I will be buying a ckg scoop soon. But currently I don’t focus on that tone, id or area for heavy ring drops. However that necklace got my kid kinda into it she has a 600 and it is about to get a hot pink shaft from Steve that I will be paying for in the next couple days. Maybe she will want to get out more soon.

This year for me has been a breakout year. First two were very very rough. I actually filled 20 gallons of a 60 gallon garbage tote with square nails and other older nails from that old homesite alone. Detecting old logging camps, homesteads, and a couple ccc camps was fun but this year I have found my preferred method to date CURB STRIPS. I still try and acquire permissions but they are few and far between.

I know a lot of you have done this for years and I envy you. I had more money and all the time in the world before we had kids and I missed out on some killer spots one I even owned. However I am very thankful for Brandon Neice turning me on to the hobby and make me want to go out and dirt fish America. Next year my goals will be higher, I will travel farther, dig deeper and research my brains out. Thanks all who have unknowingly helped me here on this forum the last 3 years.

curb strips are "consistently" productive, and generally are "untouched!" no body wants confrontation so a lot of 'em have gone unhunted!.fine by me! I'll hunt 'em until I "croak!" just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

curb strips are "consistently" productive, and generally are "untouched!" no body wants confrontation so a lot of 'em have gone unhunted!.fine by me! I'll hunt 'em until I "croak!" just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Couldn’t agree more. It has made my year for sure.

Have you done around pt defiance like fort steilacoom area?

Fort Steilacoom is prohibited for detecting (you are talking about the current Western Washington Medical Hospital). Pt Defiance is an interesting place, tough location for various reasons....if you are thinking the "beaches" yes there are a quite a few detectorists that focus on the shorelines.

As for where i have detected....I cannot confirm or deny that I have ever been to either of those places. PM if you need details.

Back
Top Bottom